Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 08:02:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189879 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18417 Members
Latest Member: bhiomapion
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Other S2G Games
| |-+  Heroes of Newerth
| | |-+  Strategies
| | | |-+  Hero Guide: Soul Reaper [Michael`]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hero Guide: Soul Reaper [Michael`]  (Read 21850 times)
Michael`

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:03:17 am »

Disclaimer
This guide is meant to be taken as such.  It is a guide.  It's not an ultimate authority on the best way to play the Soul Reaper, and I don't claim it to be.  This is intended to give you some idea of a useful plan of attack with this Hero.  Suggestions and comments are certainly welcome.

The Soul Reaper is born in the depths of Hell itself and has risen to the surface on a mission to capture the souls of Newerth. With the authority to instantly judge those he comes in contact with, even the strongest of the Legion wither when he approaches.

Stats

Attack Type=Ranged
Attack Damage=41-60
Attack Range=600

Movementspeed=290
Turnrate=230
Armor=1.10
MagicArmor=5.5

Strength=16
Agility=15
Intelligence=22

Strength per level=1.6
Agility per level=1.5
Intelligence per level=2

Spells

Judgement

The Soul Reaper instantly judges those around him,
determining their fate.
Enemies take damage while allies are healed.
Level 1 : Deals 75 Magic damage to enemies and heals allies for 50 in a radius of 400
Level 2 : Deals 125 Magic damage to enemies and heals allies for 75 in a radius of 450
Level 3 : Deals 200 Magic damage to enemies and heals allies for 100 in a radius of 475
Level 4 : Deals 275 Magic damage to enemies and heals allies for 130 in a radius of 500
Mana cost 125/145/165/185
Cooldown 8/7/6/5 seconds

Comments:  Some people might look at this skill and think "hey good raid heal mid battle" but this is not the case at all.  If you're in the middle of the group, you're probably going to die.  This is a very mana intensive spell, and it's not as strong as it might seem.  That said, it is situationaly useful.  In fact, there are three reasons to use this ability and it's pretty much never worth casting unless two of the three conditions are met.
1) You need to heal yourself because you're low hp.
2) Creeps are low and you want to get some last hits.  (If #3 is maxed, then its useful if you can get 3 last hits or more.)
3) You are trying to save your friend (or prolong his death).

Withering Presence

Simply being near the Soul Reaper is too much for anyone,
dealing damage to anyone near him slowly.
Level 1 : Any enemies in radius are damage for .4% of their max health per second.
Level 2 : Any enemies in radius are damage for .6% of their max health per second.
Level 3 : Any enemies in radius are damage for .8% of their max health per second.
Level 4 : Any enemies in radius are damage for 1% of their max health per second.
Mana cost n/a
Cooldown n/a

Comments:  This is a fantastic spell early game, and while it seems to not have much use late game, when chasing it is fantastic.  If you are chasing someone the aura will kill them slowly.  Most people when laning don't pay too close attention to gradual HP loss.  Because of this, you can really make any melee pay by maxing this skill as early as you can.  Further, the range is greater than most early spells, so just being within 1000 yards of your opponent is enough to slowly wither them down.

Inhuman Nature

The Soul Reaperís Inhuman Nature lets him regain mana
when he kills anything.
Level 1 : Restores 12 Mana per kill
Level 2 : Restores 24 Mana per kill
Level 3 : Restores 36 Mana per kill
Level 4 : Restores 48 Mana per kill
Mana cost n/a
Cooldown n/a

Comments:  This is a difficult skill to gauge in terms of when to level it up because it depends on how you use #1 (and to a lesser extend #4).  You'll want to max it by lvl 15, but before that, it's really up to you how to level it.  You won't take any points until at least lvl 4, and by then you'll get a feel for when to put points into it.

Demonic Execution

The Soul Reaper summons a Demonic Execution
against the target, stunning and dealing damage based
on how close to death they are.
Level 1 : The amount of health the target is missing is multiplied by .4 and dealt as Magic Damage. Stuns for 1.5 seconds
Level 2 : The amount of health the target is missing is multiplied by .6 and dealt as Magic Damage. Stuns for 1.5 seconds
Level 3 :  The amount of health the target is missing is multiplied by .9 and dealt as Magic Damage. Stuns for 1.5 seconds
Mana Cost 175/340/500
Cooldown 100/85/70
This ability can be boosted by Staff of the Master

Comments: This is your bread and butter skill and what defines your role for the team.  Maxed, anything at half health you kill with one shot.  DO NOT use it as a stun unless you are completely sure it will lead to a kill (either by teammates or otherwise).  It only lasts 1.5 seconds (very short for a stun) and is too valuable as a finishing move to not be used as one.  If you're running for your life, don't bother using this to stun, because it will only increase your chance of dying.  You'll have to stop to cast it, and you're increasing the likelihood of an enemy cooldown coming up.  ONLY use it as a finisher.

Strategy
General Stuff:
- A motivating reason for playing this class is because of its ability to nuke tanks.  Because the ulti and aura scales with Max HP, you'll really see Soul Reaper shine in games against 2+ tanks.
- You are a terrible farmer.  Even late game, it's difficult to jungle.  Just accept it and move on.
- This is not a solo class by any stretch.  You don't have any reasonable crowd controlling mechanism at all.  You're a support unit, so make sure you play like it.  You can lane solo if needed, but try to lane with someone else in early game.
- You are an INT character, but INT is basically worthless to you.  This is because both your aura and your ulti scale off the max HP of the enemy.  You only need enough INT to be able to use your ulti on CD.
- Try to always stay in a group of at least 2.  Your ulti is worthless unless you can use it as a finisher.

Itemization:
- I always get Ghost Marchers first.  On the opener, I always buy Marchers and Runes of Blight.  I do this because as a Support with a slow drain aura, it is highly useful to be able to outrun other units in early game.
- Staff of the Master, Codex and Behemoth Heart are your goals as far as items go.  The idea here is to boost your ulti, either by damage (Staff basically gives you an extra level on it) or by reduced cooldown (BH), or by complementing it with a smaller nuke.
- Some might argue argue that Codex is the best item in the game for Soul Reaper, and I am tempted to agree, depending on how the game shapes up.  A fully upgraded Codex lvl 5 does 800 damage for 100 mana, and pretty much guarantees that anything you're fighting will get in nuke range for your ulti.  This is a MAJOR combo not to be overlooked.  Even level 1 for 500 damage (and a bit more mana at 175) is well worth the investment, as it gives you much greater flexibility with your ulti.
- You may consider Restoration Stone to get a double ulti in a big fight, but personally I've found that I prefer the HP survivability boost.
- Other nice items depending on the comp you play against might include Helm of the Black Legion (stacked melee) or Shaman's Headdress (stacked ranged)
- Don't waste your precious gold on items that buff intel or damage because your main spells don't get much benefit.  You're likely best off itemizing for survivability or enhancing your ulti in some form.

Lane Tactics:
- Soul Reaper definitely likes to lane as long as possible.  You'll want to play very passively in your lane and (moreso than any other class I can think of) stay in it as long as possible.
- One reason Soul Reaper is such a great lane partner is because of the slow bleeding aura.  lower hp enemies are less inclined to attack you, and the gap slowly widens the longer they are near.  This allows you to stay in your lane longer (watch for ganks though!) and focus on hits/denies.

Skills:
- You'll want to max Withering Presence (#2) as soon as possible.  It is overpowered with early laning.
- Unless you're laning early game against a mana drainer, never take lvl 1 Inhuman Nature (#3) before lvl 1 Judgment (#1).
- When leveling Judgment (#1) and Inhuman Nature (#3) keep in mind their synergistic nature.  If you're having mana problems, stick a point into IN, otherwise work up Judgment.  Because high level Judgment is SO mana intensive in early game, I usually don't max it out until lvl 15.
- Take Demonic Execution at 6, 11, 16.  No exceptions here.  This skill is too powerful and too important to put it off.  The ONLY reason you'd ever wait is if you're in position for a kill, and have just enough mana for the current rank.  This is a rare occurrence though.

It sounds like this Hero is pretty gimped, why ever play him?
There aren't many things more enjoyable than seeing someone with half hp die in one shot... and if you get a Codex, within 1 second you can nuke pretty much anything in the game from just under full hp to dead.  This character is secretly highly overpowered, and you just have to know how to take advantage of the enemy's over-aggressiveness.

A well played Soul Reaper will keep the other team in constant fear and it really controls the game.  Knowing that you can easily get 2-shotted with near full life takes the zeal out of the push for most.  Cheesy

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:27:22 pm by Michael` » Logged
Anti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

codex is quite bad item for him, Blood stone would give him more  benefits than codex,since he is usually build as tank. And upgrading it is the worst thing you could possible do

OzzO
Shag Pwnerer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »

yup, not too fond of codex on soul reaper. although it should be very fun to play with codex -> execution -> HEADSHOT!

i usually go for ring of the teacher, power supply, steamboots, nome's wisdom and then sacstone

gr. Ozzo

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:16:38 pm »

I normally go for marchers and sac stone first. after that nomes. and if I farmed well I get a codex too yeah

Tradius

HoN Strategist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:07:12 am »

Agreed. In late game and usually in mid game, your team needs you be pumping that aoe heal for them and aoe nuke as well. You aren't a hero to pick other heroes off by yourself, you have a team to help you do that dps leading to your ultimate. Additionally, the reason why Soul reaper is one of the main support team contributors in the game is his effectiveness in any team battle with aoe skills, aoe buffs (nome's) and debuffs (withering presence), and his oh-so-useful ultimate of his to finish a hero off or just for the periodic stun. This is why Soul Reaper is usually the #1 targeted hero in a team battle, which is why blood stone is crucial for survivability and mana as well as aoe buffs such as nome's wisdom.

In short, I agree the people who replied before me with the blood stone / nome's item build, except I believe that even after blood stone, you should not even think about a codex yet. Remember your role as a hero! You are support, and nothing else. That is why I suggest either more aoe or things that can keep you and your teammates alive such as barrier idol or demonic breastplate. Otherwise, instead of codex, it would probably be smarter to grab Staff of the Masters for the stat boost as well as ultimate enhancement.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
pogoman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:20:46 pm »

A couple things I disagree with you.

I usually max out judgement before I do withering Presence, but I understand your argument for maxing out wither presence first. I've thought about it but i usually prefer judgement.

I think you should never any points in inhuman nature. I think the technqiue is horrible. Your way better off with stats and just don't use judgement to push lanes. If you only use it in battles against heroes I find you usualy have enough mana.

I usually get sacrificial stone, then barbed armor and if i can behemoth's heart. Why?

The sacrificial stone gives you a big health bonus and all the mana you would ever want. You don't need inhuman nature and can get stats because of this. I used to get ulti stick, but I find it's not really that much of an improvement. Here's why.

(1-x)-(x)*1.2=0
1=x*2.2
1/2.2=.454545 which is the percent of health that will be killed (this ignores magic resistance though)

Without ulti upgrader
(1-x)-x*.9=0
1=x*1.9
1/1.9=0.526315789

So the upgrade in the ulti means you have can cast your ult essentially 7% earlier.
However, I think you are better of having a big health base to survive to that point.

Plus if you have this big health and you have barbed armor, combined with wither presence sometimes a person can be chasing you
and they get they damage themselves a bit and then you ulti them. I prefer this over being able to ulti a little earlier.

Learn the Strategy First so people don't think your a noob even if you are.
Heroes of Newerth Guides
_Wanker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:16 am »

What about the ult booster? 1.2xdamage = locked kill even a bit above half health...pretty nice
Michael`

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:12 am »

I think it's interesting that there is a prevailing view that the soul reaper should be using his aoe in a healing/detriment capacity in the middle of a fight, and also that this makes Soul Reaper the primary target in a group battle.

While I agree that SR is the primary target, I disagree it's because of his healing/aoe.  It's because a) the hero has no evacuation ability, b) a joke of a stun, and c) that joke of a stun will kill you if you dip below half hp.

If SR is ever in the middle of hte fight, he's stunned and dead well before he has the chance to pop off his aoe more than once.  If he is actually able to cycle his aoe, this necessitates that there are sufficient stunners and cc'ers present, which further implies that the fight doesn't need his 100 hp heal every five seconds.

Instead, at least I find it is the case that SR's real value is in creating a minus one matchup.  Codex + Nuke effectively takes one player out of the fight, which changes the mechanics of the battle.  And he can do this to almost any hero, and especially most tanks.  This then allows for the aoe healing/dps/withering you mention to sustain teammates while they finish.

If you're looking for SR as a heal/aoe support first and a finisher second, I think you'll find your death column a bit more inflated.
Anti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »

I think it's interesting that there is a prevailing view that the soul reaper should be using his aoe in a healing/detriment capacity in the middle of a fight, and also that this makes Soul Reaper the primary target in a group battle.

While I agree that SR is the primary target, I disagree it's because of his healing/aoe.  It's because a) the hero has no evacuation ability, b) a joke of a stun, and c) that joke of a stun will kill you if you dip below half hp.

If SR is ever in the middle of hte fight, he's stunned and dead well before he has the chance to pop off his aoe more than once.  If he is actually able to cycle his aoe, this necessitates that there are sufficient stunners and cc'ers present, which further implies that the fight doesn't need his 100 hp heal every five seconds.

Instead, at least I find it is the case that SR's real value is in creating a minus one matchup.  Codex + Nuke effectively takes one player out of the fight, which changes the mechanics of the battle.  And he can do this to almost any hero, and especially most tanks.  This then allows for the aoe healing/dps/withering you mention to sustain teammates while they finish.

If you're looking for SR as a heal/aoe support first and a finisher second, I think you'll find your death column a bit more inflated.

wow, On what newb server do u play on? without hp(which i  assume u wont have since u spend all money on a stupid codex) hewill drop in tb  in 1 behe ulti or 2 hits by a carry
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:48:44 pm by Anti » Logged

darkace

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 11:36:19 am »

wow, On what newb server do u play on? without hp(which i  assume u wont have since u spend all money on a stupid codex) hewill drop in tb  in 1 behe ulti or 2 hits by a carry

hello? did you even read the rest of his guide? he clearly stated that Behemoth Hearth is a must item, read first before commenting moron and fyi it needs a behemoth combo to actually kill SR not 1 ulti
darkace

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 11:42:02 am »

I also agree about SR should not be a healer. 100hp/5 sec means nothing in the game, not to mention the high mana cost, however, rather than a codex I prefer a Mock of Brilliance, both MoB and Withering Presence could deal a large amount AoE damage, nevertheless your guide is great

I also prefer using Shrunken Head as well
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: