Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 08:57:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189877 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18415 Members
Latest Member: afodfdfgdgre
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  Trackmania 20k project
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trackmania 20k project  (Read 2217 times)
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:36:38 am »

I've played trackmania before but I just stumbled upon this video. Wouldn't that be cool with Eden replays or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwxajbfzqbg

Telvek
Competition Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:13:33 pm »

Sure would be funny, but I dunno how it should work. I ask myself how they managed it with the server...oh and we need about 19500 players more  Tongue

Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »

If you read the stuff, it was not done on server.

Basically, he gathered replays (not videos, but demo recordings of sorts - actual data, route, speed etc) of 20000 different runs on that track.

Then modded his local game to play all the recording at once. Modding was required to actually be able to render 20k cars without the game crashing, the game already supported running multiple recordings at once, but originally he could only manage about 3k.

Savage equivalent would be to try and merge demorecordings of like 1000 games on, say, crossroads, into one big mean demo.
And, ideally, then play it on something like your local demo server so you could fly around as spec and make a video of it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:17:39 pm by Stringer » Logged

Be wise
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:36 pm »

Thinking about it now, the silverback engine executes collision checks when it replays demos. I think you would run into issues making a custom server demo with the actions of thousands of players in it. If you took the same camera shots of the same location during different games (and when no game is being played), it might be possible to graphically merge them in post-processing.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: