Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 12, 2020, 01:10:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190016 Posts in 11005 Topics by 18524 Members
Latest Member: h1ppy
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  new map: pollution_beta
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new map: pollution_beta  (Read 4818 times)
Andruil
Mapsmith

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:29:45 am »

Hi there!

I made a map and would like to get some feedback. Itīs called pollution_beta. Please let me know your opinion! Bug reports, exploits and balancing suggestions are welcome, too!

(Please donīt slap me because I didn't set occluders yet, I first wanted to make sure I donīt have to make any more landscape changes before I start with occluders.)

Thanks in advance for your time and have fun with it! Smiley

Edit: You can find it here: http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=946
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:31:21 am by Andruil » Logged
hell'
#*~"[?|
Super Hero Member

God is an urban myth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:35:21 pm »

if u uploaded it in the mapping section - why start a thread about it???

ppl can comment there..

dang!  Angry

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. – Friedrich Nietzsche
Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination. – Edward Abbey
Andruil
Mapsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »

sorry, I'm a newbie...  Shocked
Midnight Bomber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:31:17 pm »

Well, I got a few things I can say about it.  Near the center, the part closer to the human's side has more NPCs all grouped together.  This appears imbalanced to me.

On the subject of NPCs, there are practically none near either bases.  This will upset players.  And near the human base, there is a cluster of large mushrooms.  They need to be shrunk or removed, as they have no clipping and you can walk right through them.  You can also walk right through the sides of the ruins_frontgate, which is why they're always blocked off in other people's maps.  Moreover, the lack of objects throughout the majority of the map makes it hard for humans to place sensors.

The dark parts of the ground near the humans' side makes any players on top of it extremely dark.  The black paint is normally used to make shadows, and the game always treats it as such, even if it's just supposed to show oil-stained earth.

Also, in the first picture below, one of the mines is floating.

And finally, the last three pictures shows how to climb up a part of the wall near the human base, and that it can go as far as that big ol' house near the floating mine.

It's an interesting map, but it could use some work.

* Pollute float mine.jpg (54.24 KB, 640x512 - viewed 253 times.)

* pollute mt climb1.jpg (85.6 KB, 640x512 - viewed 253 times.)

* pollute mt climb3.jpg (35.79 KB, 640x512 - viewed 233 times.)

* pollute mt climb4.jpg (59.54 KB, 640x512 - viewed 252 times.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:45:52 pm by Midnight Bomber » Logged

"Atheists are people with no invisible means of support."  -Mad Magazine
Andruil
Mapsmith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:02:39 pm »

Well, I got a few things I can say about it.  Near the center, the part closer to the human's side has more NPCs all grouped together.  This appears imbalanced to me.

Propably. I tried to give the humans an ochore farm, while the beasts get the same amount of NPCs in smaller groups in the forest. I hope this is balanced... I would like to get some more opinions on that before I change it.
On the subject of NPCs, there are practically none near either bases.  This will upset players.
I will change that.

And near the human base, there is a cluster of large mushrooms.  They need to be shrunk or removed, as they have no clipping and you can walk right through them.

I thought it was funny, but you are right, it looks very odd. I think I will just delete them... or, I could place stones in them, so that they get a bounding box...  

You can also walk right through the sides of the ruins_frontgate, which is why they're always blocked off in other people's maps. 

Do you think I should make steep hills at the sides, so that the attackers have to use the gate? Maybe this would be better, as the beasts have a rather narrow way to their base, too.

The dark parts of the ground near the humans' side makes any players on top of it extremely dark.  The black paint is normally used to make shadows, and the game always treats it as such, even if it's just supposed to show oil-stained earth.

Ooops. Okay, I will look for a texture for that job. And I might take a look at the water props, to improve the look of that...

And finally, the last three pictures shows how to climb up a part of the wall near the human base, and that it can go as far as that big ol' house near the floating mine.

It's an interesting map, but it could use some work.

Thanks, I'll do some work on it. That's why it's called beta. Wink Wink Next sunday I might find the time to make a new version. And thank you for all the useful feedback! You helped me a lot! Smiley
Andruil
Mapsmith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 02:52:50 pm »

Beta 0.2 released!

Changes:

- added occluders
- reworked textures (other waste-river texture and no more grass on snow)
- reworked lighting (river no longer made of shadow)
- took some Oschores out of the farm, to some other location
- added Oschores near the bases
- reworked the entrances to both bases (better defense now)
- added more vegetation and stuff to hide sensors in
- fixed some floating stuff (also the mine Midnight Bomber mentionned)
- fixed the "secret mountain path" to the big olīhouse
- removed the large mushrooms Wink

Huh, that was a lot of work. I hope it is allright now. There is only one known issue: The Oschores in the farm at the big ol' house seem to have some pathfinding problems when you attack them from the roof or from inside the house, but I think thatīs allright.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 04:44:43 pm by Andruil » Logged
Mefix
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:34:35 pm »

Yay!
Mefix
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 09:05:16 am »

Dont mind the last statement, it was for testing purposes only
Andruil
Mapsmith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 11:57:29 am »

And I thought you were happy about the changes I made...  Cry

Anyway, Ithink this map is finished, and if nobody sends me any more criticism, I am going to mark it as finished!  Smiley
Andruil
Mapsmith

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:32:41 pm »

Final version is out! (Nearly no changes since beta 0.3)

Humans: Evil beasts are trying to destroy our valuable oil well! Defend it at any costs!

Beasts: Evil humans are poisoning our ancient forest! Defeat them at any costs!

----------

Question: This is not really a Tombstone map, I merely use some of the ts textures. I assume I have to mark it with the prefix ts_ anyway?

Btw, is nobody complaining about the forest being too dense?
moshe1321
Ah.. Why Im Banned Again?!

FunnY , CraZy AnD MosT NoIsy Player!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 06:31:47 pm »

That map looks very cool ..
i hope i can play on it and check it better
XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: