Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2019, 06:45:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189886 Posts in 10985 Topics by 18426 Members
Latest Member: fimpaljion
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  Map Purge, interest?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Map Purge, interest?  (Read 17391 times)
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 04:15:28 am »

Sorry for any offensive thing I may have said.. after a hiatus, it was just alarming.

All good in the hood

Btw..8+ years ago was just after Savage was released.. let alone when newerth.com took over.  Tongue

Not to play devils advocate but...

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,16980.0.html

Savage is over 10 years old, and 8 years ago s2games after releasing 2.0e washed their hands of savage for good. Newerth wasn't around in its current incarnation, but for all intents and purposes the Evo forums were the centre of SEP based Savagery while ex2 had its clansavage home until that died a few years later. So yeah, 8 years ago map makers were definitely beginning their craft, even if the time stamps on Newerth only date back until 2007.

-LioN-
Newerth Shoutcaster
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:54 am »

I respect where you are coming from, Ane. Also, I completely respect SB and do appreciate all his efforts (noticed Salty was helping also). I don't mind retracting my paragraph.. but I would rather just apologize for my venting.

Btw..8+ years ago was just after Savage was released.. let alone when newerth.com took over.  Tongue

Anyways, I may not have 40 maps out. I may not be a mapping guru. I have spent a bit of time mapping, but every single time it's a learning experience. With each, my knowledge and methods are usually increased.. but I still feel that even though they may not be perfect, I've been able to make them playable, and for the main part enjoyable.

My fret earlier was that it seems like 1 person or a small group of individuals may deem hundreds upon hundreds of maps unfit for play without a reason why. I did feel that SB was putting maps off line at an alarming rate, so I think that he was simply using the overhead as a means to his decision. Again, mad props to SB for taking the time.. but ironically, it was a bit hasty IMO.

Sorry for any offensive thing I may have said.. after a hiatus, it was just alarming.
Did you check the map lists and reasons to offline?
Each map has a good reason to be offlined.
The point is that the goal is to have every online map good.

Renegade
Newerth Referees (EU)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 04:20:32 pm »

I'm a big fan of ts_obstaclecourse_fixed and it's disappointing to see it is put offline. It's very unique map with its flag. Which is controlling both bases and giving an alternative way to win, could you please reconsider it?

shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 03:31:26 am »

sure.   Rolleyes  Afro

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
blackdeath

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 06:44:34 am »

Hello savages

This is just my opinion and this thread may be old, but I think removing a flagged map as 'bad' from online so that no server can use it is not the best approach. The 'purge' seems unnecessary as you can simply remove the rotations information so that they don't come from next map votes or after games end.

"This is just my understanding of why the purge was done"

I think all maps should be available with [world] votes (more maps the better) and maps on the roster should meet certain requirements.
The reason I felt the need to post this is that its no longer possible to connect via IP or host new servers publicly after some patch (at least afaik - I've tried everything, and had no problem in the past). So newerth onlined maps are the only avenue for testing new maps (with others).
Also where is the community polling of maps that are removed, as Id like to add my input on some maps I believe to be functional enough to stay online?

Thanks for your time.
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »

Fellow savage,
   As far as I can tell nearly everyone agrees that:

Buggy maps should go offline.
Bad maps should stay out of rotation, but stay voteable.
Good/fresh maps should go into rotation. The rotation has some flexibility, for example you could have a small, changing selection or every map deemed "good" or "new" stay and change it very little.

Discussions about servers overriding are just occluding this consensus.

Misch
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:09 am »

Fellow savage,
   As far as I can tell nearly everyone agrees that:

Buggy maps should go offline.
Bad maps should stay out of rotation, but stay voteable.
Good/fresh maps should go into rotation. The rotation has some flexibility, for example you could have a small, changing selection or every map deemed "good" or "new" stay and change it very little.

Discussions about servers overriding are just occluding this consensus.

Shall we define certain maps "bad" from whatever objective or subjective perspective, I can't see any reason to leave them online in the first place.

But of course, there is no such thing as good or a bad map (as I have learnt) - some people, regardless of their numbers, are always going to disagree with whatever is given to them, no matter how good, bad, new or old, complex or simple, innovative or SFE-ish.

Thus I say - let the community bathe in their own shit, also formally known as kinixx, puchi, minimax and similar, so to speak - bad maps
LazyFly

"Rebuild quick!" "But its so much effort..."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 09:16:34 am »

I'm with you Misch.
map makers often have a different opinion to what's good and what's not to average savage players, and with each other.

Some maps i think are ugly, and slack, and the server says they love them just because they always have. and it still shocks me how many new and great xr_ maps get skipped because people cant be bothered to learn new maps or some shit.

Haika
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »

do savage a favor and put puchi3t offline alongside with anvale.
These maps result in long games which kills the server  Afro

keavbe rest og the maos online
shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »

oddly enough, those same, plus a few, maps are the ones that build the US server up.  Afro

Nobody

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:36 am »

pls put normalizephysics up again

going for top 10 healer Cheesy
Gridfon
Righteous Scarecrow
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 06:54:05 am »

Not sure if that's related to this topic, but how did circleattack2_sep suddenly become "offline - old, redundant version"?
blackdeath

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 11:51:48 am »

Hello Savages

On the topic of deleted/offline maps, just wondering why one of my favourite maps and its derivatives are offline/deleted/in development or not available on a callmap basis on Groentjuhs or Leet servers, when I remember a simpler more pleasant time when all these maps were in use and quite popular?

http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&cid=1&action=search&name=6173757261&status=7f&overhead=7

Thanks for your time.
shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 11:53:01 pm »

Certain people, I do not know who, have taken it upon themselves to delete maps they may find unsuitable for play.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, IMO, as well as a map or two that they enjoy.

Maps like xr_asura show ONLINE status, but unannounced to the players, it is actually deleted from the UK box, rendering it unplayable.

blame!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »

Personally I'd like to see:

- More maps on the server map list. Unless a map is buggy, then I don't see why it shouldn't be online.

- Less duel maps on the server map list.

Super simple stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: