Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 03:32:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189840 Posts in 10980 Topics by 18382 Members
Latest Member: tilgaccdrz
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Server Forum
| | |-+  New dedi server setup - map and admin suggestions? :)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New dedi server setup - map and admin suggestions? :)  (Read 3012 times)
FrenchTart

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:28:17 pm »

Hi there.  I posted this over on the S2Games forums and was directed here...

I'm currently setting up a new server on my dedi, located in Manchester UK.  I've ran a couple of LAN Savage servers before and plenty of 'proper' internet servers for other games (Q3-based, UT2004-based, Soldat, FEAR, etc) but I'm not even going to pretend to know enough about Savage to be able to get a server running with settings that the community expects.

As such, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to give a few pointers/tips.  I'm also looking for a few people to give ref/admin access to the server as I won't be around enough to admin it myself.

For server settings the chief things that come to mind are:

* XP rate - it always seems much higher on the online servers than I used to have on my LAN servers (default setting)

* Extra settings/balance - anything I should be aware of?

* Mods, other than SFE.  I'm running SFE but is there anything else I should put on there or?  If so, please link/advise Smiley

* Maps to put in the rotation/install on the server.  A list of maps to put on rotation would be great.  If they're not ones that come with the server package, a link would be good (unless I can just get them from the mapservers linked to in the .cfg files?)

For admins/refs:

I'd ideally want you to be quite well respected on here and have proven admin/ref experience.  Communication skills are also important :p

...I hope that doesn't come across as being too demanding but I'd really like to get a Savage server up and running and in a decent state.  We always have Savage games at our 50-man LANs and I'd love for some of our players to have a more permanent home.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:30:19 pm by FrenchTart » Logged

Manchester LAN Parties - fragM.co.uk
CarniWhore
Newerth Donator

chown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:05:55 pm »

Hey FrenchTart

First of all check out this thread http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,4355.0.html - especially the part about stopping newbie commanders. That thread also has a link to the SFE* patch that you should have installed.

For a good start for settings look here http://savage-girls.com/base/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=4142&catid=9  - It's the girls Woohoo! server settings, not sure if it matches EvO public but they are pretty close. If you need any help editing the SEP.cfg to match those settings let me know.

I'm happy to help with the server mate but my time is kinda limited atm. Catch me on msn (carniwhore69@hotmail.com) if you want a chat.

Cheers and gl, Carni

FrenchTart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:09:30 pm »

That's really helpful - thanks Smiley

I've already installed SFE and newbie commander patch, though I've not tested the server to make sure I've done it right (in work at the moment, bah).

Thanks for the link to the savage-girls server settings.  That's exactly the sort of thing I need.

I'm not on MSN a huge amount these days but I'll try and catch you if I run into problems.  Thanks again Smiley

EDIT: Some of the setting descriptions are a bit vague:

- slightly increased XP for mining, building and repairing
- Especially high XP for killing workers

Is it possible to get some hard numbers for this?  Being quite out of touch as a Savage player, I'm not really sure exactly what 'slightly increased' means Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:11:13 pm by FrenchTart » Logged

Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:04:49 pm »

XP setting are on very much servers just the default savage XP settings.
To tweak XP settings I would recommend to get on your server and set the variables while doing it.

Probably you should think about the next numbers.
VariablevaluesDefault
sv_xp_repair0.02 - 0.200
sv_xp_build0.00150 - 0.0100.00150
sv_xp_mine0.02 - 0.200.02
sv_xp_kill_worker2 - 252
sv_xp_structure_damage 0.00667 - 0.030.00667
sv_xp_kill_player10 - 2010
sv_xp_max_gain0.2 - 0.50.2
"Slightly increased" can indeed mean a huge increase of XP when looking at the numbers!
The exact hard numbers are the 'secret' of each server!

Another 'mod' not mentioned here is the 'anti-lag mod' made by Notausgang. This mod modifies the Incinerators, the Mortar Towers and Fire spires to cause a bit less lag if many of them are being fired/are firing.

Another little balance tweak: the human's speed buff costs only 50 chemical resources.

The maps: There are numerous discussions about them going in the Server forum. This is 1 of them.
I don't know how many slots your server will have, but ~10 maps will not work on a big server.

I'm also happy to help with your server, FrenchTart.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:13:22 pm by Groentjuh » Logged

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Sonny
Mefix sux
Newerth Shoutcaster

Director, storywriter and voice actor of TFoS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:02:23 am »

IŽd like to help you out with reffing Smiley

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:04:41 am »

Do you still have an Soldat server? Would like to play on it

On-Topic: Do you know yet how much slots it will have? (the sav serv)

FrenchTart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:57:16 pm »

Cheers for the offers/help everyone.

I've been a bit busy with the bank holiday weekend but I'll start working on this again this week Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: