Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2019, 02:16:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189833 Posts in 10996 Topics by 18305 Members
Latest Member: ertre
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  Super Smash Bros Melee
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Melee  (Read 6191 times)
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »

I've been getting into Super Smash Bros Melee recently. You could say it's kind of a backup plan for a game to get really into when my access to good Savage servers deteriorates. Some things I like about the game:

• Ridiculously high skill ceiling
  • Really popular
  • Played competively in person, so no ping advantages/disadvages
  • Spacing, reaction time, and combo creativity
  • Anyone can walk in and sign up to play in tournaments with the world's best, unlike other esports.

It's also really exciting to watch. EU has some massive players upsetting US dominance. If you would like an introduction to the game, the Smash Brothers documentary is really great even though it doesn't cover the most recent developments in the scene:

biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:57 am »

I was especially impressed by their die-hard willingness to take an electron gun to the face!

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:01:10 pm »

competitive smash bros?.. man. I suppose so, but there is so many other choices out there man.  Afro

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14:42 am »

Fair point Shun. If you check out the documentary, you will see there are a lot of reasons to play Melee over other fighting games, and other esports in general. Comparing with other fighting games, combos are emergent from players' creativity rather than hardcoded by the developers. Also, there are no esports with serious Western viewership as old as Melee that I can think of.

Bigger: I have an electron gun pointing at my face every time I play Savage! (for the same reason).

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:33:03 am »

I played the original SSB on 64 but missed the entire gamecube generation. Thankfully however I studied with a friend who was up on the SSB melee scene and queued me in. We were both studying game design at the time and watching the live Evo finals (on stream) when all that Nintendo censorship drama unfolded and Mango won, it was a pretty amazing time. Those documentaries are great for filling in the back ground that I was ignorant of so cheers !

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:55:28 am »

Hi Ane,
  You might be interested in watching Australia's BAM7 in May. They are inviting some pros from abroad:

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:55:29 am »

Hi Ane,
  You might be interested in watching Australia's BAM7 in May. They are inviting some pros from abroad:

Cool man, thanks for the heads up, only I will be in Cambodia then Tongue

shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:24 am »

I was in a similar boat as Ane, as I never got past Smash Bros. after N64.. mind you, I was hooked on local competitive play with 007/Smash Bros. on the 64 at the time.. but I went PS2 instead of GameCube.

I watched half of the video.. dated, but informational. I was surprised to research and find 2 versions of Smash Bros. at Evo.. alongside some iconic competitive console games. That's pretty cool.. I'm not dogging, but it was unexpected to see that level of competitive play on a simple Nintendo game.

I got pretty competitive in Naruto games upon release of Ninja Storm and thereafter.. but that's another 'cult' style game.. not on the level of those at Evo, but still. I understand now. Cheesy

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:18:50 am »

I was in a similar boat as Ane, as I never got past Smash Bros. after N64.. mind you, I was hooked on local competitive play with 007/Smash Bros. on the 64 at the time.. but I went PS2 instead of GameCube.

I watched half of the video.. dated, but informational. I was surprised to research and find 2 versions of Smash Bros. at Evo.. alongside some iconic competitive console games. That's pretty cool.. I'm not dogging, but it was unexpected to see that level of competitive play on a simple Nintendo game.

I got pretty competitive in Naruto games upon release of Ninja Storm and thereafter.. but that's another 'cult' style game.. not on the level of those at Evo, but still. I understand now. Cheesy

Just to put it in perspective SHuN the smash bro melee finals that they show in that documentary had more concurrent streamers watching it than both the MVC3 and SS4 which were supposed to be the main events of the tournament (I don't recall the figures but it was hundreds of thousands). Pretty amazing for such an old game that as discussed in the doco, wasn't even supposed to be a competitive game.

shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 12:55:02 am »

Well.. tbh, I think a fair 10-12% of viewers are probably those that thought the same thing I did at first glance.. "..wait, Smash bros? wtf"

Then.. A small percentage of viewers or in another boat I sometimes fall into.. Nostalgia. "SMASH BROS? OMGEE, GOTTA CHECK THIS SHIT OUT!"

Let's face it (at least in the US), Nintendo and some of its characters hold a dear place to a lot of gamers' hearts.
Still, It's almost surreal to believe what you're saying. Kudos, and I hope it continues.  Afro

Zackorrigan
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:54:47 am »

imo smash bross on n64 is better. smash bross melee is too mainstraim. On n64 you jump lower so it's more ground fight. And btw if you like smash bross melee, you should try the first naruto fighting games(the 2D one).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: