Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2020, 03:36:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190045 Posts in 11004 Topics by 18532 Members
Latest Member: Aerith
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Support Forum
| | |-+  About Invalid sv frame [nnnn]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: About Invalid sv frame [nnnn]  (Read 2206 times)
Tux

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:02:15 pm »

I'm experiencing some lag issues, due to my bad wireless setup signal.

Console (and debug.log) clearly show the (in)famous message "Invalid sv frame [nnnn]".
Digging the forum gave me the info about this message relating it to network packet loss, which pairs perfectly to my setup.

But the very strange thing is the network usage: it boosts a lot, doubling or tripling (or even more) bandwidth usage, from an usual 5KB/s (up to 15KB/s during action) to a whopping 40 or 50KB/s (that's KiloBytes, not bits).
I can easily provide data to confirm this, just ask Wink

Could that simply be that server re-sends the reported invalid frames, which by the time they are delivered become even more invalid (just my guessing here) ?
This would create a loophole with no exit.
Suggestion: if this is the case, why not just avoid retrasmitting packets? We're on a UDP stream: anything older than (say) 1 sec has to be just discarded.

Thanks for your attention

This message is written on 100% recyclable electrons.
Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »

Graphs of savage bandwidth usages would be great. I'll investigate it futher once i'm back from holiday Smiley
Tux

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:40:06 pm »

Actually I've recorded just one session of play (speccing really, but that doesn't matter Smiley ) with wireshark (aka ethereal).
It's about 440 secs long and less than 5MB uncompressed libpcap file.

Wireshark's own chart analysis is cool enough for a first look, but I'm also pursuing an entire session videorecording in parallel with TCP/UDP dumping, to just show occurrencies of events.
Obviously that's a more advanced thingie, but just plain network sniffing is easy enough to be handled.

Just a little note: upon a (very) quick check of details, looks like many (if not all) UDP packets, both from client and from server carry checksum errors (and wireshark adresses that).
I know this can be mangled by any router during the trip, but I consider worth checking relevant netcode.

Btw, happy holidays Smiley

[EDIT] Bah, fsck it! Here you can find attached the mentioned pcap logfile, for your reference.

* savage.pcap.tar.bz2 (1702.19 KB - downloaded 91 times.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:50:25 pm by Tux » Logged

This message is written on 100% recyclable electrons.
Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:43 am »

Actually I've recorded just one session of play (speccing really, but that doesn't matter Smiley ) with wireshark (aka ethereal).
It's about 440 secs long and less than 5MB uncompressed libpcap file.

Wireshark's own chart analysis is cool enough for a first look, but I'm also pursuing an entire session videorecording in parallel with TCP/UDP dumping, to just show occurrencies of events.
Obviously that's a more advanced thingie, but just plain network sniffing is easy enough to be handled.

Just a little note: upon a (very) quick check of details, looks like many (if not all) UDP packets, both from client and from server carry checksum errors (and wireshark adresses that).
I know this can be mangled by any router during the trip, but I consider worth checking relevant netcode.

Btw, happy holidays Smiley

[EDIT] Bah, fsck it! Here you can find attached the mentioned pcap logfile, for your reference.

I'm back from my holiday maybe we can have a look at this issue together sometime over irc or IM? Can you send me the wireshark dump? Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: