Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 08, 2020, 10:10:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190014 Posts in 11005 Topics by 18524 Members
Latest Member: h1ppy
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  SavageLive
| | |-+  Mapping
| | | |-+  Bunker screenshots
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bunker screenshots  (Read 37612 times)
salty_dog
XR Mapper

When The Levee Breaks

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:27:48 am »

Hope to be finished with first draft in a weeks time.

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:26:36 am »

Nice progress Buddy!
Can you commit to SVN?
I'd like to have a walk through myself. 
 Afro

salty_dog
XR Mapper

When The Levee Breaks

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:39:13 am »

ok
 Smiley

If you need to get a hold of me or want any changes best way is through facebook. My skype is messed up.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:46:06 am by salty_dog » Logged
Nobody

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:15:50 am »

no offense, but imo from what ive seen the current savage looks better than savage live Undecided

going for top 10 healer Cheesy
salty_dog
XR Mapper

When The Levee Breaks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:19:08 am »

You have to remember that your looking at something under development. Savage has been completed and improved for years. This project has not been completed yet, and when it is finished no doubt it will go through a polishing stage.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:33:57 am »

Perhaps some comparative images would help Nobody remember why every new player says Savage looks like a 10 yo game Smiley. Although colorful and saturated, it can't handle many trees, which look inconsistent either way, textures are stretched and lacking detail, large empty areas with no vegetation or rocks, low poly amateur props with visible seams, no dynamic shadows and so on.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:16:28 am by Daemon » Logged

APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »

It's obvious why they would say it looks like a 10 year old game because it IS a 10 year old game. But even though it is, there are still people playing it to this day, not because how it looks but because of something I hope you know. One problem I have with old games remade with more modern graphics is visual clutter. I've spent several hours with CS 1.6 and when I tried the CS:GO beta I had problems with how many small and unecessary details were put in which made it hard seeing the important parts/enemies. Also something you'll have to consider with Savage Live. More stuff does not always equal better.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:11 pm »

Indeed, visual clutter is something to be feared. It's one of the reasons why i don't like Starcraft 2 compared to Starcraft 1, for instance. In these screenshots, both S1 and SL look more crowded than they really are.

The truth of the matter is that in order to keep players playing a game, it either has to be immensely successful, able to hide its age because of the great gameplay and/or a huge and loyal players base, or keep on pumping sequels and remakes and episodes so that it hooks the new players coming in all the time. XR has gone as far as it could in its current form, and it's commendable that it outlived great many fancier titles.

We really do not consider SL a new game, nor a sequel (although technically it would be a prequel Smiley ), and not a remake per se, but more like a way to democratize Savage, with all the needed gameplay refinement and fixes and the perks and inherent traits that up-to-date tech offers.

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »

It's great to have all those props, trees and textures included to the Unity development kit. So you can instantly show something to your fans in a very consistent look. Problem is going to be anything Savage specific (Units, Buildings, Weapons, Effects) as well as the HUD.

In terms of visual consistency between textures, models, effects and HUD as well as in making the visuals look detailed, but not cluttered (clear shapes and colors, very detailed textures - however with low contrast), I think dota 2 is one of the most beautifully crafted games.

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:18:42 am »

It's great to have all those props, trees and textures included to the Unity development kit. So you can instantly show something to your fans in a very consistent look. Problem is going to be anything Savage specific (Units, Buildings, Weapons, Effects) as well as the HUD.

In terms of visual consistency between textures, models, effects and HUD as well as in making the visuals look detailed, but not cluttered (clear shapes and colors, very detailed textures - however with low contrast), I think dota 2 is one of the most beautifully crafted games.

Dota 2 has possibly the worst HUD design I have ever seen in a modern title and is doubly unforgivable considering the caliber of Valves other contributions to the market. It is the very antithesis of uncluttered, streamlined design. It is horribly unwieldy, taking up far too much space while simultaneously failing to clearly communicate its function to the uninitiated or expert alike. This is not a criticism leveled at the game or the art style or any other facet, just the HUD.

Back on topic, cool to see the screenshots of your progress salty. As already noted it's a long way until final polishing stage but there is lots of promise none the less.

$hacaR
"The Mod Machine"
Newerth Donator

Warr!or 4 EVER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 06:54:14 pm »

i really live the SL screenshots. In my oppinion, these already look very impressive ! =)
im really looking forward to a beta/alpha whatever =)

ENvIouS

Fly with me...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:31 am »

Seeing how long XR took, and the difference between XR and SFE - SL will probably take awhile.

But the screens make it look like a new game - hell they make it look like Skyrim. And seeing a game that is only not as popular as it was because of it's graphics and age have a rebirth of sorts is super gratifying. And something I'm willing to be patient for.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 05:18:39 pm »

You would, cuz you're young. I want it now!  Smiley

salty_dog
XR Mapper

When The Levee Breaks

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 06:07:14 am »

Not done like I hoped. Can chalk it up to my over dependence on inspiration Sad . Fully textured now though. Not ready the give up . Sorry for making you wait Dae. Screens look great on my kindle though. Shocked
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:28:58 am by salty_dog » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:35:47 am »

Game ain't launched yet. I suspect having maps but no game does not help Smiley. So don't worry a bit, your work is much appreciated. And don't overthink it. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: