Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2021, 01:00:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190061 Posts in 11009 Topics by 18569 Members
Latest Member: hyperpolymath
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  A hypotethical improvement to the melee meta - hitbox change?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A hypotethical improvement to the melee meta - hitbox change?  (Read 2027 times)
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:25:41 pm »

The idea is simple. Currently, any melee hits have the same hitbox (where the hit land), regardless if its a left swing or right swing.

Hypotethically, swings would be more harder to land, both for humans and for beasts, if the hitbox depended on what arm you was swinging with. For instance, the hitbox could be more to the right for left-handed swings, and more to the left for right-handed swings, as the weapons have most speed at the end of the animation, it makes visually more sense aswell.

I hope you understand what I mean.

For some animations, such as the nomad and scavenger, it wouldnt make sense, as their hit-animations mostly are vertically, but for preds, savage, legionaires and stalkers it does make more sense.

If I have understood the current melee system correctly, I think (im not sure), that this could actually improve the melee in savage, especially if players could pick between left handed and right handed melee.

Its just an idea i've been brainstorming a little bit lately. What do you guys think?

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 04:03:56 pm »

Errrr, what? Huh

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 08:39:52 pm »

It's impossible. Forget about it.
Acutally, forget about any change in melee and hitboxes, period. Too late in the game to even attempt something as massive.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 08:50:35 pm »

Changing the melee system is one of the most difficult things to do, so it doesn't tend to get much love unless there is a vital need for it.

Regardless, you can try changing the melee attacks yourself in the script files (you can try it on bots or with friends).
SavageXR/game/savage0.s2z/script/standard/objects/human_legionnaire.object (and the other units)
Scroll down all the way to the attacks, e.g. atkEdit melee_1

But for offset boxes (along the axis) would first require some testing code before you can test it yourself.
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 01:11:53 am »

Dont worry, this isnt meant as a proposal for something to be implemented. It's merely airing of a idea which I think might improve the melee of savage, in case anyone ever wants to resurrect sava... oh wait, they did that.

Anyway, I kinda needed the pictures in the melee guide Daemon wrote to illustrate what I meant.

The meta it would add, is that you would actually need to watch what arm swings, to get an idea of what is the most likely way the predator would go.

The meta it would add, is that you would actually need to watch what arm swings, to get an idea of what is the most likely way the predator would go. Its still possible to leap both on both sides of a enemy target and land hits, but the illogical way is a bit harder to do, since you need to rotate more to land a hit.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 06:53:42 am »

But that's not how arms hit, unless it's a downward motion. It it's a swipe, a swing, then it describes a horizontal arc in front of the unit, encompassing both left and right areas of your model. It would only stop hits from landing when the hand moves out of its box.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:34:19 am »

I never had the feeling that blocking worked too well in games that did that; like Chivalry and Kingdoms Rise.
Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 09:44:38 am »

Interesting, but changing the core of the game is messing with the magic the game has. The melee is almost perfect already.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »

@Daemon. You're correct, if you want to value realism. A swing hits a broader area than the two areas I painted lovely in paint. The effect you are talking about can to some degree be handled if you have a partially overlapping area, which both left-arms and right-arms hit registers (in the middle). This will make the swings remain relatively realistic.  However,  the area where each hit (left and right arm hits) is registered cant be any bigger than the the size of the currrent area where hits are registered, since that would be too OP, I think.

I would like to mention that in fast-paced combat, I think this system will look better, since everyone is spinning a lot more, and the swings tend to go slower at the end of the animation (hence, its easier to see that it hits, since where the arm is will correspond more to where the hit is registered).

@Hakugei
The idea is meant for offensive moves(hits), only, the idea is not intended to be applied to blocking. (and I agree, i never liked the blocking mechanisms in chivalry etc. either).

@Shagroth
Personal taste and preferences. There is allways room for improvement in any part of the game Smiley

@Everyone
PS. Any change in melee whatsoever, have been largely opposed for many years, mostly because its hard to improve something which is allready awesome. Most proposals are crappy, probably this proposal aswell, but I'd recommend you to not close your eyes for something which actually make sense, if anything like that ever comes up.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: