Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2020, 04:33:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190053 Posts in 11007 Topics by 18542 Members
Latest Member: bennevisderking
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  Stat rankings for support actions?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stat rankings for support actions?  (Read 9477 times)
mickel
Assault Fortificationist

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:24:10 pm »

It seems all team FPS games ignore the support people in the stat rankings. I know, I'm usually one. It seems if you're not killing enemies, you're noone. It's a shame, we support players need some appreciation too. Where is the love?  Huh

The infantry exists to get the forward observers to the next hill.
hell'
#*~"[?|
Super Hero Member

God is an urban myth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:55:09 pm »

bob the builder
best healer
best miner
most NPC kills (aka team gold)

for how long you play?

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. Friedrich Nietzsche
Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination. Edward Abbey
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:57:09 pm »

Don't forget capatilist and teachers pet.

mickel
Assault Fortificationist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 05:07:09 pm »

Been playing a couple of days. I usually get teacher's pet, sometimes best miner, and best medic when the medic is available - which has been very seldom... but no real support awards. Then again, it's hard to do fire support without fire support weapons... I can't count the amount of times I have wanted a good medium machine gun - or magical equivalent in the case of the beasts. And yes, the repeater and flux gun have been suggested before, and no, they don't cut it by far. Machine gun, not submachine gun.  Tongue

daendil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:54:40 pm »

Yes, I sometimes feel it too that Savage is lacking a good mass-murder weapon - something that could be used against ganging up enemies - like the rocket launcher in UT. The only candidates would be cata and behe, but both are too clumsy to be used effectively on the field (and siege camping is on the border of being against the rules).

Biggest MMORPG fan is in red. Does it mean that it's negative?
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »

ADD S2 SUPERUNITS!!!!!!

mickel
Assault Fortificationist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:40:09 pm »

I noticed you don't get any awards for being a diligent healer, and even worse - no gold. It has the unfortunate effect of limiting my healing career if I get too close to the front too many times and run out of gold. Tongue

With over 50 people in a server Savage is really approaching a stage where it's getting interesting in a tactical sense. 25 people at least makes up a couple of decent squads so you get a small platoon. I'm still not happy until I see a game like this on a brigade level though. That would be any amount of awesome.

cutter
Super Hero Member

Easy as 123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:23:42 am »

Teamwork does work excellently in this game. It just doesn't work as well on public games because, frankly, there are too many newbs who don't listen to anything at all.
In clanmatches, teamwork is more important than skill, and whoever has the best, wins.

But yea, I understand where you're coming from, basically the only time I can ever get some  teamwork going is when I go out and ask some guys on my team if they want to demo something with me. Those rushes work wonders, but they seldom happen.

Swilt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:51:05 am »

What some of the shoutcasts in the NSL section to see teamplay as you described. It is the most addictive thing in savage.
UnnamedNewbie(20)
Official Newerth.com Troll

Z0MG INVITE FOR MY! I POOR FAMALY NEED DOTA MONEY

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:53:29 am »

I noticed you don't get any awards for being a diligent healer, and even worse - no gold. It has the unfortunate effect of limiting my healing career if I get too close to the front too many times and run out of gold. Tongue

With over 50 people in a server Savage is really approaching a stage where it's getting interesting in a tactical sense. 25 people at least makes up a couple of decent squads so you get a small platoon. I'm still not happy until I see a game like this on a brigade level though. That would be any amount of awesome.

1. There is an award best healer.
2. Healing gives exp.
3. Reviving gives gold.

Quote from: Trigardon
what am I know? A stupid asshole? Always been.
Quote from: Tjens
very ncie sig
Quote from: a ! M b O T*
//offtopic rly nice sig newbi lol
Quote from: UnSaFe
I intended to make the same sig[/
mickel
Assault Fortificationist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:56:25 am »

2. Healing gives exp.
3. Reviving gives gold.

1. Best healer goes to most revives, not healing.
2. Healing gives exp, which is basically useless.
3. Healing doesn't give gold.

The bottom line to this is that if you want recognition in the form of gold and awards, you should let people die and then revive them, instead of keeping them healthy which doesn't give you anything. I recognize the problem from Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, except in that case it was a lot worse due to medics being able to - at high levels - make themselves invulnerable, That led to medics over a certain level simply not healing people because they were too busy fighting.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:01:46 am by mickel » Logged

UnnamedNewbie(20)
Official Newerth.com Troll

Z0MG INVITE FOR MY! I POOR FAMALY NEED DOTA MONEY

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 11:04:01 am »

2. Healing gives exp.
3. Reviving gives gold.

1. Best healer goes to most revives, not healing.
2. Healing gives exp, which is basically useless.
3. Healing doesn't give gold.

1. Dunno bout that, but I remember I often saw Best healer xxxx hp healed
2. Exp are one of the most usefull things in the game (btw how long do you play? I guess newbies wont get that). Just after level 9 they are useless. But there you can also get award most exp Cheesy
3. Sure it doesn't, because if you revive an alli next to 10 legos, you risk a dead, if you just hide behind sub (tree, rock,..) and heal your allies, it's mostly useless, because if the alli just reaches the sub, he don't need your heal anymore, cause he can go and farm NPC's with carn.

After reading your update: Don't think you are able to keep somebody fighting alive, cause you will nevernevernever hit a fighting pred with your heal. Also look point 3 for that. Revive the killed pred has a use, but healing it at some safe place where he can get carn ain't really usefull (if the pred kills some NPC's to heal, your team and the pred get gold what is much more usefull like if the shaman gets some gold for healing the pred.) Max. you can do is to shield the pred (shield is anyway best weapon of shaman).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:10:21 am by UnnamedNewbie(20) » Logged

Quote from: Trigardon
what am I know? A stupid asshole? Always been.
Quote from: Tjens
very ncie sig
Quote from: a ! M b O T*
//offtopic rly nice sig newbi lol
Quote from: UnSaFe
I intended to make the same sig[/
cutter
Super Hero Member

Easy as 123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:17:30 pm »

Sorry unnamed, you're wrong, and mickel brings up valid points.

Best Healer goes to the person with the most revives. AFAIK, the game doesn't even record how much health is healed.
As a healer, experience isn't really that important. Sure, its important up until level 7, but you would most likely be at that level by the time healers are finally researched.
Healing shouldn't give gold imo, as it could be abused ( pred lets a monkit attack him, shaman heals him for a team gold boost), but not getting gold certainly is a drawback, as there isn't any way that they can continue to respawn as a healer, after they inevitably die.

And unnamed, healing is WAY better to do before they die.

Remember, when you die, you throw out bags of gold. Making sure they don't die beforehand denies the other team gold. Also, being healed while you're still alive does not mean you are necessarily in a "safe spot" (next to a garr/sub). Heck, most of the healing I see is in battle situations, when the recipient stalls for just a second to get healed.

Please stop calling him a newb when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 12:39:53 pm »

Best healer goes for most HP healed. 1/2 Health from revives goes to that stat aswell. Revive is a lot better than healing, that should be obvious.

mickel
Assault Fortificationist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:53:18 pm »

Best healer clearly states in the stats screen it's for most revives. There's nothing for most healing.

And yes, I can keep a fighting pred alive during fighting if I have to. People can accurately coilgun a fighting pred, so why shouldn't I be able to heal them? That's how me and one other guy fought off most of the enemy team in my last game. He was a really, really good melee artist, and I was really, really well hidden in a bush. Oh, and the enemy team were really, really stupid and never came at him more than half a dozen at a time.

But if you have the manpower and are a bit smart I don't have to snipe a moving target or expose myself in order to heal. It's called withdrawing from the enemy LOS and let me work my magic on you while you stand still for a goddamn second and a half.

And no exp is useless to me. I get armor that lets me last zero point three seconds instead of zero point two five seconds before the still inevitable death? Whoop-de-do. I am really really happy on the inside now... Rolleyes Armor is sweet fanny adams to me. If the enemy sees me, I'm dead. Period. 25 hitpoints either way don't make no difference. Being able to jump a little bit further before I'm shot down don't make no difference either.

If those exp points gave me something useful to show for it, I'd consider them reward enough, but for now they're just a meaningless number.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: