Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2019, 07:51:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189886 Posts in 10985 Topics by 18426 Members
Latest Member: fimpaljion
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  xr_quests2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: xr_quests2  (Read 14823 times)
Crashday
XR Coder

soundcloud.com/bernhardfritz

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »

Inspire me!

salty_dog
XR Mapper

When The Levee Breaks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:08:12 am »

you should check out tjens maps and congresses xr_skills. And this time only let officers control the objects, they cap flag team follows. It would cut out the chaos around the building areas.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:11:00 am by salty_dog » Logged
Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »

good point! any specific ideas about challenges? i though about adding boulders which have to be rolled into holes so people can walk over those holes. any more ideas?

eXZeth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »

maybe spiral stairways, and 2 checkpoints for each team.. like 2 flag so when you finish first half you don't have to re-do all of it

salty_dog
XR Mapper

When The Levee Breaks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »

maybe like time checkpoints too. So like 15min in, flag one becomes spawnable  if you haven't been able to get it yet, and so on until the second to last flag near the end. I like the boulder in holes idea too.  you could also use towers and spires to add a little danger to your challenges. Or make one of the challenges guarded by kongor.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:48:38 pm by salty_dog » Logged
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »

If crashday is still making this map:  Add more pathways for each team. Smaller & longer. Several pathways will make more people able to do some teamwork instead of fucking up with beeing 20 guys on one ladder.  Also - Make teleports more common. Spire is good. Dont make only officer able to lift props, its important that anyone can do it. Make pathways ungateable, and make it impossible to build buildings close to obstacles (building exploit, lots of it on xr_quests atm).

LazyFly

"Rebuild quick!" "But its so much effort..."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »

hey, just a few things i noticed about the first map. if you actually got chemical as humans, you could use the powerup to skip most of the challenges by hopping over them and bringing back a ladder for each of them.
im not sure how you could stop this, but its something to think about.

btw, if you wanna be inspired, ask djinghis to see his new xr map. you wont fail to be inspired by that. he's making a map from a game, im not sure which it is, but it reminds me of pinball.. it has cannons to fire boulders at the enemy and shit, but it required a lot of teamwork.

My little suggestion would be to make more like a minefield of challenges that spans width wise over the whole map, and are easier to solve. that way people aren't so cluttered, they can work in small teams, the enemies are coming from multiple directions, and it just puts the xr_ objects onto the game without making it the absolute focus.
just my thoughts.

cheers

Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »

thx for sharing your ideas guys! This gives me more than enough motivation to finally start working on this map  Cheesy

@eXZeth:
I will add spiral stairways and several checkpoints.

@salty_dog:
The pathway will contain several spawn flags which can be used as "save-points". They won't be activated automatically though. I think this time the pathway with objects is optional. It will be a map which can be played normally, but your team gains a huge advantage if they manage to make it through the pathway.

@Bullet:
- More pathways seem too be a good idea. This should make building stuff less chaotic.
- Picking up objects will not be limited to officers only. Everybody should be able to do it.
- Restricting areas from being built on would be pretty nice. Unfortunately I don't know how to accomplish such a result. Maybe some veteran map-makers can give me a tip Smiley

@LazyFly:
Humans should be allowed to use speed buff since beasts have the ability to leap. The challenges will be placed in specific pathways. A team can choose if they give it a try or not. The map can be played without having to build anything with objects, but if a team manages to make it through the challenges they gain a huge advantage.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »

- Restricting areas from being built on would be pretty nice. Unfortunately I don't know how to accomplish such a result. Maybe some veteran map-makers can give me a tip Smiley

On xr_quests its impossible to garr/sub/ gate in the pathways (dunno how u made it impossible) . In my opinion that is good. It's lame if T2 gate into T1 pathway, before T1 have reached that spot, if u know what i mean.

Also, on last part of xr_quests, u made "brdiges". Keep it that way, because hell it was annoying to get shot when you stand on the top, ready to jump for flag... and then get MMbow'ed.  Cheesy

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:12 pm »

Any news regarding this map ? Crashday?

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »

Bucp - Bring up crashday's page .

Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »

Sry mate, I started working on the map back then, f*ed up the layout and didn't want to start over again. If I'm in a good mood I'll try again during winter holidays Smiley

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 06:59:34 pm »

Btw crahsday, found this today about building placement  & why certain areas are not buildable:

"The Savage nav system serves two purposes. First, to guide the commanders' workers around the map, and second, to determine for the game what areas on the map are buildable and what areas aren't.
In the editor, go to the console and type "nav" then hit the Tab key. You'll get a lovely list of commands. The two you are going to need are "navrep_render" and "navrep_process". On a related note, using the Tab key while in the console is a godsend if you've never heard of doing that before. It brings up any possible commands that start with what you have entered thus far and is also somewhat of an auto-complete if there is only one option to finish what you are typing.
When you think you have your map all set and you want to check what areas are buildable, go to the console and type "navrep_render 0". The default is -1, and you have to set it to 0, not 1, to make this show. Then type "navrep_process" and the game will run through your map and place all the pathing lines that the AI workers can follow. You should see yellow and white lines running all over your map. If a spot is not pathable by the AI, (no lines) you can't place buildings there. It is also a good idea to check without your terrain textures showing, because it is easier to see if you flip back and forth. The 1-4 keys on your keyboard toggle the various layers of terrain texture. (Not the keypad number keys, but the ones above your letters) 1 and 2 toggle the first two texture layers individually, 3 turns both on, 4 turns both off" Souce: http://www.newerth.com/wiki/index.php?title=XR_Map_Navigation

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:29:21 am »

Btw crahsday, found this today about building placement  & why certain areas are not buildable:

"The Savage nav system serves two purposes. First, to guide the commanders' workers around the map, and second, to determine for the game what areas on the map are buildable and what areas aren't.
In the editor, go to the console and type "nav" then hit the Tab key. You'll get a lovely list of commands. The two you are going to need are "navrep_render" and "navrep_process". On a related note, using the Tab key while in the console is a godsend if you've never heard of doing that before. It brings up any possible commands that start with what you have entered thus far and is also somewhat of an auto-complete if there is only one option to finish what you are typing.
When you think you have your map all set and you want to check what areas are buildable, go to the console and type "navrep_render 0". The default is -1, and you have to set it to 0, not 1, to make this show. Then type "navrep_process" and the game will run through your map and place all the pathing lines that the AI workers can follow. You should see yellow and white lines running all over your map. If a spot is not pathable by the AI, (no lines) you can't place buildings there. It is also a good idea to check without your terrain textures showing, because it is easier to see if you flip back and forth. The 1-4 keys on your keyboard toggle the various layers of terrain texture. (Not the keypad number keys, but the ones above your letters) 1 and 2 toggle the first two texture layers individually, 3 turns both on, 4 turns both off" Souce: http://www.newerth.com/wiki/index.php?title=XR_Map_Navigation

Unfortunately the navrep_process function was broken at some point in the last couple of years by someone. As such it now only renders the once. What this means is that in order to use the function each and every time you wish to test the pathing you have to save a copy of your map, fully close down the editor and then reopen it and re-render the navigation points. Failure to do this will just display the initial render only (even if you load a different map, which is why you need to fully close the editor). This makes using navrep now a bullshit retardedly long process and really only a last ditch effort to debug pathing problems.

-LioN-
Newerth Shoutcaster
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »

Unfortunately the navrep_process function was broken at some point in the last couple of years by someone. As such it now only renders the once. What this means is that in order to use the function each and every time you wish to test the pathing you have to save a copy of your map, fully close down the editor and then reopen it and re-render the navigation points. Failure to do this will just display the initial render only (even if you load a different map, which is why you need to fully close the editor). This makes using navrep now a bullshit retardedly long process and really only a last ditch effort to debug pathing problems.
I just open the map in Savage rather than the editor Cheesy (?)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: