Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2019, 05:16:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189887 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18429 Members
Latest Member: sajjkk
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  Boss, the skins!!! (XR)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boss, the skins!!! (XR)  (Read 3289 times)
Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:42:50 am »

Ok, so ignore the topic title.

I realize this is a bit late in the game, but pardon me as I haven't really been following the whole XR dev process.

What's with the overly dark/contrasty new skins on all of the units?  I'll have to see when it's all done and released, but by the looks of the recent teaser vid, the overall visual impression I get of the game running is a pretty classic Sav1 feeling landscape with super-contrast darker players running around.  I get the same impression looking through the old vs. new shots posted in the gallery.

Now don't get me wrong here, the skins themselves aren't half bad, but having them conflicting with the environment, like it seems they do, just screams low-budget sci-fi movie CG monster where the lighting doesn't remotely match up with the live footage.

Anyway, keep in mind this has just been my initial impression.

Thoughts? 

My $.02
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:00:57 am »

Yes.

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 08:28:34 am »

Although I respect all the work the XR skinners delivered, I would really like an option to use SFE skins. Those are just so much more colorfull and soft, and SFE's contrast with modern "realistic" and gritty games is very refreshing. And while XR skins (units and buildings alike) are quite nice enough to play with I don't see myself playing with them for an extended period of time  Smiley

(With SFE textures I don't mean Xr textures without shaders btw  Wink)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:56:01 pm by Tjens » Logged

Helios
Sun God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 02:45:44 pm »

I agree, while I like some of the skins (ie: summoner), I prefer the standard skins for the reasons listed above.

Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:14:34 pm »

We will look at providing mini mods that allow you to revert the unit skins but this will also turn off unit shaders. Maybe as well as this you could provide feedback on what specific aspects you dislike so they can be fixed up to every1's liking
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:23:23 pm »

These points are based on the settings i would use as in SFE and XR (see attachment), and may or may not reflect the look of the game with other options used. I don't use anisotropic or anti aliasing.

The regular cliffs where better in a way that they were more vertical instead of the new roundish/vague rockcliffs, wich do not fit the crude terrain polygons savage uses, making them look like ugly blobs when used for a large area (wich is often) The human buildings also have some sort of nasty grain on them, and while this makes them look more realisic and sturdy looking i liked the soft look better. I could state some more minor things but that would be even more a matter of personal opinion.

On itself the textures look great, and maybe with all the fancy options on they will blend in much more than on my low end user rig. The problem is that roughly (guessing) 70% of savage has a machine like mine and is not going to use any shaders at all when they notice their fps dropping down. This makes some things stand out more than others

But the main reason I would like to see a basic SFE texture option would be becouse XR is grittyer and less colourfull or soft than SFE and cuts down on the overal happyness experience (especially when you get bali killed). The mod you bring otu later really sounds like a good idea, especially for the people who want some nostalgia when they played XR for some time Smiley

edit: deleted the screens, they did not give a good view on what i meant + gave away XR looks to non-beta testers  Evil

* XRsettings.PNG (2119.11 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 224 times.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:32:33 am by Tjens » Logged

Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 12:48:55 am »

Based on the shots that Tjens posted, it may not be as drastic as I thought.  The teaser vid looks pretty awkward, but like I said, I'll have to wait until you guys release an open beta to really get a good idea.

A mini-mod would be a great idea, perhaps having a yes/no list unit-by-unit for skins.  The more options the better. 

Heck, why don't we just lock you guys in storage room B and make you code for us until 2037.

In all seriousness, thanks for keeping an open mind, and good discourse.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl. 
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 01:55:43 am »

To K'Jell: remember what I told you, heh Smiley

Helios
Sun God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:36:14 am »

We will look at providing mini mods that allow you to revert the unit skins but this will also turn off unit shaders.

Nice, the shaders are cool and all but I've always run savage at lowest settings so I'm not going to be using them anyhow.  It's a minor issue really but I would welcome such mini mods, now if only we could get rid of the helmet. ;P

Epoks

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:37:12 am »

I agree, everything is overly dark. This is mainly due to texture maps appearing lighter/slightly different colour when editing as apposed to in the Savage engine.
This is one thing that will need to be fixed before release.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: