Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 17, 2022, 12:30:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190132 Posts in 11016 Topics by 18640 Members
Latest Member: MrCnR
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  An alternative way to approach balance-issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An alternative way to approach balance-issues  (Read 1178 times)
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:44:10 pm »

Beasts:   22225  = 58 % win rate
Human:  16685 = 42 % win rate

Draws are not included. This is public games, played on a variety of maps. I know some argue savage is balanced in a competetive setting, with balanced maps - and that might very well be true or not. But a huge majority of the players who keep this game alive, play it 99 % of the time in public games. And hence, balancing the game for public games should be considered the main priority.

Many people have mentioned lots of different ways to counter balance issues. Some general ideas stands as general balance ideas - that applies to all parts in a game. Such ideas are respawntimes, how easy it is to get gold, and lastly - the experience rate.

Other suggestions often seek to balane a particular situation or event or small-time frame in the gameplay. Such a suggestion can be making the sacrifice be be 2nd tier in the arcana, to make life easier early game for humans. Or it can be decreasing the range of the disccharger to make it more easy to fire rush.

But, There is one thing I have not come across as a solution which came to my mind. Why dont we simply extend the research time for things that make the game un-balanced in particular situations? Such as (this is ajust a example) - why dont we just make sacrifice take longer to research, instead of changing its fundamental properties(damage, how long till blowing up etc.)?

Changing the research time is something you can consider a subtle change in balance, most players wont notice it as long as the changes isnt too dramatic, but commanders will be more likely to notice it. Considering the general stubborness among some of the community to changes to items behavior ingame, I think this way to balane the game is more subtle and less dramatic for some of them.

Note: This isnt a propostion to change anything, I'm simply just thinking out loud.

Cheers  Cool

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:10:04 pm »

There's a problem to all of this: Human reloc pub whoring. Makes pro-human balancing pointless since all they want is frags.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: