Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2019, 12:01:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189808 Posts in 10978 Topics by 18368 Members
Latest Member: girkkkfzse
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Main Poll: Veterans or Beginners?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Main Poll: Veterans or Beginners?  (Read 4055 times)
Senthryl
Code Poet

I am infallable. Your perspective is just wrong.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:44:50 am »

Hey guys,

I know that there's a few people around who never visit the main page because their bookmarks take them directly to the forum, so I thought that I'd let you know about the vote going on at the main site right now.

The question may seem deceivingly simple to some, but there's lots of arguments for both sides.  The question:

Assuming that the two choices conflict, which is more important to the future of Savage?

1. Making the game better for veterans is more important.
2. Making the game better for beginners is more important.

You can check out the current results or go directly to the main page to vote.

I'd love to hear some more detailed opinions on this matter since the poll system does not provide a feedback facility, and the shoutbox doesn't last forever.
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:46:44 am »

I don't understand why these two things should exclude each other.

Java
Newerth Referees (US)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:12 am »

Because I believe they're assuming the only way to make it easier for beginners is to change it in a way that harms veteran's experiences with the old game mechanics.
If it requires changing mechanics (such as melee) in a way that takes away from the advantage of spending an extended period of time learning the game, I completely disagree on implementing any such thing. (Such as simplifying melee). Being good is why this game is fun, and any player that is dedicated to getting better can achieve such a status.
This game thrives on veterans, remove them, and this game will very quickly die.

jaguar
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:35:36 am »

Only changes that will happen to melee is that to make it more accurate on hit detection. So in other words melee will not be changed!
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:39:35 am »

I think they should make changes that r liek good n stuff, and not make changes taht r bad n shit, cause then it will make the game pwn more. I r clever no?

Takz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:41 am »

define veterans.

Domine, libera nos a furore normannorum
Sed praesepe, Domine, a humore eorum
-Storm of Vengeance-
-Mein-
The One and Only
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:58 am »

2. Making the game better for beginners is more important.

got my vote!

Frist of all i can farm more then^^ hehe and if 100 new players start maybe 20 get into clans and become better so the clans will get more members and more activ.
If you only got the same players all you can do is shuffle them around in the clans

UnSaFe
Lifetime fan of Crom
Newerth Donator

ex-troll

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:09 am »

Why don't you try to make both sides happy?

JackBauer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 11:52:02 am »

FOR BEGINNERS - Definately

I know alot of people who think that savage is NICE and has a great concept but they simply are annoyed of beeing farmed all day and leave the game after 1 week.

the problem is more that we call everyone who`s new to the game and accidently presses the COMM BUTTON a "fucking idiotic, assfucking, retarded NEWBFACE" Cheesy

so its more a community problem. It was easier to enter the game in 2004 - today - you have like no chance as nub Cheesy

form those WE TRAIN NEWB CLANS - and train the newbs Wink
Mats

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 02:36:11 pm »

This question is pretty stupid. It's way to general. It all depends on what changes you had in mind. I doubt there is many changes which are exclusive like this anyway. Give some examples please.
SpearWolf
Demon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 03:22:54 pm »

Elaborate what you mean by making the game "better" for beginners?

IF you mean make it easier for them to get used to the game, then that has my vote, but i just want clarification here.

“The higher we soar, the farther we appear to those who cannot fly." - Nietschze
WarDragonZ
Divine Punishment Form

50% tempest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 03:29:35 pm »

Hey look at savage 2, I made a gigantic fucking post with like 600 replies back when they said there wouldn't be any leap or accurate/powerful weapons. They also said it'd be easier for noobs to kill good players (low skill ceiling). I warned them, they didn't listen, I post on how they failed once they advertise on steam (LOLOLOL) and i get a 1 year ban. Maliken is my bitch.

There's a REASON that game sucks. Learning curves = a reason to play games. Savage has about the steepest learning curve ive ever seen in a game, which is just awesome imo.

THE ONLY REASON savage one failed, is because stupid worthless shitty S2games decided to take like SIX months to fix SIMPLE ass bugs, then like a year and a half to release 2.0e (should of been 1.0). I knew some guys that were going to make competition mods for savage, get tournaments for savage, mainstream the shit out of it, but the DEVS just didn't give a shit because they didn't instantly sell 5 million copies.

Had s2games given a shit about s1 it'd be a very popular game today.

Had they fixed:
Catapults 1 shotting unlimited targets per shot
Rabid 1 shotting nomads and 2 shotting everything else
Legos block not working long enough to be useful
Flux doing like 1 damage per shot and having 8 ammo (sarcasm)
Immobs holding the target in place for like 7 seconds totally unable to act

within ONE FUCKING WEEK of the game being released, it'd have about 5x the players right now. (and probably 20x the players a month after release)

But again, they failed, they failed with savage 2 even more.

So anything you want to do to savage 1 at this point really won't matter that much, maybe just keep the game from totally dying i guess.

Wow, total rant there, but it happens, just gotta do this:

/rant
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:39:54 pm by WarDragonZ » Logged

Bunny
Evo - my biatches!

Evolved Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:28 pm »

For both. U cant separate this things.
Gimme example of making games for beginners and for veterans.

JackBauer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »

For beginners: don´t use new players as npc´s - remember that you all started as newbs - don´t kick every newb that accidently pressed comm button and ruined a match.
For Pros: insert bots Cheesy or mage items more powerful that will never ever be used by newbs Cheesy
jaguar
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 04:28:03 pm »

To make the game better for beginners would mean balance and hopefully other things to help. I would like to make a small tutorial to help with newcomers.

To make the game better for vets would be to leave it in its current state however make it look pretty and fix bugs plus add small featues.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: