Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 06:54:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189880 Posts in 10982 Topics by 18419 Members
Latest Member: cimaolonas
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Other S2G Games
| |-+  Heroes of Newerth
| | |-+  Strategies
| | | |-+  Hero Guide: Pharaoh [Voko]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hero Guide: Pharaoh [Voko]  (Read 14325 times)
evilleader

Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:40:13 pm »

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I'm going to tell you all how I play the Pharaoh, which is the mirror of Goblin Clockwerk from DotA. This guide assumes that you've atleast played this hero once and checked out its abilities as they are not explained in-depth. Also, you are to be familiar with terms such as lasthit, deny and so on.
(These are my personal views and people should not be offended or enraged if they don't agree with me)

Pharaoh

Starting items:
Ring of the Teacher

+.65 Mana Regeneration Aura, +3 Armor Aura and +6 Damage.

Runes of Blight

Allows the bearer to consume a tree, restoring 115 hit points over 16 seconds. 3 charges.

Items to aim for quickly:
Sustainer

+5 HP Regeneration, +125% Mana Regeneration.

Marchers

+50 Movement Speed.

Items to aim for eventually:
Enhanced Marchers

+16 Damage, +7 armor, +70 Movement Speed. Can be cast to ignore unit pathing and give a movement speed increase for 5 seconds. Casting spells removes the buff. Cooldown: 10 seconds.

Runed Axe

+65 Damage, +150 Mana Regeneration, +6 HP Regeneration and 35% cleaving attack in a 225 AoE.

Good items lategame:
Behemoth's Heart

+35 Strength, +300 Hit Points, +1% HP Regeneration.

Mock of Brilliance

+60 Damage, 8% Evasion, and damages nearby units for 35 Damage a second.

Skills:
Lvl.1 Tormented Soul(Rocket Flare)
Lvl.2 Hellfire(Battery Assault)
Lvl.3 Tormented Soul
Lvl.4 Hellfire
Lvl.5 Tormented Soul
Lvl.6 Wrath of the Pharaoh(Hookshot)
Lvl.7 Tormented Soul
Lvl.8 Wall of Mummies(Power Cog)
Lvl.9 Hellfire
Lvl.10 Wall of Mummies
Lvl.11 Wrath of the Pharaoh
Lvl.12 Hellfire
Lvl.13 Wall of Mummies
Lvl.14 Wall of Mummies
Lvl.15 Stats
Lvl.16 Wrath of the Pharaoh
Lvl.17-25 Stats

Okay that's the skillbuild that I use.

Note:
Sometimes I go full Hellfire before I spec mummies, it depends on what hero I'm up against and if they got Enhanced Marchers(Phase Boots). If they activate the Marchers they can just walk out of my Wall of Mummies which leaves me standing there, looking an idiot, unless I got ultimate ready. I suspect this is a bug and will be fixed eventually, but right now you have to counter it.

Explanation
Right, time for some explanation, I think I owe you that much for reading this far. I'm going to start off with why I buy these items. As you can see I always focus mana regen, since I buy Ring of the Teacher instead of Talisman of Regeneration or the standard early +stat build. The reason is that you want your spells ready and you want mana for them, this hero is a combination hero so you'll need many of your abilities to make successful kills.

Skills
Tormented Soul. The spell which will help you get gold and help harassing your enemies earlygame, and will be a great spell to catch runners lategame. This ability goes down to a 15 seconds cooldown at spell level 4, which makes it 50 mana/15 seconds, it's not that expensive but you'll also want mana for Hellfire and your Ultimate.

Hellfire. It's also a great early skill because if you just catch someone within it it's almost impossible to get out of, since you ministun and damage people just by running next to them. Also awesome for early harass and/or kill.

Wrath of the Pharoah. Your ultimate is naturally really important to catch up with enemies, to deal some extra damage and to assist your friends in need. It's a quick projectile which pulls you to whatever enemy it hits first.

Wall of Mummies. Awesome ability for many reasons, but as I said earlier, right now Enhanced Marchers neutralizes the trap effect of it. But you can also place it uphill, smash a mummy and keep running and they are still there, knocking people who approach back and draining mana. Really awesome if you want to save someone or escape.

Pro's:Smiley
With your ultimate, unlimited ranged nuke, ministuns around you and your cages you make an excellent hunter and controller. Almost any combination of these spells is deadly against squishy heroes. Your Tormented Soul can be used to get really nice kills on people who escaped with ~50-120hp, a well aimed Tormented Soul is obviously deadly.

Tormented Soul is awesome to lasthit creeps with if you're up against ranged heroes or heroes like Legionnaire who you don't want to be close to at first. This ability also allows insane harass, 200dmg/15 sec and it's so easy to hit with if you're somwhat intelligent.

Con's:Sad
Very squishy if you build him for damage as this guide focuses on.

If you are dry on mana you're screwed, you got no passive abilities to save you.

If you don't finish the game early enough you will become a weak hero, this hero might be a lategame hero but only if he got alot of kills and really good farm, otherwise you'll want to end it mid-late midgame.

Ending
Well that's the basics of this hero, atleast the way I play it. The chain combos are quite obvious, Wrath of the Pharoah>Hellfire>Wall of Mummies and Tormented Soul when it fits, either to boost burst dps or to kill a runner. Also use the Tormented Soul spell to get a few extra creepkills every game as you launch it against a lane while running somewhere, like going to base for example. And naturally you want to use the spell for scouting aswell, but that's fairly obvious.

If you have any thoughts about my guide, did it suck? did you gain something from reading it? feel free to drop a comment! I'll change any errors you point out if I agree with you on those points.

-----

Courtesy to Voko @ forums.heroesofnewerth.com
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:10:44 pm by Trigardon » Logged

Gamer and a medical student...
Mr_Matt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »

i prefer to get mummies instead of hellfire for the fact that in a lane with someone you can isolate one hero and get the other later

his ultimate can be used for escaping also,
if your getting ganked ulti into a creep camp (you have 3000 range) and your safe!
Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »

i prefer to get mummies instead of hellfire for the fact that in a lane with someone you can isolate one hero and get the other later

if your getting ganked ulti into a creep camp (you have 3000 range) and your safe!

like anyone would listen to your advice fag

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:47 pm »

like anyone would listen to your advice fag

Actually I do / did. *runs away from shag and hides*

WinterFresh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:39:53 pm »

I use pharaoh everyday and I will NEVER use that buildup. Also skills should be like this: Soul - hellfire - mummies. The mummies are very good in trapping enemy heroes when they are close to you and they will also deflect any other enemy heroes damaging them as well.  Then spend points only on soul and hellfire and ulti.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »

Especially at start the tormented soul can be quite useful for damaging heros and getting gold due creepkills. Shocked

Voldo
Neighbourhood Rangewhore
Super Hero Member

Oh Dear...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:35:11 pm »

I only upgrade mummies once, until 23/24/25 that is.

evilleader

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:10:34 pm »

Never tried this hero before, really. Must try him sometime, I usually stick with heroes I know how to play, I've read the guide, time to go and put it to a test Cheesy.

Gamer and a medical student...
Axemund

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:34:08 pm »

1. I agree with the general consensus: that you need mummies lvl 1 within lvl 3 for both early killling and/or escaping purposes.
2. I'll guess that you chose runed axe for the manaregen (and ofc dmg), but the cleaving is almost pure waste on pharao imo, since he's not a farmer, and not a main dmg carry. Besides, Pharao will never reach a good dmg output regardless how you build him, making it a futile item for a carry build that'll never be more than mediocre. The regen on abyssal is decent, and he'll be able to support a melee carry with life leech aura, which is such a nice moneysaver for a carry.
My personal favourite is going blood chalice + vanguard = infinite mana for cheap money + the best early/mid survivability item in the game. and as pharao until late has a far higher dmg output from spells than from autoattack, i believe it's obvious that survivability (spell spamming longer) is superior to clean dmg.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: