Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 26, 2020, 11:15:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189914 Posts in 10984 Topics by 18446 Members
Latest Member: el12ro
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Savage XR Videos
| | |-+  Which Legionnaire's combo does highest DPS?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Legionnaire's combo does highest DPS?  (Read 4305 times)
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »

Had an argument on this matter. I was pretty sure 3-hit combo would win.

See how it is!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:03:56 pm by Nanaa » Logged
Misch
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:06:47 am »

I was wondering about this myself, however I never gave enough fuqs to actually test it Cheesy Thank you for this  Afro
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:28:58 pm »

That seems odd. The fact that not everyone knows that.

Gridfon
Righteous Scarecrow
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »

Yeah, that's so 2007-ish for eoN. Wink I remember eoN-s teaching that to Frogs on a shared practice, not just about nomads.
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

That seems odd. The fact that not everyone knows that.

Well clans tend to have their own private strategy guides on their own private forums. Not sharing every bit of information publicly obviously gives an edge at clans wars.

Also the difference between these combos is so miniscule that one does not simply test it in-game by theirselves.

Summarising:
2-hit combo has a slightly faster attack rate in theory.
In practise, 3-hit combo is just as fast and much more reliable since it doesn't require perfect timing and duration of blocks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:35:33 pm by Nanaa » Logged
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:23 pm »

I sort of expected that players kept dueling knowledge to themselves/clans but I didn't realize this is a probably a CW thing too. I can't be the only one who is bothered by the "someone knows important things I don't" feeling.

Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »

Important things cease to be important when you share them with everyone

Be wise
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:34:40 pm »

like... hax :-]

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 06:39:18 pm »

Important things cease to be important when you share them with everyone

Really? Newton's laws? Einstein's theory of relativity? I understand the motivation to keep things a secret, I'm not really blaming those who do I'm just saying "sucks for me and I wish it wasn't a thing". The other thing is that it's less satisfying to post insights when you suspect there are already players out there who know what you posting but didn't want to say so.

Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »

Theory of relativity doesn't really provide a competitive advantage in the game of savage, in other words, it's utterly useless :p

Anyway, my comment was only 1/4 serious. The other parts were 1/4 joke, 1/4 trolling and 1/4 probing to see who would react and how.

As for the topic, back in time I did a similar test - used a stopwatch to measure how long would it take to perform 30 swings.

The difference was below 0.5 seconds over those 30 swings, so my general conclusion would be that in any real situation, when your blocking timing will be at least a bit off, just keeping the autoattack button pressed will yield higher DPS.

The other thing to consider though, is that 3-swing pattern leaves your lego vulnerable, as in, unable to block for extended period of time, which you might not want if you are hitting an enemy building. Thing is, usually if there are enemy buildings, there are also enemy units.

On a side note, have you considered that there could be people who, while getting satisfaction by discovering things, do not get any of that satisfaction from sharing the information?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:55:02 pm by Stringer » Logged

Be wise
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »

To me, personally, having to keep most things secret from most everyone during Mafia games, is torture! Smiley

That said, did you sign up yet, Stringer?

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 09:02:05 pm »

On a side note, have you considered that there could be people who, while getting satisfaction by discovering things, do not get any of that satisfaction from sharing the information?

You make a good point. I think it's OK to want to share things though. Writers have the expectation that some one out there will read what they write, artists dont just make art for themselves. Call it vanity but it's pretty natural.

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:39:40 am »

Necro master blaster coming at you from the past.

Ok sorry for reviving such an old thread but I rarely read these forums anymore so I am making up for lost time.

1. In response to the OP's point. If for no other reason, using the two swing block technique on buildings is a great opportunity to work on getting your timing right. Hence I would always (ignoring all other arguments such as greater defensive capabilities as Stringer has already succinctly summed them up) recommend using the two swing block technique over the straight three swing approach.

2. @ The conversation regarding the parting or reticence of information. I think more to the point, discovering information has a direct reward, so players are encouraged to seek information, parting with information however is more likely to yield at best a cost in the form of labour of time and at worse a handicap (in the form of a levelling of the playing field) so peoples natural inclination is to not bother.
To me however the scariest scenario is too much information (or disinformation) drowning out legitimate knowledge. Take for example this silly notion that Daemon keeps tossing around like a...well like an immob. He purports that immobs are a highly effective; that they are an under rated item at the disposal of humans but they get poorly utilised from unfeeling and uncaring commanders and players alike. It seems like he is treating the community to a great piece of wisdom, but wiser heads know the truth. It is but a simple misdirection, immobs are silly items, the tools of children and simple folk, some might even called them sissy armed girls. Real men and women, the truly top pros laugh at that sort of silliness and load out with nothing at all, having to scroll through items just gets in the way of killing shit, especially when you've got your two swing block pattern down tight, then no sissy throwing immob noob is going to out shine you on the battle field, mark my words ladies and gentlemen, disinformation will be the ruin of the mighty legion!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: