I just got an idea while brainstorming concepts for a RTS game.
In savage, sometimes games are stale and hard to win. Here's an idea which gives commander a hugely rewarding but also potentially dangeorus tool to get their team to push harder. TLDR
for ur lazy asses:
It's quite simple : The commander of both teams can enable a temporary state which negatively/postively affects their own main-base, and while active - providing faster/slower respawn for their own team. It can be used in defensive contexts, aswell as offensive contexts. Optional effects (subject to discussion), instead affecting respawn time can be other options, such as increased/decreased gold income, increased/decreased buff pool generation, more/less effective mining etc. Behold, the great wall of explanatory texts:
Since the base systems for both teams are assyemtrical, we need two asymetrical systems. Both commanders can toogle this state for their sh/lair. For humans:
1. Healing Stronghold with 0,5 % of max HP per time unit (a time unit could be every 5th second for example)
2. Neutral (no healing to stronghold- default state)
3. Decaying (decaying the hp with 0,5 % of max possible HP per y seconds), basically reverse healing. The damage bypasses shielding.For beasts:
1. Damage mitigation - 25 % of damage directly to lair is evenly shared to all buildings nearby the lair. The less buildings, the more damage to each building. If no other buildings are nearby, the damage is just reduced by 15 % on the lair. And yes, this can kill tech structures.
2. Neutral (no damage mitigation from lair- default state)
3. Damage Centralization - All damage beast structures take (mapwise) are dealth to lair aswell. Turned off automatically once lair HP reaches 30 % of it's max size. Some constraints: For humans:
- SH cannot go below 20 % hp when decaying, and the state is changed to neutral once it reaches 20 %.
- The healing also automatically stop once the SH reaches 100 %, and state is changed to neutral.For beasts:
Damage mitigation for beast lasts 2 minutes, but can be turned of sooner.
- Damage Centralization stop once lair reaches 30 % hp, and is switched to neutral state automatically then.
For both races:
- Neutral is default state.
- Once a swap to neutral happends, it cannot go back to the former state the next 5 minutes ( a 5 minute cooldown)
- Both races start with 5 minute cooldown on both their non-neutral states.Changes needed:UI changes:
- The swapping of the state could to be either inside their respective home biuldings (lair/sh) or in the UI on top menu, next to taxation etc. for the commander.
- If quicker/slower respawn are enabled, it shows up a tiny icon next to the spawn button in the loadout menu for players.
- The voice message "our lair/stronghold is under attack" + ping on map would need to be modified to check if decay/damage centralization) is enabled for both races.
- Passive healing for structures needs to be disabled and removed, or atleast for the SH ( I believe shielded buildings are healing really slow?)
======================================Now, what do these states do ?
They affect the respawn time
, a core mechanic to alter a team fighting capabilities, both in defensive and offensive contexts.
* Healing/damage mitigation --> 5 more seconds to respawn time for team while in effect. Considered the defensive option.
* Neutral --> no change in respawn time. Everything is as we know it today.
* Decaying/damage centralization --> 5 seconds less respawn time for team while in effect. Considered the offensive option.Discussion:
I believe respawn time might be a unpopular opinion , in particular with "increased" respawn time. Another aspect it could affect is gold income, such that the offensive option gives more gold income for example (gold is crucial to strong siege pushes), and less gold income with the defensive option. Buff pools is another option which can be affected - 50 % slower buff pool generation for example. Only your mind is the limit.
And finally, the most important part of this suggestion:
What are your thoughts?