Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 01:11:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189879 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18418 Members
Latest Member: jo40_km
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Main Page News
| | |-+  No troll patch for you!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No troll patch for you!  (Read 2668 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:17:37 am »

Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:57:25 pm »

Made a quick vid of yesterday's match Smiley

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:00:07 pm by Nanaa » Logged
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 10:12:20 pm »

Made a quick vid of yesterday's match Smiley

Looks like fun. Smiley

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:41 pm »

Damnit Daemon you did it again

Attila
Dude! WTF!
Newerth Donator

This is a game only!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:48:15 am »

OMG it's epic  Cheesy
I'm still laughing  Grin
MegaBD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 12:46:06 pm »

This wasn't even funny when so many bugs in the game remain - prioritise your time better maybe?
Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 01:52:08 pm »

This wasn't even funny when so many bugs in the game remain - prioritise your time better maybe?
I believe there's very little code needed for these kind of changes. I believe most of this was models, textures and some gamescripts.

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 04:38:30 pm »

I believe there's very little code needed for these kind of changes. I believe most of this was models, textures and some gamescripts.
There was indeed no bins patch.

Also, "This game is free and has had so much work and time put into it for absolutely nothing in return, but I'm a spoiled brat that feels entitled to have everyone else slave away for my personal entertainment in their spare time because I somehow am of the delusional opinion that I deserve absolutely everything in the world at my beck and call just because of my amazing achievement of having been born because my mother spread her legs for whoever my dad might be." - we will get right on the next patch, sir MegaBD, sorry for the delay!
MegaBD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:24:36 am »

Also, "This game is free and has had so much work and time put into it for absolutely nothing in return, but I'm a spoiled brat that feels entitled to have everyone else slave away for my personal entertainment in their spare time because I somehow am of the delusional opinion that I deserve absolutely everything in the world at my beck and call just because of my amazing achievement of having been born because my mother spread her legs for whoever my dad might be." - we will get right on the next patch, sir MegaBD, sorry for the delay!

Get mad all you want and offend my family all you want, nobody wanted it and they were glad when it was gone. Like a broken record the scream of "free game this" "volunteer that" when something is unpopular, it's unpopular - learn to take criticism.
Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 10:24:02 am »

Get mad all you want and offend my family all you want, nobody wanted it and they were glad when it was gone. Like a broken record the scream of "free game this" "volunteer that" when something is unpopular, it's unpopular - learn to take criticism.
No changed binary-files means that no actual coders did anything to allow this april-fools to happen. There's no dev time wasted on this. Only some models were created by a 2D Artist/3D Artist, but that same person wouldn't have been able to fix bugs.

Let's be honest: this game is way past its shelf life. The last many years it is kept alive by volunteers, which are just keeping it alive. I doubt you will ever get the bug fixes you are looking for, because there is barely any coding done nowadays. Possibly partly because of the community's toxic altitudes towards any and all changes and most work done by the developers.

Your altitude is not likely to motivate Hakugei to fix things, especially when those bugs are often poorly documented or documented without proper way to reproduce them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:30:28 pm by Groentjuh » Logged

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 03:43:32 pm »

It's not criticism, it's entitlement.
You were called out for it - learn to take criticism. Oops. Rolleyes

Groent was kind enough to explain it to you, but do you actually understand?
drk
Community Serveradmin
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:24:38 pm »

Idk who is MegaBD.

Let's be honest: this game is way past its shelf life. The last many years it is kept alive by volunteers, which are just keeping it alive.
Let's be honest: people are still playing and are interested in this game. There are even some of the devs that would help to fix or update something.
And let's be honest that you are nearly no longer interested in supporting this "half-dead game and community" and you don't want and don't allow to share the sources with the others  Wink Your position is clear - let it rather die than it would have a chance to be improved.

I doubt you will ever get the bug fixes you are looking for, because there is barely any coding done nowadays.
25 Mar 2018 - Apr 24, 2019, commits: 233
savage-xr-csp (community-server public, python, configs, etc)
git diff a9c0da27ffcc5c969f77510ee280f2ddc69be1f7 1a86b87e18ba949973ab0a60e6a76a4591fc58b5 --shortstat
774 files changed, 3703 insertions(+), 28598 deletions(-)

30 Nov 2018 - Apr 25, 2019, commits: 28
savage-xr-core (server bins)
git diff 9d58bcd2e8c9065b4872f1a479a5f5d4b281de09 3209f3f6750850dd42691f44236e00beeeb18079 --shortstat
275 files changed, 45389 insertions(+), 36097 deletions(-)

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 06:07:44 pm »

Every XR Coder has access to the source and can independently decide to make updates, with further support from the rest of the team.

If there was no one interested anymore, we would just shut it all down and save the time, effort, and money.
One of these days that might even happen despite there still being a handful of core players - flipping the metaphorical switch is very easy.

It's an incredibly old game, which has received a ton of content, fixes, additions, and freshness over the many years.
But tell me this: Why would anyone spend the time working on horrendously old and messy tech to bring in further improvements to a game that nearly no one wants to play anymore?
MegaBD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 12:09:05 am »

Every XR Coder has access to the source and can independently decide to make updates, with further support from the rest of the team.

Well that's it right there - the catch (with further support from the team).

Anyone can do anything except it will be met with our authoritative wall, your 3d artist obviously is immune to this and do whatever they want evident by the last absurd patch. There is in fact many 3d problems with the game that I'm sure your 3d artist can handle, but like I said (priorities). And saying XR coders have access to the source is like saying "oh it's open source (to me alone) but if you're an xr coder (which only I am) then it's truly open (insert sarcastic smiley)"

Now there's probably a better area to discuss this, but when you look at the front page of newerth and this topic "no troll patch for you" it's a very tastless ugly topic to have pinned, and just makes me feel the development situation is sour/dire and self destructive. All the more reason to relinquish the project to other willing participants.
drk
Community Serveradmin
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 12:23:48 am »

But tell me this: Why would anyone spend the time working on horrendously old and messy tech to bring in further improvements to a game that nearly no one wants to play anymore?
Good question.
Nobody is being forced to develop this game anymore. If "abstract you" are not interested to develop - don't do it and that's it. The back side of this question that nobody else who could help can gain an access because most of you would say "no".

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: