Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2020, 04:13:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190056 Posts in 11008 Topics by 18557 Members
Latest Member: HaldirHardy
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Savage on Steam
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage on Steam  (Read 29756 times)
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:49 am »

Is this ever going to happen? I've a feeling that this would be the only way to reanimate the playerbase.

Your thoughts

Edit:

Possible scenario: Newerth.com can ask permission to distribute Savage XR from Maliken. Then it could market sav as 2009 expansion pack and put a price tag on it - $4 or whatever is minimal on Steam - and write that all money raised will aid newerth the same way the donations do (or just let Maliken take it...).
This is, of course, if it's possible to get XR on Clockworks. And this is certainly a better option than not putting it on Steam.

In addition, here's a great list with other online distribution services:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/indie-friendly-online-distributors/

P.S. Steam sale can start with a "free week-end" too.

P.P.S: Apparently steam allows free full games!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/937j5/free_full_games_on_steam/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:25:32 am by Enliven » Logged

WarDragonZ
Divine Punishment Form

50% tempest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:44 am »

Is this ever going to happen? I've a feeling that this would be the only way to reanimate the playerbase.

Your thoughts

it's a good idea, dunno how one would go about putting a free game on steam that's no longer supported by the developers though.

Helios
Sun God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:44:17 am »

I'm going to have to go with it having a snowball's chance in hell, but you never know.  It definitely would be the best possible way to add playerbase though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:48:34 am by Helios » Logged

jaguar
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:06:53 am »

If this was possible it would probably have already happened. I don't see steam putting a free game up anytime soon.

When XR is out of beta we will probably look into it though just incase they will. Need to get it on a lot of other sites as well when it's done.
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:31 am »

Newerth.com can ask permission to distribute Savage XR from Maliken. Then we could market as 2009 expansion pack and put a price tag on it - $5 or whatever is minimal on Steam - then write that all money raised will aid newerth the same way the donations do.
This is, of course, if it's possible to get XR on Clockworks. And this is certainly a better option than not putting it on steam.
P.S. Can start with a "free week-end" too.

jaguar
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:16:11 am »

Maliken would most likely want money from it if there was a price tag on it and that would mean money for steam + s2games + newerth (maybe) which would drive the price tag up. Hopefully Maliken would just be happy to let us do what we want.

If he does then getting it on steam probably wouldn't be that hard considering you can install the game by extracting a zip which is what we could get steam to do when installing through their interface.

I sure everyone wants this to happen but we will have to wait and see...
Marbello
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:45:29 am »

if savage is working with netbooks we could promote that (low system requirements!).

More meaning!
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:45:47 am »

if savage is working with netbooks we could promote that (low system requirements!).

Yeah, there are legions of people with low spec netbooks out there.

EvilRebel
I'm a Pizza

I really love food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:48 pm »

Steam is a store and stores sell stuff to make money. Savage is free and thus can't be sold for money. Starting to charge money for a free game from one day to another is just retarded and is gonna make too many people angry.

Also newerth.com does not have permission to use savage for any commercial purpose. If you want to sell XR then you would have to give S2games the full rights for that mod.

Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:22:50 pm »

Dude, did you read the above posts even? Stay away from these forums please.

UnSaFe
Lifetime fan of Crom
Newerth Donator

ex-troll

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:52 pm »

Steam is a store and stores sell stuff to make money. Savage is free and thus can't be sold for money. Starting to charge money for a free game from one day to another is just retarded and is gonna make too many people angry.

Also newerth.com does not have permission to use savage for any commercial purpose. If you want to sell XR then you would have to give S2games the full rights for that mod.

FLATJUICE
)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:28:54 pm »

thought about this,
every day i get a stupid "steam update news" pop-up with an unknown game,
so why not savage?

btww u can add savage on steam via 'add non-steam games'
EvilRebel
I'm a Pizza

I really love food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:28 pm »

thought about this,
so why not savage?
The "steam update news" pops up with a game from the publisher paying Valve most money.

UnSaFe
Lifetime fan of Crom
Newerth Donator

ex-troll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:21:55 pm »

thought about this,
so why not savage?
The "steam update news" pops up with a game from the publisher paying Valve most money.
Don't make me post that pic again! You evil do-er!

jaguar
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 01:45:44 am »

Read the whole thread next time mate, it will make you look less like a troll.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: