Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2022, 10:08:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190132 Posts in 11016 Topics by 18640 Members
Latest Member: MrCnR
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Hotkeys + World Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hotkeys + World Question  (Read 4997 times)
Dawodo

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:59:18 pm »

Hi,
today i tried to change my hotkeys and basic controls on grounds of, but...well Savage just resets some Options.
1. How can i force Savage to accept all my Control-Settings? (I deleted the Up, Right, Left and Down [-> just WASD for moving] as well as the numbers 1-5 [inventar hotkeys]) What's the name of the hotkeys and controls and how can i edit it correctly?
2. What Hotkeys are really senseless? For example: Toggle Attack seems senseless to me. There are many Options you can edit, but what exactly makes my Savage optimal "tuned"?
3. How can i start Apanel? I loaded and installed it, i can even load it with "k" but how can i start it? I know, by pressing "[" but...does not work. And how can i define [ as an normal hotkey? (Savage registrates every keyboard-button as own hotkey :$

__

4. Why can't I load TRAIN Maps? I have Savage + 200e patch + sfe + sfe-patch (+ apanel and some other mods).

Answers would be great :DD Cheesy
Dawodo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 03:31:47 pm »

I just realized that i cannot load Duell Maps, too :$
No ideas so far? Sad
LaDy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 05:19:40 pm »

Savage is still a new game so there are lots of bugs in it atm, wait 3 or 4 months it will all be fixed. Rolleyes
Notausgang
Map Admin
Super Hero Member

Gnagsuaton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 05:35:24 pm »

1. How can i force Savage to accept all my Control-Settings? (I deleted the Up, Right, Left and Down [-> just WASD for moving] as well as the numbers 1-5 [inventar hotkeys]) What's the name of the hotkeys and controls and how can i edit it correctly?
Edit/look at your /Savage/game/startup.cfg file.
2. What Hotkeys are really senseless? For example: Toggle Attack seems senseless to me. There are many Options you can edit, but what exactly makes my Savage optimal "tuned"?
"Toggle Attack" is great for powermining. There is no such thing as an "optimal tuned" configuration, it depends on the playing style, the computer and the player's taste.
4. Why can't I load TRAIN Maps? I have Savage + 200e patch + sfe + sfe-patch (+ apanel and some other mods).
You need a special server for hosting a training map.
Dawodo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:02:46 pm »

Savage is still a new game so there are lots of bugs in it atm, wait 3 or 4 months it will all be fixed.  Rolleyes
lol ^^  Cheesy

Edit/look at your /Savage/game/startup.cfg file.
Thanks Cheesy
"Toggle Attack" is great for powermining. There is no such thing as an "optimal tuned" configuration, it depends on the playing style, the computer and the player's taste.
Hmm ok, but are there any Functions, that are senseless? Because if you configure everthing, you wont have many free keys for own binds, do you?
You need a special server for hosting a training map.
Well, i dont want to host a game, i just want to go on a server and play there. The most common Maps can be loaded, but all TRAIN and DUELL Servers can't :S Savage says "Error loading World."

Thanks for Answers Cheesy
born_to_be_noobish
Smile clan superadmin
Newerth Donator

Found joy in getting owned

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 02:06:58 pm »

Ready/hide vote might be pointless. I never used it. Dunno what it does.

Notausgang
Map Admin
Super Hero Member

Gnagsuaton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 02:58:56 pm »

Ready/hide vote might be pointless. I never used it. Dunno what it does.
If there's a vote running you can hide it, if you want to see that part of the screen where the vote is over, or if it annoys you and you want to ignore it. Show vote is for the rare case you want to undo the hiding wink

I think there are still far enough keys to put own binds on; esp. if you make use of modifier keys (ctrl, alt and shift). Also one can put multiple things on keys which are never used in the same context. My 1-4 keys e.g. allow me to switch to a certain inventory item as a field player (i must admit i mostly use the mouse scroll wheel though) and as a spectator they allow me to join team 1 through 4 Smiley
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:01:32 pm by Notausgang » Logged
Dawodo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 01:13:28 pm »

Ok...so far i solved some of my Probs.

Problems left:
Why can't i enter TRAIN Maps, DUELL Maps or even some other Maps? There are some "Standart"-Maps like Eden2, evergreen losthills ... (i think about 10-20) i can enter (not Host, just play D:)
but there are some strange maps, i just cannot enter...does anyone have an idea?
My Savages contains:
-Savage Programm (from a Cd from a games magazine - according to this, its the same version as the download version)
-200e full patch (from e2games...well i got link from savage itself...wanted to 2check for updates oO)
-sfe *
-sfe-patch (this and * from notforidiots.com)
-apanel (from this site)
-some mods [skins only] (from this site)
-some binds (from this site or selfmade)

Can anyone help me? Sad
Notausgang
Map Admin
Super Hero Member

Gnagsuaton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:31:47 pm »

Why can't i enter TRAIN Maps, DUELL Maps or even some other Maps? There are some "Standart"-Maps like Eden2, evergreen losthills ... (i think about 10-20) i can enter (not Host, just play D:)
but there are some strange maps, i just cannot enter...does anyone have an idea?
This sounds like your Savage is having problems with downloading maps which it hasn't got yet; are sure it has all necessary permissions to download e.g. http://www.newerth.com/maps/sav1/duel_unknown_2.s2z?
Dawodo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:50:34 pm »

oh Shocked
No, i haven't downloaded that....i will check it Smiley
The file goes in \game\world, doesn't it?

Another question:
What brings Samurai Wars? Will it overwrite my current Mods (sfe, apanel, patches and binds?) Shall i load it? :S

...btw: bin deutschsparchig <.<
Notausgang
Map Admin
Super Hero Member

Gnagsuaton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 02:09:18 pm »

oh Shocked
No, i haven't downloaded that....i will check it Smiley
The file goes in \game\world, doesn't it?
Actually your client should download that file itself once you try to join a server on which it is played; and yes, it does into \game\world.

Another question:
What brings Samurai Wars? Will it overwrite my current Mods (sfe, apanel, patches and binds?) Shall i load it? :S
Samurai Wars is a real mod of Savage: new units, new setting, new client, new server; you cannot patch your normal Savage to "Samurai Wars" as that's a completely separate install Wink

...btw: bin deutschsparchig <.<
As long as you understand English too the answers might help some ppl which are not speaking German searching if they experience similar problems Wink
loopmode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:18 am »

First things first: Can it be that you actually only have the demo version of savage, and not the latest full SFE Version of

Savage?
You can download the latest version here: http://www.newerth.com/?id=downloads&op=displayDownloads&category=1
it is 153.4MB, and once you unpack it, you can directly launch it. Now there should be many many more maps (and servers) too chose from.

To 'train' you can host a game yourself. When you see the serverlist, click "Host" at the top, and launch any map installed. You can find most maps map at http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps, but usually new maps are automatically downloaded, so playing alot brings you some new maps basically.

It is actually very recommendable to do this (try things out alone in your hosted local game)  because you are forced to try commanding - you must use your workers, get resources and research items / units first. But if you go out to "train" with your units / items, you will be pretty lonely in your hosted game. Smiley

About useless keys: There actually is one useless combination as default, but it will only concern you when you become a more experienced player, or at least an officer Smiley (one of the guys with a flag/staff on their back)

Let me explain:
The F key is given to a feature of the original Savage game: "Officer command" .
When you are Officer, you can use the F key to give commands to the players near you. You look somewhere (place the cursor there) and press F , and a green beam will be there for all your teammates nearby, showing the place you marked.

Now you would expect that when you see an enemy, and you mark him, he should be a red target for your teammates telling them to attack. In theory, this is also true, the problem is however, that you really have to aim very very correctly to succesfully mark an enemy wth the "Officer command" key. Actually it's as if you wanted to shoot him with a coil rifle  Smiley
This is impossible for quickly approaching/moving beasts - especially for beasts on frenzy/sacrifice.

Since the SEP modification (imo) there is a new, improved version of this feature, and it is called "Officer target last". It is much much better, actually it's really great, because it kinda 'snaps' to the nearest enemy, and marks him for everybody, and for yourself too - vey comfortable for shooting summoners Smiley

However you cannot tell teammates to walk somewhere with "Officer target last", because it only snaps on enemies, and you need "Officer command" dor that.
so to 'fix' this issue, put
"Officer target last" to F
"Officer command" to G

Now in fast-paced battle, you can always make use of your officer ability and quickly mark the closest or most dangerous enemy by hitting F ("Attack here!"), and if you want them to walk somewhere, you can use G and tell them "Move here!".
it's actually your responsibility to use these keys when you are officer! Your team will play much better when you mak targets wisely!!

Also, I don't remember the default for ZOOM, but I found it useless. i have zoom on TAB and love coiling like that. i sent the scoreboard to the key above TAB, left of 1.

happy gaming!  Afro

[EDIT:]
I don't know whether you will be able to play Samurai Wars, there are very few players, in fact I would call the mod 'dead'
correct me anybody, if there still is an active Samurai Wars community/'scene'?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:07:54 am by loopmode » Logged
Dawodo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 12:31:57 pm »

Thanks for the answers. Smiley
I think its a little bug or something...well as Notausgang said, its "repaired" now. I can play on any Map, but some, i have to load from this page first...well no problem Cheesy

Thanks again ^^
Cola (Fr)
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 01:50:01 am »

I created a special map for play offline at this mod : Cola_Training_offline

http://hl-pwd.forumactif.com/

But there are some differences :

In the off-line version :
 - Area 16 and 17 can't work so they are deleted
 - We cannot command
 - Full mode doesn't work

Everything else works well :
 - resurrection is OK
 - Duel and FFA mode are OK
 - Get in the flag OK
 - AI OK