Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 06:25:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189887 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18429 Members
Latest Member: sajjkk
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  RTS games
Poll
Question: What are u looking for in a RTS?
3d, roteable camera, zoom
decent graphics (units are easily recognised, effects and abilities too, doesnt hurt your eyes when u play)
Commanding huge armies (Rome: total war)
Commanding small groups of carefully selected units (like warcraft 3)
Commanding huge numbers of individual units (TA)
Slow gameplay (usually for sp, lotsa ages and stuff to research)
Fast gameplay (usually for mp, matches of 20-30 min and stuff)
Lotsa micromanagement
No micromanagement
Historically correct, as much as possible
Unique units and tech, found in no other game
Fun (chickens, torturing enemies, throwing ppl around, torching houses, burning ppl running around,stuff like that)
Superpowers, superweapons, godly spells
No superpowers, no superweapons, no godly spells.
A nice score table with timeline at the end (like AoE)

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RTS games  (Read 11578 times)
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

Found joy in getting owned

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 11:02:57 pm »

Combat micromanagement is low indeed, but resource management is worse then warcraft III, no?
warcraft III was mainly babysitting hero's and checking base in your spare time and go through all your units to activate or not activate abilities. Stuff like that should be go way more automaticly. The healers (clerics)in spellforce heal and fight without u needing to do anything. They stop smashing stuff for a sec, cast spell, fight further. was good for lazy ppl like me.

still havent figured out or u loose the res they carry if u let em do something else or not, do they? I think in AOE u loose the res, in other games they sometimes just drop it on the ground where it can be picked up later and in paraworld i dunno.
Am i wrong or has the demo 2 full races? if yes, not bad for a demo which has 3 races in total. Good demo. No time limit, no 'buy the full now!' crap. Really like the demo content. Games with demo's with timelimits and such i really dislike.

Shamoke, i suppose u play mp every now and then (in general, not just paraworld)? I allways play singleplayer vs cpu. Makes a huge difference in tactics and such ofcourse. And in game experience.

I am waiting for Supcom and Mark of chaos too. Maybe a mix between TA and paraworld could pwn. armies of dinosaurs, with tiny dinosaurs and huge ones. The huges ones can step on the smaller ones like in Supcom. Could pwn.

Shamoke
Lord Of The Frogs

Left Tanks in a wood box

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 12:21:44 am »

About the Paraworld Demo, yeah, giving out 2 races + full tech is nice from the dev. In fact, it's a marketing strategy: there is already a tournament for the demo with a prize of 5000$, if you are interested..  Wink

Maybe most people find Paraworld entertaining (which it is), but, as I said again, I was expecting a bit more. The game has a great background and storyline, they could have done a lot more about the units and their characteristics. I don't know, for example, the heroes. You got 2 scientists armed with a bow and 2 swords, and have 3000 hp (the equivalent of an Allosaurus). They look weak, they have 1 unique ability... Dunno. it's the same for the rest. A lot of dinosaurs which basically are the same: some are just stronger than the other.They are mostly well designed, but their animation is poor, on the contrary. Watching a brontosaurus battling is boring. Even the Mighty T-Rex, which look awesome, doesn't inspire fear in battle when you are watching him.

And you're right, I was expecting something epic, a mix between TA&Paraworld. Now, they chose to go the Warcraft Way, with a lot less units and more micro managements, and that's why I'm a disappointed: they do not give out the micro management required to give an interesting experience. You have like 52 units max (workers which take like half of the counts), and basically, you grab all your fighters and attack; using some abilities there and there.. But nothing transcending.

I would give that game a 6/10; too much effort on the esthetics, while they forgot the gameplay for a casual/hardcore gamer.
I don't think it will stay long on the competitive scene.

And yeah, I like skirmishing against the AI. To be honest, I rarely do the campaigns in any RTS, which are boring, in most cases. I know that a lot of people are alike me, you, many others.. And that's why I never understood dev who don't include a skirmish mode: I take for example Blitzkrieg II (which is a good WWII RTS), which hasn't skirmish.. I didn't play it long.

I don't really play RTS online except on lan from times to times. I don't know, except Savage, I've rarely found a good community. It's not fun playing against someone you know you'll never meet again. And plus, too many L33T Bois Out there. Nah, at least the AI shuts up.

If you want, we can play try the Paraworld Demo Together.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:32:58 am by Shamoke » Logged
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 07:59:11 pm »

RTS multiplayer has to be very fast. when i tried it, some years ago, some ppl disconnected if the fight wasnt decided in 10 min. Bloody annoying. I prefer to build a massive army, a huge base and stuff like that. i like to entertain myself with torturing stuff in DKII. I prefer to play rts on a more slow paced tempo. It's more fun.

On paraworld i agree with u completely. It's unit limit is even lower then the one of warcraft, i think. (for your army, i think warcraft alows slightly larger armies) which basicly means u can defend one base at most. I beat the cpu simply cause he expands, i attack a thingie to the left (with something cheap and fast) and crush his base when his armies are away, preferably with the moveable base dinosaur thingie, that can make units spawn and comes with a defense tower on it. I love that one. Havent tested yet what the select unit limit is. That's something that annoys me in alot of games. U make an army and when u attack, u cant even select em all. so u have to mess around with groups and such, which is not the way i like to play. I dont expect my armies to return to base, so the messing aroudn with numbers is basicly just a waste of time. In C&C: generals, with the chinese, i just build a huge number of the lowest infantry, for fun. If they survive and i start having too much units to decently control em, i nuke em. Against cpu that's doable, if u defend your base with other stuff ofc.

Most ppl i know play mainly skirmishes yes. Note to self, if i ever succeed at making an rts, pay attention to the skirmishes.
Not all games have an AI that shuts up. Annoying. Certainly if u cant switch it off. I also highly dislike it my units say something everytime they move. The game usually have 2-3 thingies at most that each unit can say and it really annoys me after some time to hear the same things over and over. If they say it every now and then, then it's ok. Would be better if they had a battlecry when they charge enemies or a cheer when they win. Would make a way better atmosphere then the crap they say everytime i move em. Certainly in warcraft, it has a few hero's who say stuff like 'u dare command me?'. I dont want my units to question my commands. It ruins the atmosphere.

edit: on trying paraworld mp, it's a no, i prefer to not do it. No time mainly. And it problably wont work.

Shamoke
Lord Of The Frogs

Left Tanks in a wood box

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 08:38:38 pm »

Hehe right. Was nice to share some point of views.  Smiley
Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 11:01:25 am »

I also highly dislike it my units say something everytime they move.

+sing  Grin

(for those who don't know, this is a Total Annihilation reference...)

Sheeproth
EvO's Mapper!
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 05:56:41 pm »

yeah i played it a few times

born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 09:24:26 pm »

Dawn of war: Dark crusade demo, is rather disappointing compared to the paraworld demo.
It's basicly just a preview of the Tau. I'd hoped for a bit more tech/units and a skirmish map with a bit more options orso. It's a buy the full version now demo. I dont like having to wait half a minute every time i close down.

The game itself looks pretty promising. Tau are interesting. But the demo doesnt reveal much. Well, they cant mess up with a game like Dawn of War, can they? I bet the dark crusade will be worth his money.

fire dr@gon
just dragon

im burning of fire!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »

yes!  Sad Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

do you now how i love fire!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: