Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2021, 07:17:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190122 Posts in 11015 Topics by 18626 Members
Latest Member: RabbitWhite
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Savage REBOOT?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage REBOOT?  (Read 1939 times)
BREEEWSKY

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:01:39 am »

I'm looking for ideas on how to reboot the popularity of this game??? Maybe we take an ad out on steam? (If that is a thing?)
We used to have a pretty big following, just need to let more, younger people know about the game? I played Savage Resurrection on steam and there was quite a few on there, part of the reason I spent money on it, but it was pretty horrible. Anyways, any ideas are appreciated!

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:32 pm »

Don't think Steam is ever gonna be a thing. Newerth is lacking the rights for the game. I don't think we can do anything at this time without it.

NoxX

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 11:22:47 pm »

I might start stream savage again Smiley. Even though i did not get that much live viewers, my vods of it got quite a lot of views compared to the livestream. So the interest in atleast some content was there Grin
But need to take care of my exams first.

Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:33:00 am »

Might not be able to get it on Steam, but we don't need rights on the game to pitch it to streamers. I remember years ago when Kripp would stream it occasionally and fill a server and a few of us tried to go on there and teach them....they were belligerent teenage shits, but that's the crowd that packs games these days.
Grantboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:10:29 am »

As someone who grew up playing savage, I'd like to get the game going again too, I miss the full servers and grow tired of small skirmishes.
Here are my ideas:
1. Pitch to streamers, not a bad idea, if we hit the right streamer we might get the numbers going again.
2. Reddit/other social media. Reddit has loads of subreddits and even has one for older games.
If we got a few guys to bump the up arrow on a reddit post about savage in one of those forums it could draw some small attention.
3. Put videos on youtube: Some of those older videos have close to one hundred thousand views.

Those are my main ideas, open to suggestion. This games a part of my child hood, but more importantly, if i ever want to get good at this game, i need some targets, so lets make it happen guys.  Wink
Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 02:56:06 pm »

The biggest barrier to growing the game population has always been two fold:

1. The learning curve. Savage is a hard game to learn. This is okay when there are a lot of new people all learning, but over the years whenever there were small influxes of new players, they only had one place to play - the server full of brutal veterans who had spent 10-15+ years mastering every aspect of the game. People aren't likely to stick around and learn a game if they get absolutely dunked on every single game. Which brings me to problem number 2...

2. The vets. I started played Savage in 2004. I was 16. I'm 33 damn years old now and over the years I saw this game die and be reborn and split a dozen times. It's been on life support for a long time but even before that, every time there was a small or medium influx of new players, the veteran community at large is.....not kind. Sure, there are some helpful people out there willing to teach and be patient. But for the most part, I watched new players hop into a game and get triple solo buffed on only for the vet to spam v76 and shit talk them. No wonder they leave.

Sadly, I don't know a solution to the above barriers. With regards to veteran toxicity though, if I'm being fair, the last time I remember a big streamer bringing an influx of players (Kripp), those players were 10x as toxic as some of the worst vets and made teaching them impossible.
Grantboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:57:14 pm »

The learning curve: Fair point and I agree.

The vets and new players: Thats the internet now, and that was the internet when savage first came out, imo, but there were enough players where the rules HAD to be enforced. Enforcing the rules now would just lead to a dead game unfortunately, because of the toxicity you talked about.

This game still appeals to a certain kinds of gamers, its just hard to find those gamers without blatantly advertising.

Idk.
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 08:17:56 pm »

Like Nightmare stated, if Savage is ever to be revived or repopulated or whatever, it needs:

1) a role for new and casual plays besides veteran cannon fodder and monkit farming
2) buff reduce or rework in small games

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 10:50:46 pm »

There's alot more that needs to be done before even thinking about "reviving" the game and probably every single thing that needs to be done requires too much of work without any guarantee of success.

The simpliest thing in my eyes is getting the rights for the game and bring it on different platforms like Steam or Epic Launcher.

Grantboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 11:12:38 pm »

Sounds easier said than done. I'd love for savage to be on steam, it'd allow for my friends to get the game easier.
Paintball
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 11:34:10 am »

Hello there!

Why again wont S2 allow the game to be put on Steam? I've heard that discussion years ago, though I've never fully understood it / cant remember the reasons.

Moreover, as Ive seen it in other old games - isn't there a legal loophole in order to advertise Savage XR as an autonomous game / gamemod that Newerth Dev's are allowed to put & advertise on steam?

Imho I believe
a) putting in on steam
b) small advertising budgets (via donations?)
c) pushing it on reddit

might actually help to really get things going again. Would love to see some activity in the game - never played any game that came close to savage though.

Cheers,
Paint

pew pew
Grantboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 02:01:59 am »

Hello,

1. I also think pushing it on reddit would be a good idea.
2. I would contribute to donations, so i think others might as well.
^.#Tasty
Doomed Noob
Clan Representative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 01:20:47 pm »

i tried to get in contact with the current owner of the rights,
sadly i never got a response.

we need to wait, till the rights run out, 2023 if i remember right

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: