Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2021, 05:57:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190085 Posts in 11010 Topics by 18598 Members
Latest Member: mootpoinT
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Savage combat terminology/glossary?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage combat terminology/glossary?  (Read 15936 times)
tanks
Retired

Abandoned By Shamoke

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 06:13:51 am »

freeswing is a dueling term

'Its Not about dieing for your country...Its about makeing the other basterd die for his.'
Dragonsclaw
'Useless fanboi forum spammer'

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 01:29:35 pm »

freeswing is a dueling term

I have no idea what "freeswinging" could mean. Does it mean freely swinging? Who doesn't do that?

And do who tried to explain it.. thats just noobery.

ReDMaN
--SoV-- Admin and organizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:52 pm »

freeswing is just a lego hit without a block.. and ppl CRY alot if you freeswing :p that's what i've learned :p
tanks
Retired

Abandoned By Shamoke

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 05:52:45 pm »

Freeswinging is a dueling term.

As humans its basicly when you take a swing without performing a successful block (stepping to the side and hitting a beast while it leaps), or after performing a block continue to hack into the opponent (usely becuase they have drained thier stamina).

From beasts perspective, its when a human has made a successful block and as he swings the beast takes a swip before usualy leaping away (though depending on how the human player plays, its possible to 'double block' so to speak, yet with SEP it became difficult to judge most situations and came down to basic luck). Hence this is why meds were introduced.

Otherwise depending on bother players view on duel conduct. A beast is free to attack, but must retreat after being blocked without takeing a 'freeswing', and the human player must not take a swing unless a succesful block has been produced.

'Its Not about dieing for your country...Its about makeing the other basterd die for his.'
Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »

A legionnaire can not hit enemies that are very close to him with his swings.
bullshit

It decreases the damage you would get from the hit too. can block all damage, except the damage over time from being poisoned. Again, block decreases the damage taken. It does not make you take no damage at all. It can make you take less damage.
someone having a mental problem?

Java
Newerth Referees (US)

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2008, 05:01:51 pm »

I got one for the J's
Java - God.

Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2008, 04:00:38 am »

It's funny that wiki still hasn't been fixed... bump.

Fake: A move that can be used in both offense and defense. It consists of a direct indication of attack, often involving leaping towards opponent for beasts and changing movement direction for humans, both finishing with an attack (However, in certain cases only the attempt to attack is being performed).

Fakes are extremely useful for keeping mobile human opponent slowed down, or even rendering him static. Skilled human fighters often use fakes as a teaser for an enemy, provoking him to make a leap (read:waste stamina) either towards them or away.

Crowd control: For humans: ability to successfully maneuver among a mass of enemies, using just blocked enemies as obstacles. For beasts: ability to bring havoc to their enemies by effectively staying extremely mobile on the battlefield, using enemies only as rabid fuel, generally trying to kill as much enemies as possible by avoiding locking to single enemy.

Lock: The other games usually call it "tunnel effect", but it is a bit different in Savage. Basically, locking occurs when a player is determined to kill other player, often ignoring all the obstacles. Happens very often among new players. Basically, if you focus on a single opponent too much, you will ultimately become weakened for surprise attacks, not to mention summoner strikes. Veteran players can see "locked" duelers on the battlefield and exploit that by getting to their side or back.

P.S. I'll repeat once again, there's no such thing as "freeswing". I am usually getting about 1 block per 2 kills, does it mean I'm "free swinging"? No, just using common sense. Why the hell people think that you should block before you hit? /rant off
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:06:01 am by Enliven » Logged

tanks
Retired

Abandoned By Shamoke

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 05:52:16 am »

'freeswing' has nothing to do with pubs. If someone accuses you of freeswinging in a pub they're a moron. Same goes for bounceing.

born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

Found joy in getting owned

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:50 pm »

It's funny that wiki still hasn't been fixed... bump.

It's a wiki, fix it yourself :p

I am currently working. One month. Studentjob thingie, whatever it's called in english. It's killing me. And before that i had to study for school. You might have noticed i didnt play much savage either the last few months.

Enliven
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2008, 01:43:42 pm »

Updated first post to look nicely.

Venture
DEMONS

War is based on Deception. Long live DEMONS.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 09:51:16 pm »

Some missed terms.

Rebound: This is when a human player blocks a beast and when the human player goes to hit the blocked beast that is stuned the beast takes a swing as soon as stun wears off and lands it. Your basically getting a free hit as beast and should always do this. Theres no reason not to get your rebound. Smiley

Turtling.
When a human commander builds his base to the point where its almost invunerable to summoner/siege attacks placing the shiled usually as far back from the enemy's fire as possible. Like a turtle retreating into his shell.

Pmine(powermine)
The act of a team mining stone very quickly with there backs against a sub/garrison placed directly next to a stone mine. In laymen terms, your getting stone super fast.

Whore.
Any person who abuses game mechanics/weapons/items/buffs to get kills soley this way. BuffWhore/SummWhore/SiegeWhore/CoilWhore/ListaWhore you get the idea.

Farming(I think someone said this)
The act of an individual or team harvesting kills in great numbers suffering few deaths at the expense of the other team. Usually due to the fact that one team is greatly outteched our outmanuvered and at a huge tactical disadvantage.

Bow with scope. My favorite Smiley lol. This refers to the Marksman Bow. Guess this ones kinda obvious. Maybe just a fun term Smiley

Xbow with spokes: Lol this is really old. only a few people used this one. This refers to the ballista. Just another fun term.

Terms not seen much but more of a tactic/skill:

3 shot.
When a predator 3 hit kills a legonaire quickly. 1,2,3 hit combination really fast to the point the legonaire has no time to heal or even knows WTF is going on.  (It takes 3 hits from a pred at level 3 experience to kill a lego).

1 shot.
One of the crappiest ways to die. Ballista or summoner or behemoth or electrical buff death. Basically you have no chance to survive full health or not. You get hit by one of these bad boys and its lights out. Its when these weapons are abused against someone in repetition that savage game play suffers IMO.

Escape: When a human player escapes a rebound from a beast player by any tactic. The most well used tactic is to hold shift (run) while moving backwards as you swing to hit the stunned beast in hopes that midswing when the beast becomes unstunned he wont be able to reach you. Also can do a spin around his back as your hitting him stunned in hopes he cannot turn and hit you midswing when he becomes unstunned.

Freeswing IMO:
Its simple. You get a free swing(Freehit). You really dont have a clue if its going to land therefore its luck. Theres no skill, your mearly assuming that a beast will leap or run in front of the swing. You have no idea if its going to work. If it lands you just got yourself a freeswing. Simple. Veterans hate this because if your fighting 1 against many noobs that really should have no way of killing you in a 1vs1 fair fight or even 1vs2or3or4 and there all freeswinging like crazy its very possible that the mear fact that there are so many blades swinging around that the noob frenzy freeswinging fest alone will kill you. lol. The power of the noob frenzy freeswinging extravaganza is amazing. Also, this can be used with skill by a skilled player and actually aimed and timed skillfully and not looked upon as bad. I.E moving backwards luring the beast in for a leap and anticipating the leap. Its only looked upon badly when you know that the guy had no idea he was going to hit you or anything at all for that matter. You mearly were leaping in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hence you gave him a freeswing(freehit more like it).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: