Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 09:56:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189879 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18417 Members
Latest Member: bhiomapion
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Stalemate breakers
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stalemate breakers  (Read 8575 times)
Nightmare

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:17:37 pm »

I'm at work and bored so this will be a long one but i put a lot of thought into some of the ideas so please read Tongue

Disclaimer - I understand a lot of these ideas may go beyond what teh devs can do with the engine and their time, but they were fun to think of and I tried to make em balance. Criticize em if you want, I don't expect them to be implemented by maybe they will inspire some real stalemate breaker ideas.

My plan for stalemate breakers is based around bonuses awarded after level 9. Unless the stalemate issue is resolved, there will be (and are today) very few games that have most if not all players beyond level 9. Over half the games I play in I end up at level 20+ if I was there at the start and even level 15+ if I joined later. Perhaps make the bonuses fewer and farther in between (bonus at 15, 21, 30 etc) and make them worthy of reaching that level. Maybe unit specific abilities that could include siege as well, these are just some ideas I came up with. I pretty sure all are original expect for one that was inspired by Extreme's tier 4 mod (best stalemate breaker to date) so here they are:

Nomad lvl 21 bonus - Woodchipper - self buff that increases swing speed by 50% for 5 seconds. Consumes all stamina and cannot be reactivated for 2 min.

Savage lvl 21 bonus - Rending Gale - self buff that lasts 5 seconds allowing attacks to send out a slow wave in the faced direction traveling about 20ft (or whatever the range of flux is). Deals 125% normal damage to whatever it hits. Cannot be used if under 50% stamina (as it is consumed) and cannot be used again for 2 min.

Lego lvl 21 bonus - Fissure - self buff that adds a 'bounce' effect every swing in a radius around the lego for 10 seconds. Radius is equal to double the length of the the lego's axe. The 'bounce' causes all enemy AND friendly units to bounce straight up about a ft. This bounces cancels momentum from leap/sprint (if mid leap you will stop, once bounced you cannot sprint til on solid ground again). Cannot be reactivated for 2 1/2 minutes.
Note: I am aware that having an effect like that work on units not touching the ground (leap, jump) doesn't make much real sense, but I don't know if devs can track things like 'isOnGround' or whatever so it is open to suggestions.

Ballista lvl 21 bonus - Waterlogged - Self buff that slows the ballista's movement speed by 25% and also lowers damage by 25% (leaving lvl 9 preds with some health left), but makes the ballista immune to fire magic for 20 seconds. This includes firewards but not sacrifice. Being within range of a firebuff causes the buff to expire twice as fast. This can only be done once during a ballista's life.

Two ideas for Cata, 1 defensive 1 offensive:

1) Catapult lvl 21 bonus - Shattercrash - For 20 seconds (because of catas slow fire rate) the normal cata projectiles are replaces with balls of molten sand (hot glass). The impact from these does the same damage as normal shots but instead of normal 1 time splash damage anyone in range of the impact suffers a bleeding effect for 10 seconds from the glass shards.

2) Catapult lvl 21 bonus - Burnout - self buff that increases the cata's movement (not turn) speed by 300% for 10 seconds.  The catapult cannot stop during this boost nor can it fire. Once the buff expires the cata cannot fire for 5 seconds while its incendiary materials are replenished. *To prevent beasts from simply standing in front of the cata during this buff, beasts (and friendlies) will be bounced to the side taking small damage from the boosting cata. This can only be done once during a cata's life.

Chaplain lvl 21 bonus - Divine Evocation -  All friendly units in range (still trying to think of a fair range for this) are given double their current HP (this does NOT include siege). This boost lasts until that unit's hp is brought back within normal range (it cannot be restored with meds). This skill has a 5 second activation during which the chaplain is immoble and defenseless. After use, the chaplain has exhaused all holy magic and potions (part of the ceremony) and cannot heal again until visiting a spawn point to replenish supplies AND a monastery to pray (this is to prevent the skill from being spammed by chaps in base). These effects do not stack ( you can't have several chaps cast this at once to create a Godlike lego). Praying at a monastery takes 10 seconds (another anti spam agent), but this can be forgone if the chapman dies. To clear things up, this ability can be used at any time during the chapman's life and cannot be used again until the next life without completing the ritual (restock at sh/garr and praying at monstery).  Restocking at garr restores normal chap abilities.  ****OPTIONAL IDEA*** This skill has a 5% chance to affect enemy units INSTEAD, not in addition to friendlies(God has bad aim).

Whew, time for beasties:

Scavenger lvl 21 bonus - Last Stand - self buff that begins to drain the user's health (unsure of what the rate should be). While affected by this, the Scavenger is granted infinite stamina, meaning you're going to die so leap leap leap leap leap. During this time, items and buffs cannot be used with the exception of the current melee weapon (so no infinite stamina sacs or firebuff insanity). Ends with the user's death (if you have a lvl 21 scav and are charging into battle late game you are likely expecting to die anyways Tongue)

Stalker lvl 21 bonus - Shadow Walker - self buff that grants the user a 30 second mist shroud and becomes undetectable by sensors (commanders can still see them, but not on minimap). Can only be used once per life. Any item/buff use cancels this buff.

Predator lvl 21 bonus - Haste (inspired by Extreme's tier 4 mod) - For 20 seconds (seems overpowered, please keep reasing) the user is granted the powers of both Carn and Rabid as well as removing the swing reset (please don't kill me yet, keep reading) so instead of 1-2-3 reset 1-2-3, it would be 1-2-1-2-1-2 etc. IF BLOCKED, THE ENTIRE BUFF IS CANCELLED. I feel that if in a crowd, keeping control of this buff with careful management and aim to avoid being blocked earns the full 20 seconds. If you get blocked, you fail. ****This buff is open to suggestions, but only the skilled players would able to take full advantage of it whereas with other new buffs you don't have to be very skilled to get a boost. Can only be used once every 3 minutes.

Summoner lvl 21 bonus - Evolution - Passive permanent buff. Evolution has caused the summoner to adapt to it's environment. Hp is raised to 620 (normal unit) making it a bit more hardy. Ranged damage to summoners is reduced by 25% while melee attacks for 50% more damage. Summoner's can also channel their mana bar into a teleport that returns it to the lair but has a margin of error (25% chance to teleport to a random location on the map). The teleport can only be used with a full mana bar and cannot be used again for 1 minute (changing units does not cancel this effect).

Behemoth lvl 21 bonus - Thick Skinned - For 15 seconds behemoths can focus their endurance forwards, reducing all range attacks to 20% of their normal damage. Attacks from behind cause 200% damage. Also, piercing weapons no longer punch through. This skill can only be used once per life.

Shaman lvl 21 bonus - Vile Arts (or Necromancy, but I thought that sounded a bit cliche) - Same range as the chap skill, except all units are restored to normal full health and all corpses (friendly and otherwise, including npcs) are raised as zombies, lumbering towards the nearest enemy target (this does not include siege, no zombie behes). This will not affect corpses that have not entered loadout. This skill has a 5 second cast time and a 5% chance of killing all living friendly targets in range and adding them to the zombie horde (also does not include siege).  The same requirements for recasting the chaps ability apply here.

*****ONCE A BUFF IS USED THERE IS A 30 SECOND DELAY BEFORE BEING ABLE TO USE ANY BUFF FROM SPAWNING. THIS IS TO PREVENT BUFFS FROM BEING SPAMMED AFTER DEATH (HASTE, LAST STAND TO NAME A COUPLE)***

Well that's all I came up with for now. Praise em, flame em, flame me whatever you wanna do. Just wanted to see what people thought.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:30:42 pm by Mass » Logged
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:59:17 pm »

did not have the time to read it all, but sounds good

SirEdb
Official against E-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:09:27 am »

Yeah immune to fire. How bout I destroy your lair.

Stupid idea, stalemate = learn2play as a team. Don't add more levels/ways to it.

AlphaFtw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:38:33 am »

The reason why theres so many stalemates in the US is because of the lack of templay and mobility. In the EU, theres a lot more mobility as a team / demo-running which is why there are a lot less "true" stalemates.

I really don't care about whether it's a stalemate or a "push" game because you can have fun in both ways.
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:46:01 am »

Stupid idea, stalemate = learn2play as a team. Don't add more levels/ways to it.

I'm quoting edb!

WarDragonZ
Divine Punishment Form

50% tempest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:14:52 am »

I'm quoting edb!

as you should! edb is fucking hilarious.

Bearded Frog
DM's Recruiter/Scheduler

To Defend The Beard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:28:47 am »

this.

Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:15:00 am »

More than lack of teamplay contributes to the stalemate problem in US...mostly humans who are content to coil whore for 2 hours while beasts try and break the turtle. US it so obessesed with buffs I just thought something might give them incentive to push forward and use more buffs. If you don't like them that's fine, I didn't expect them to be implemented or popular. Just wasting time at work really  Tongue
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:46:28 pm »

this.

this what?

SirEdb
Official against E-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:36:25 pm »

I actually have support! And a lot of it!

First of all, I want to thank en for giving his first bit of support to me. WD obviously can not be forgotten for his neverending support. Also, bearded frog, thank you as well. I have erected this obelisk for the three of you, as token of my appreciation.

Java
Newerth Referees (US)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:59:29 pm »

Let's just make a 12k stone building for humans that launches a nuke.

happyera

i jump 4 stories to kick you XD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:12:18 am »

Let's just make a 12k stone building for humans that launches a nuke.

F1

Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:57:53 am »

Awesome act of erection, edb.

Msn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 10:40:50 am »

yea let make it galactic klingons vs humans then we will lunch russians warheads and u will be playing for that warhead
i know no sense
i mean ur idea is not good

Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 05:49:10 pm »

ITT: Coil/temp whores who don't want stalemates to go away.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: