Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 12, 2021, 10:25:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190083 Posts in 11010 Topics by 18595 Members
Latest Member: Windwalker1218
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  SavageLive
| | |-+  Gameplay
| | | |-+  Melee
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Melee  (Read 31189 times)
BrownAle
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:58 pm »

I read that the meele will  follow the same concept like Savage XR (block leap system) which is good so far. But how about adding a few alterations of hits like those in Savage 2? I know Savage 2 meele sucked in general but it wasn't all bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Beror8kp1A

In particular I am thinking of adding the power- and jump attack to SL just like they were implemented in Savage 2 (maybe without the push back after the jump attack). It could make meele more interesting without making it much harder to learn than it is already. You could introduce yourself into a skirmish with a nice well placed jump attack or, as a demo runner, finish a building with a final power attack.

The only problem I see so far is with Predators: If you do the "bounce after leap" move in a fight (as I do it alot without thinking), you'll automatically jump attack aswell. That will slow you down and, if blocked, might be your end. But since mainly more experienced players do such moves, it'll not increase the difficulty of the game for "noobies" and'll only require "pros" to amend their fighting style a bit.

Wisely used it could facilitate a whole new generation of beast moves and make SL more interesting for those who quit Savage because of the monotony of its meele system.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:50:58 pm by Ale » Logged
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:26:38 am »

I think Robin read this post because in his vids he says "Meele" (pronouncing it meal) and it makes me laugh. I think what you mean is "melee", which is pronounced meh-lay.

I understood your post and watched the Sav 2 vid but I still have a hard time thinking of a melee system other than Sav 1's. I think players tend to agree that the strength of this melee system is in its simplicity. If you change bouncing by incorporating an attack on every bounce, you add a mechanic to movement that isn't motion, and that's kind of weird.

I believe that Savage benefits from the independence between attacks and movements. They can both be timed to the players preference, leading to very variant styles between players. Occasionally I see an ensemble of attack/movement timings that I've never seen before, and that's pretty cool.

To put it another way: keeping movement and attacks completely independent gives more freedom to the player imo.

Crashday
XR Coder

soundcloud.com/bernhardfritz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »

savage 1 + strafe jump  would be so awesome Cheesy

Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

savage 1 + strafe jump  would be so awesome Cheesy

Yeah! Would be hard for melee beasts to catch up the quake players in our community though.  Grin
BrownAle
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:49:14 pm »

I think Robin read this post because in his vids he says "Meele" (pronouncing it meal) and it makes me laugh. I think what you mean is "melee", which is pronounced meh-lay.

No I'm definitally talkin bout meele.

I believe that Savage benefits from the independence between attacks and movements. They can both be timed to the players preference, leading to very variant styles between players. Occasionally I see an ensemble of attack/movement timings that I've never seen before, and that's pretty cool.

Disageed. I belive the awesomenes of the Savage melee system is founded on its asymmetry and (partially agreeing with you there) on its simplicity. Now beeing able to alter your attacks by movement without beeing forced to press alot of different buttons wouldn't decrease the simplicity of the melee system too much. Beeing able to fight in the core system (as it is today) should remain sufficient to make a good performance on the battlefield. The modifications I suggested (and there could be even more such as a sprint attack or something) should be seen more like gimmicks for those who want to push the limits of imagination once again by inventing a whole set of new innovative moves and increase their efficiency to the absolute maximum. However it should not overpower those who manage to control the new movements, but make them slightly more successful.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:53:09 pm by Ale » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:13:56 pm »

The melee is incredibly similar to S1's. We tweaked it with Shagroth. That should count for something Wink.

I got a 2 months old baby which practically incapacitated me for the past few months, but the duel mode is in an incredibly advanced stage, and should be quite possible to release soone after i get back to work.

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:23:49 am »

If an SL developper or Shag made a blog post about the melee tweaks I would be very interested. There is no such thing as a mundane adjustment to Savage's melee Grin

Edit: don't take this as a request necessarily, as your baby should take precedence over blog posts that satisfy a few curiosities.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:28:00 am by jazzking » Logged

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:44:46 am »

We will, as soon as it's in a more or less definitive shape.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: