Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 15, 2019, 09:29:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189902 Posts in 11001 Topics by 18343 Members
Latest Member: JamesMop
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  It's time for a big patch - XR 1.3!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's time for a big patch - XR 1.3!  (Read 36356 times)
Tzvi

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:52 am »

There are too many ways around this.
Foremost, using external programs to chat or talk.
If a bunch of trolls and a playing team comm/player want to group-up in a random pub game just to use team-speak for spying then it's out of any game developer's hand at this moment.
But in 99% of the time no-one will take the extent to do it just to ruin a small pub game (which in most times we are talking about 7-8 players on each team which are pretty randomly sorted).

Secondly, you can all chat (this will not be disabled).
It was disabled in SavRez and I thought it was a good idea.
But ok, then just disable pms IMO.

Thirdly, even if all chat was disabled, you can start a msg vote.
A vote message will reveal the identity of the troll and hence he will have to face:
1) community shaming
2) ref punishment
3) awareness of the "victim" commander he is being spied against (might give him some leeway to react).
hence making it less prone to spying as a whole and lowering spying potential negative impact.
This is also true for "all chat"

Fourthly, even if we disable all chat and msg votes, you can change your name to give out hints.
So again just make it harder by disabling pms to non-specs.. which is the easiest way to spy without any community repercussions.
Fifthly, you can join the enemy team and tell them directly.
You can, but again in this case it would be kinda clear this is what you did and the other team's comm will not be able to react as fast as he can through real-time pms.

Sixthly, if the enemy team is full, you can get someone else to join the other team for a moment.
And seventhly, you could also just join the team you want to spy on and then use all chat or PM to warn the enemy team.

So as said.. you are correct we cannot stop spying, nor should we disable "alll" chat.
What we can do by disabling spec pms to non-spec is make it:
1) Significantly harder (which can be very important since delaying the "spy time" can mean your tactic will be efficient nonetheless)
2) Assuming ppl don't group-up for team-chat/live online stream just for a simple pub match then revealing the spy identity is rather easy.. and it cannot sustain forever such revealing forms of spying since people are changing teams and not "sticking" with their fellow spies (at least nowadays, I don't know what the future holds).
making a spy face the wrath of the community and prone to refs punishments should be enough to lower the risks.

I believe one of the biggest problems Savage is facing today is skilled players don't want to comm from various reasons (and the server gradually empties-up while waiting for 2 comms):
Could be obvious sac rushes which you can't counter efficiently.
Could be the knowledge you will probably be spied against if certain trolls are in spec and you leave a temporary hole in your shield just to tech-up faster.
Could be just a noob team you don't wanna comm.

Of course we cannot handle all those reasons.. but if we help lower the risk of any of the reasons we make Savage more attractive IMO (this is why I also support moving sac to lvl2 and fixing the shuffle vote which sorts players unevenly in sheer numbers).

And I think disabling the spec pm option is rather easy to implement?

Quick Summary Smiley if you don't want to read it all, IMO today it's just too-easy to anonymously spy.
Another way to lower risk is just give god-refs the ability to spec PMs (and punish spies or at least open a forum thread about who was spying).
This could however be a problem that refs would be able to read plain gossip.. but IDK.. (I still think disabling PMs is the best route).

TRA

P.S
Come play with us on pub Clemens..Tongue

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:40:59 am by Tzvi » Logged
Astronis
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:16 am »

It also happens that behe spawners block ballista shots on the sub from far away.
Why not? Siege vs siege. All is fine in this case.

Well humans don't have siege weapons that can block behe attack or summ shot, it's unfair imo.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2017, 10:26:55 am »

Take re-balancing out of this thread, please. Link in 1st post.

Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2017, 12:09:36 pm »

1. Create an small Area of Effect around the Sub-Lair in which behes aren't allowed to attack, this will allow hums to hug the sub lair with the demo without being interfered by the behe. If they try to attack it will not work and you will display a message in red text "Shame on you you dirty behe spawner, not so funny now aren't ya, you little cunt"

We need that message to be implemented word for word. Get on it daemon and clemens!  Angel

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2017, 05:22:23 pm »

P.S
Come play with us on pub Clemens..Tongue
I wish I had the time. Sad
I've been spending nearly all my free time coding this patch.
APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2017, 10:42:23 pm »

Simple feature addon suggestion, deeply needed : Profany filter.

there is a game called "town of salem" which have it, and it turns all swearing, racism etc and nasty insults into random gibberish.

I think such a feature could be useful in savage aswell, as the community language isnt particulary "inviting" to new people. Take a look at Rin for instance.

and of course- the filter should be optionally, and able to turn on/off in settings.

No idea how much work it will be, if too much - dont prioritize it Smiley

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,17283.0.html

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2017, 10:56:41 pm »

Thank you!  Human Bow

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2017, 01:07:44 pm »

After playing shaman for 1 hour just now i realized there is something missing. ShamanShield

• A sound that lets you know you are hitting something with shield, maybe just a brigher version of the current shaman shielding sound
  • At rewards screen, it only says revives not amount of healing done. Shouldn't be hard to add in healing done?

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2017, 03:14:55 pm »

After playing shaman for 1 hour just now i realized there is something missing. ShamanShield

A sound that lets you know you are hitting something with shield, maybe just a brigher version of the current shaman shielding sound

Well there is a sound (and i added it along with a purple effect too) when hitting something with shield, but originates at the target, so if you're far away, you may not hear it.

At rewards screen, it only says revives not amount of healing done. Shouldn't be hard to add in healing done?

Even if it would say healing done, the game and the DB only store revives, not healed HP.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2017, 04:04:12 pm »

A small quality of life improvement: an option to automatically ignore all whispers, but not public chat. The main usage of whispers is to send insult spam without refs noticing, and I could do without that.
KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2017, 04:06:28 pm »

Even if it would say healing done, the game and the DB only store revives, not healed HP.

I think the award itself counts healer XP? Displaying that might make more sense, since it's not actually based on revives.

And on the topic of awards, changing Flag Thief to also count Auto-miners, sawmills etc. might be a good idea. Some maps are all about capturing auto-miners, having that reflected in awards would be nice.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »

At rewards screen, it only says revives not amount of healing done. Shouldn't be hard to add in healing done?
I think the award itself counts healer XP? Displaying that might make more sense, since it's not actually based on revives.
The award is granted to the most Healer XP, and shows total revives as a bonus.
If it's just for the award screen, I can fudge in Healer XP instead without affecting the stats DB.
The question is if both has enough room, or we need to pick one of them.

And on the topic of awards, changing Flag Thief to also count Auto-miners, sawmills etc. might be a good idea. Some maps are all about capturing auto-miners, having that reflected in awards would be nice.
But "Flag Thief" is specifically claiming spawnpoints, aka flags.
Adding the others to it would ruin the point of what it is. Smiley
I can replace the award with something else instead, but the DB will still only count flags.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:59 pm »

A small quality of life improvement: an option to automatically ignore all whispers, but not public chat. The main usage of whispers is to send insult spam without refs noticing, and I could do without that.
That's probably what "cl_filter_private" is for, but I don't think it works.
I'll consider it.

But demorecords and server admins do notice PMs, so if that's an issue, report them accordingly.
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »

Requesting filters for picking maps when calling a vote, in the vote panel. The reason is quite the simple: The current scroll down option takes forever if your map starts with a letter far down in the alphabet. Not to mention - savage have 4000 maps. Oranizing them in some sort on the client could be useful, atleast where you are interacting with them - in the voting panel.

Such as:

xr maps (maps with xr_ in front)
duel maps (maps with _duel_ in its name (reg exp)
sep_ maps (maps with sep_ in front)
samurai maps  (you get what i mean now)
Normal maps
Classics (made by s2games)
3-team maps (regardless of name prefix)
4- team maps (regardless of name prefix)

Edit: A even better thing would be a search box for the map name, disregarding the prefixes (xr, sep etc)
Edit2: Added 3-team maps and 4-team maps as requested filters
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:43:24 pm by Bullet » Logged

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »

Requesting fix for showing correct teamscores:

1. Make them independent of a persons stats. Example: I join  T1, kill 4 guys, dies 6 times. Teamscore is now in human team (if its only me in the team) 4/6.    IF I leave t1 and join t2, humans looses my stats from the teamscore - such that is it 0/0, and beasts gets 4/6 in teamscore. This is flawed logic. In large games where some players manage to get over 100 kills, the teamscore might get really wrong and misleading.

You can easely reproduce this logical flaw by joining a server, kill/die a couple of times and then join the other team, and look how the teamscores changed.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: