Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 08:38:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189886 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18426 Members
Latest Member: fimpaljion
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  RTS games
Poll
Question: What are u looking for in a RTS?
3d, roteable camera, zoom
decent graphics (units are easily recognised, effects and abilities too, doesnt hurt your eyes when u play)
Commanding huge armies (Rome: total war)
Commanding small groups of carefully selected units (like warcraft 3)
Commanding huge numbers of individual units (TA)
Slow gameplay (usually for sp, lotsa ages and stuff to research)
Fast gameplay (usually for mp, matches of 20-30 min and stuff)
Lotsa micromanagement
No micromanagement
Historically correct, as much as possible
Unique units and tech, found in no other game
Fun (chickens, torturing enemies, throwing ppl around, torching houses, burning ppl running around,stuff like that)
Superpowers, superweapons, godly spells
No superpowers, no superweapons, no godly spells.
A nice score table with timeline at the end (like AoE)

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RTS games  (Read 11561 times)
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

Found joy in getting owned

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2006, 04:47:50 pm »

curiousity killed the cat.

born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:04:32 pm »

So what do we learn from this?
1) making polls is not my best skill. (but it was my first poll ever, so i have an excuse)
2) The decent graphics are the most important. Logic prevails.

edit:
since the decent timetable thingie at the end seems to be the number 2, how come i c so many rts totally fail on this part?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:14:59 pm by born_to_be_noobish » Logged

Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 10:38:17 am »

Good question, also a replay feature tends to be nice to have as well.

Have you ever played Rise of Nations? Since it is in the Age of Empires vein, it has both of those. (Also, it is my favorite... TA second.)
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:51:04 am »

Rise of nations is pretty good, except for some smaller details.
Like the damn cant destroy enemy town centers thingie. U have to occupy them. And some tech that was way overpowered in my opinion. Like the invincible bombers. I prefer to have a chance, even a nomad vs a behe has more chance then anything vs those bombers. The rise of legends might have fixed that, not sure. I played the demo a bit and destroying enemy towns was easier there.
it was pretty nice, the Rise of nations, but not good enough to buy.

I am waiting for SupCom, the spiritual successor of TA, which will hopefully be good.
TA pwns. I prefer TA over any other rts. Well, untill my copies of TA all started to freak. I lost them all now, i think. Hard disk failures, computer errrors, data loss.

Sheeproth
EvO's Mapper!
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 05:08:07 pm »

i did actually want to tick all the boxes  Cheesy

Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:42:47 pm »

I wasn't even aware of Supreme Commander!  Shocked

Hopefully it will be better than Total Annihilation. If they can improve the clutter of ground combat and the AI of units and the AI players, I will be happy. I don't even need better graphics. Though I watched the E3 trailer and saw that, of course, the graphics look great.

I just hope that it doesn't take too much processing power to play it. With the massive unit count and the graphics, I am a little worried it may be a while before I can handle it. Hopefully I can reduce the graphics a lot for performance.  Afro

Oh yeah, for those of you who haven't seen the trailer, here is a link:
http://www.gwn.com/movies/play.php/f/102

Note that most of this is in-game footage, though I would imagine that the user interface has been hidden for better viewing. (I would like to see it though...  Cry)

That is something that has always bothered me about game previews. I want to see real game footage as I would see it if I were playing! Is that too much to ask? Don't get me wrong, this one doesn't really bother me very much, since it is real gameplay, but the ones I see on television are usually just cinematic cutscenes and nothing else. How can you possibly learn about what a game is like based purely on cutscenes? Sorry, it just gets to me sometimes...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:48:24 pm by Drake3 » Logged
Shamoke
Lord Of The Frogs

Left Tanks in a wood box

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:31:13 am »

Drake, The Answer is: Marketing. In many cases, even screenshots showed as 'in Game Footage' are modified with Photoshop&Such for The Cuttiest Effect. But I think that you already thought about that and yeah, that's a bit sad... Money > Creation.

About Supreme Commander, I'm afraid it will require a Monster Computer.. 10000 units on screen isn't something easy to manage  Cheesy
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:27:07 am »

Funny thing is, that even TA is too much for my pc atm.
When there are alot of units i mean.
once i have about 2500 units and the cpu has like 8000 units, it's kinda hard for my pc to handle.
a few nukes usually solves that.

TA i only played vs the cpu. I just make lots of factories, set the units on a waypoint towards enemy base, mainly to keep the fight out of my base. I let my airplanes gather somewhere and every now and then i launch an airstrike followed by nukes. Eventually, that's enough.

Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 07:48:05 pm »

Do you have a different AI that you use?

I ask because I don't like to use nukes on the default AI since they don't know how to use or defend against them. If you do use a different one, which one? I cannot seem to find a good AI. The ones that I have tried which use nukes don't do a good job building units/defenses, so I can usually overwhelm them normally.

If you don't, then poor AI... lol.  Grin
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 11:23:59 pm »

U can make your own ai. (basicly a list of units and the importance of them)
Did that once, was pretty fun. I disable anything except peewees and the core counterpart of peewee. (and resources and defense were still enabled too)
basicly, result was massive amounts of peewees stuck in a base with way too much defense and way too much mines and solar plants.

for ai with nukes, i simply installed switecks ai use nuke nuclear plant. Something like that. That worked. CPU rarely used nukes against me (i kinda allways had my antinuke up in time) but he does manage to get some antinukes up in time, so i waste like 200 planes on a rush against the antinuke. But indeed, nukes against the cpu is usually not that fun. Overkill. Useless, defense is strong enough to hold any cpu back if u can get it up. Big bertha pwns Smiley.

One of the main things i like about TA is the unit expandability. Who cares about his units getting killed? a new wave is ready even before the first one reaches his target. As long as they die away from your base, it's ok. Downside is, u cant put unit production on continuous. So u have to click it lotsa of times. I bet that doesnt work against a human though. AI in TA is pretty stupid, but still great for it's time. I mean, AOE standard AI is not that smart either.

Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 10:30:33 am »

I will have to check that out, perhaps I can modify switecks AI or something.

A peewee/ak war sounds rediculous. I would probably only allow light laser towers for defenses on that setting... hehe. Silly ants!

Big berthas are awesome, but I do have trouble when the enemy builds intimidators, since they are slightly longer range. Then I have to precision brawler strike or abduct a core builder and build intimidators myself.  Smiley

I appreciate the long range warfare and the physics. Artillery should have a chance of hitting planes. Planes should probably be able to fly higher though...

As for having to click a lot, you probably know you can hold shift to build 5 per click right? Did you know you could hold shift and ctrl to build 100 per click? It makes things much easier. You still have to click a lot if you have many factories...  Evil
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 07:44:56 pm »

It was fun Smiley
loooooooootsa peewees

i use the TAUCP thingie, which has fastfiring long range plasma cannons. 5 of those wipe anything away, if u can supply the power.
WIth normal TA, the normal long range plasma cannons are good too, since i only play against the cpu, they never managed to get a counter long range cannon up, so didnt even know about the range difference, pc is too stupid to build it just outside my max range.

knew the 5 per click, but not the 100 per click. damn.
And with TA, i allways have lotsa factories. Just for distraction. As i said, the mass of units keeps the cpu nicely occupied and keeps the fight out of my base. I am not that good at the game. In fact i have never won any pvp rts match online in any game. For TA, i tried to play it online several times, got it working once. lasted 5 min then the opponent left and that's my TA online experience.

Right now, my TA is messed up, doesnt do anything anymore. I cant even get a map started anymore i think.

For alternative tactic, have u ever tried to attack with builders? u can reclaim enemy stuff too Smiley. u get free res and the enemy looses stuff and it's fun to watch. Advanced builder planes work best if i remember well.

Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 04:55:34 am »

I haven't actually tried to play it online... only versus a few friends lan. Otherwise, we almost always play co-op versus AI.

Your TA is having problems? That sucks. Do you have the original discs anymore? If not, I could probably put them on a .torrent just for you.  Afro

I have tried attacking with builders. It is quite funny to see their buildings get deconstructed right in front of them. It isn't a great tactic, however, since the reclaiming is short range and slow. Also, construction units are weak. It certainly is fun though.  Grin
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »

Well, honestly, i never had the chance to buy TA. Never found TA in a shop. Just as DKII. I want to buy those 2 games, but i cant find em. (DKII i need 2 copies of, cause i borrowed it once and my dad got the cd exploded. Which is bad, cause he also has TA and i was going to borrow/buy TA from him, but since DKII exploded, that's not an option till i at least get him a new (original) copy of DKII.)
I missed the train, by the time i discovered TA, cavedog was already dead. After TA:Kingdoms and such. I did manage to get everything. TA, TA:CC, TA: battle tactics orso. but i got data corruption orso, so it's all not working anymore.

.torrent would be nice, but i got very little experience with it. PM me orso Smiley.

Drake3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 12:40:19 am »

I sent you a pm. If you don't get it, I can send it again.

I can send you DKII if you wish and you have space. My parents used to buy me many games. Smiley  Neither are quite the same as the original, however. If you have a cd burner, it is close.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:41:52 am by Drake3 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: