Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2021, 06:47:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190122 Posts in 11015 Topics by 18626 Members
Latest Member: RabbitWhite
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  TUTORIAL: Map Making Guide Part 1.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TUTORIAL: Map Making Guide Part 1.  (Read 38398 times)
Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2006, 03:45:46 am »

Here are all the links you need to get started mapping in savage!

Mapping guide:
http://www.evolvedserver.com/savagemapping/ (UPDATE: was pissed off with the main site going down so we mirror it now)
[This is the best and only mapping guide webiste]

Mini Map Icons:
Download Here!
[This is a collection of mini map icons that takes the pain out of mini map creation. I used them when I used to map they are amazing. Shame it only took me an hours to find them in google Cry]

SavageMaps.com: (sites down)
http://www.savagemaps.com/
http://savagemaps.e-able.com/
[This is the best site for resources on map making]

Modeling guide:
http://finiteproductionslimited.netfirms.com/Savage-ModelingTutorial.htm
[Link to a guide on making custom models to you maps]

Animation and Exporting guide:
http://finiteproductionslimited.netfirms.com/Animationandexport.htm
[Link to a guide on animating and exporting your custom models

Sheepish's Occluder Guide:

Ok for those that would like to learn how to lay occluders flat here is a simple tutorial to show you

Firstly you need an occluder and position it half in the ground this i find is the easiest way.... see picture below...

then hold your "alt" button and move your mouse down till the occluder is roughly rotated 90degrees you should know when this is ... see picture below for rough guide...

next step you hold your "ctrl" button and move yout mouse down once again and do this till you can see it looks flat you can lay it on the grass to see how flat it is and use last 2 steps to tweak but it should be similar to the picture below....

then to finish off tuck it underneath the grass using "shift" button and down making sure none sticks out and you should now of learned how to place a occluder flat under the grass and have a picture similar to this...

Hope that helps you all get started! (Thanks mefix for your links and sheepish [aka SKO] for your occluder guide)

Cheers DJ.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:48:23 am by DJ » Logged
MrEvilDr
I hate you, give me one!

t('-'t) <--- Kirby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:59:22 pm »

One of my questions isn't answered in that map guide.. How do i make some terrain buildable? I don't know if I can do it and would appreciate if one of you more experienced map makers could maybe fix my problem.

The thing is I can't build in some areas that I want to build in, and I don't know why. I have no idea how to fix it either. I know the terrain is completely flat because I've checked every time I go to map maker.

Dunno if this is the right place to post but hey, It says Savage mapping help on the thread name.

Cheers,

Evil

ithkul

Of all d things I've lost, I miss my mind d most.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 12:21:34 am »

thanks dj  Smiley

Case
XR gfx pimper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:14:12 pm »

The thing is I can't build in some areas that I want to build in, and I don't know why. I have no idea how to fix it either. I know the terrain is completely flat because I've checked every time I go to map maker.

hm the space might be too close to the map border or some bounding box is in the way. I've experienced that kind of prob with scaled objects. rocks in particular. Check em, or delete em or move em and try again. Smiley

MrEvilDr
I hate you, give me one!

t('-'t) <--- Kirby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 03:38:06 pm »

Well I know that it's not too close to the map border because it's right in the middle of the map Smiley.

But there are 2 places that are on the map border that I can't build on. Pretty wierd stuff!

Cheers for the help.

Baki-PL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 08:56:57 pm »

make a new map Tongue

woah savagemaps is back on :O
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 08:58:34 pm by Baki-PL » Logged

Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 12:51:37 am »

Edited the first post and added sheepish's occluder guide!  Afro
Case
XR gfx pimper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 08:28:02 am »

and you deleted my question why one would need a flat occluder in the ground? Sad

Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 12:32:55 pm »

Sorry mate :/ couldnt join the topics together.

You'd want horizontal occluders for buildings that you can walk on top off, but i think the main point was to show how to change the tilt of the occluders.  Smiley
Baki-PL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 03:26:57 pm »

the savage maping site aint working (the 95.53.64622..65 something Tongue), so now i ask anyone remembers the command that made u see more "farclip 1000" or sth like that, cuz of the new editor its on normal now :/

Baki-PL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 07:22:34 pm »

nvm i got it, its:
gfx_farclip 10000

Baki-PL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 04:06:30 pm »

savagemaps.e-able.com is down again :/ or did they change the adress again?

Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 05:42:52 am »

Seems like its down for good mate Sad
Baki-PL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 04:15:05 pm »

damn :/

so ill have to post my maps in bigupload then?

Sheeproth
EvO's Mapper!
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 09:53:27 pm »

One of my questions isn't answered in that map guide.. How do i make some terrain buildable? I don't know if I can do it and would appreciate if one of you more experienced map makers could maybe fix my problem.

Dunno if this is the right place to post but hey, It says Savage mapping help on the thread name.

Cheers,

Evil

hey mate yeah i know the problem ... i had the same with greenpeace ... Firstly it does not matter about the edges of the map all area's are buildable...  secondly make sure all land leading to the area is smoothed out (easy way press "5" on numeric keys above normal letter) make sure that the little prongs that you can see are white and not pink if they are pink the area is unaccessable... thirdly DO NOT place objects above the entrances as this also stops the area being built on... hope this helps if not give me a shout and i will sort it for you

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: