Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2019, 10:42:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189886 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18426 Members
Latest Member: fimpaljion
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Last attempt for Savage XR on steam?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last attempt for Savage XR on steam?  (Read 7336 times)
Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »

Maybe it's time to give it another shot seeing as the S2 developers were recently active on SavRez (2 months ago)? I know a lot more of us have spoken to them since the beta skype chat began. Was wondering if someone who spoke to bangerz could persuade him to mention it to Maliken. Can't be the only person who wants to see this happen. Sorry if I am missing other facts, too lazy to find and read dead posts.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:38 pm »

Shag and myself are on it. We have a plan Smiley. Will fail miserably too but it's a plan.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »

Good luck.

SOMA

If you can't convince them, confuse them!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:12 pm »

Nice! Good luck.

Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:31:56 pm »

Would like to hear this "plan" Cheesy Hope it goes well!

Helios
Sun God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 06:47:48 pm »

Shag and myself are on it. We have a plan Smiley. Will fail miserably too but it's a plan.
*fingers crossed*

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:43:15 pm »

Good luck!

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:39:42 pm »

Little update: (Beware, Skype chat below)

Quote from: Skype
[15:05:51] Thomas [Trigardon]: Is Maliken still watching this? In case he is:
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,18498.0.html

So no more Savage games? And I was hoping for Savage 3 at some point Sad
[15:08:23] Kyran D:: Wink nice link there trig
[15:09:24] Kyran D:: Was going to casually try and bring it in later into the conversation but suppose you could just be forward about it Cheesy
[15:35:20] Thomas [Trigardon]: tbh
[15:35:58] Thomas [Trigardon]: I'd be more than grateful if Maliken could clear things finally up - once and for all.
[15:39:57] Marc DeForest: Thomas, what would you like to be cleared up?
[15:40:34] Thomas [Trigardon]: If Savage XR could be added to Steam or not.
[15:42:13] Thomas [Trigardon]: Hopefully I'm not asking for too much right now.
[15:54:57] Marc DeForest: I am not against it, I am assuming as F2P?
[15:56:14] Thomas [Trigardon]: Afaik yes.

Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

That's all we needed, folks. Let's go go go! I want this thing on steam in the next month! No slacking, Daemon....  Angel

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 05:43:24 pm »

Yes, thank you. I'm in the savrez skype so... Smiley

Poor guy said S2Games is history, he's fired everyone and they're not going to revisit Savage title, ever. So in all honesty, it's not the best time to gamble with this answer right when he's totally upset about failing, closing down his company, losing money, and i'd prefer waiting a couple weeks until his announcement of the new game and hopefully he's in a better mood!

But now that the agenda has been pushed.... Wink
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:49:05 pm by Daemon » Logged

Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:53 pm »

The question had to be asked Wink I will gladly support S2 with any games they publish if they allow us this small favour. Not like we haven't waited or politely asked before. It was a shame for everyone that resurrection didn't become a hit  Cry

APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 09:33:35 am »

If this now becomes a reality I'd really like to see some things be prepared for it in advance like:

• Press release
  • Preparing letters to Youtubers
  • Making more video tutorials for the game
  • Taking up this little idea again
  • Newbie servers with active refs and fitting rules

I'll set up a thread or two for these things once I got time and when I know for sure that it's actually going to happen.

Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »

If this now becomes a reality I'd really like to see some things be prepared for it in advance like:

• Press release
  • Preparing letters to Youtubers
  • Making more video tutorials for the game
  • Taking up this little idea again
  • Newbie servers with active refs and fitting rules

I'll set up a thread or two for these things once I got time and when I know for sure that it's actually going to happen.

I think the main objective is trying to get a few old vets to return rather than trying to obtain a new fan-base. I simply don't think the majority of new players will stick around to play an old skill based game when there are other superior titles are on the market. This is definitely not going to revive the game and I think we should all be realistic when talking about this.

For YouTube, I just think it's a waste of time. We saw how well Savage Resurrection did when they went for advertising via the YouTube and Twitch way. Yes, XR is free and SR was not, but who wants to play an outdated game that looks like shit (no offence).

Agreed, there needs to be more tutorials and videos in general. Would be nice if we got a few community montages going, i've wanted to see that for some time. I was hoping Deathly was going to make a few when he returned, but he quickly when inactive again.

Wow, I was inactive when that topic was made about the new icons. eXZeth did a really good job with the majority of them, it's a shame he stopped and never returned.  If someone could finish and implement them it would be great! I think trying to remove anything that's copyrighted is probably the biggest thing we should try to achieve before putting this on steam. I'm sure Daemon and Tirza know what needs to go.

I think this is also important, separating the vets from the noobs to let them explore and try the game for themselves without getting rekt. If there is ever enough noobs to start a game, then I think one ref (vet) should stay spec and kick anyone who obviously knows  how to play the game.

If this ever does happen, and we successfully get the game on steam I think it would be nice to implement steam achievements  Angel Could make the noobs stay a bit longer knowing they are rewarded for dying 1000 times Wink

At this point it's all speculation, but I feel like maliken's answer was enough for us to seize the opportunity.   Smitten
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:36:38 pm by Necrophiliac » Logged

APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 04:16:27 pm »

I think the main objective is trying to get a few old vets to return rather than trying to obtain a new fan-base. I simply don't think the majority of new players will stick around to play an old skill based game when there are other superior titles are on the market. This is definitely not going to revive the game and I think we should all be realistic when talking about this.

I do know this, however I think it's a good to try and make as much noise as possible when we do get a chance of a "second release".

For YouTube, I just think it's a waste of time. We saw how well Savage Resurrection did when they went for advertising via the YouTube and Twitch way. Yes, XR is free and SR was not, but who wants to play an outdated game that looks like shit (no offence).

Actually, the advertisement did fairly well according to their marketing guy. The hard part is to get people to actually stay and play the game. SavRez failed very much on that regard because it was buggy, lacked a tutorial and felt unfinished. XR will definitively face other challenges though and that's why I think it's important that there is a well-moderated newbie server.

There are Youtube channels that talk about older games and you never really know who will pick it up.

Natsu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 02:13:00 am »

So that's what's going on eh?

Everyone knows the PC game market is a hopeless gamble. You don't start making a PC game because you expect to succeed and jackpot. The statistics are clear that almost nobody does. S2 shouldn't be hurt or demoralized over it. They should've clearly understood the enormous risk of a loss before committing money.

If S2 released XR on Steam with my updated graphics, we would get players...but more artwork is left to do atm. This week I put real particle effects on ent/fire shrines/spires. I've also upgraded many guns yet again.

Sav1 has things SavRez doesn't which make it appealing to younger players, such as the voice chat everyone used to spam and the bright colors. Dj's goat scav has a trademark face that adds to this scheme. Unlike SavRez growly demons, it is lovable~. And blood clan goat scav is so pwngoat, does anyone remember Rebirth's depression-suffering humans? Kids want excitement. You don't see depressed units in League of Legends. And compare Savage's hairless cat to Dragon Ball Super's. Beerus is a boss of bosses. That's what players want. Not lol-mech...or mecha-gorilla! If you look at the cover of the Alphabet of Manliness, a gorilla is getting hit with a right hook!! Gorillas in Savage should be punched in the face, not fighting as TRANSFORMERS WITH ROCKET LAUNCHERRRRRRRRRRS! S2 KNEW IT WAS GOING TO FAIL AND BOUGHT A MECHANICAL GORILLA COFFIN TO DIE IN! SavRez was an expensive mecha-gorilla!

But the appeal for the younger crowd is there. Getting their money is a matter of making this game pretty enough to enjoy every match, and the tech can always be fixed/balanced with mods.

http://imgur.com/a/08Dux
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: