Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2021, 11:38:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190122 Posts in 11015 Topics by 18626 Members
Latest Member: RabbitWhite
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Competition: XR Practice Duel Map
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Competition: XR Practice Duel Map  (Read 19369 times)
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:04:20 am »

Update 5 July 2013, competition is finished, winner map entry by salty_dog:

Hello folks!

As some of you might already know, the Savage XR Tutorial section was planed to be extended by a practice mode. While Clemens has been improving the bot code a lot recently, we now need a duel map with 5 arenas where newbies can practice against those bots. Depending on what team you are, either Human or Beast opponents will spawn in these 5 areas. To make it easier for beginners to access these areas, they will spawn automatically in a special area as soon as they load the map from where they can choose race and difficulty level (arena) via teleporters.

Important for the mapmakers:
1. The practice duel map needs to be at least 64x64 in size and also using xr props and textures.
2. All 5 arenas have to be crafted beautifully based on a different theme each (snow, grass, sand, different props, trees, effects, nature/city theme etc - Though since it is probably not possible to change sky/weather/object/map lightening with triggers the themes wouldn't differ too much from each other.)
3. Each Arena stands for a different difficulty level (feel free to use colors, textures or objects appropriately to symbolize these difficulty levels)
4. The 6. smaller area for the Race/Difficulty selection should use the same color concept and provide spots for the teleporter placement (doors for instance).

I'll give you an example how you could design the map (don't make the arenas perfectly round though):

Deadline: Sunday, June 16 2013. (in 2 weeks)
The winner will receive a letter from me with 50 Euro cash.

Cheers,
Tirza
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:20:03 am by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Zyxoma
Newerth Shoutcaster

Orange EyE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »

Nice idea, but think 2 weeks is a short time for people to make such a good looking map.
There is also not many people that know how to make maps using triggers and other XR features.

As for myself I know the basics and would like to help with it. But I dont have enough time in 2 weeks I think.

Do the bots have any restrictions on the map design? Like can they walk over ladders and on a "tree" ladder. Do the bots need a spawn flag or another place to be spawned? Or is this purely physical and will the triggers be added later on?
shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »

Triggers wouldn't be needed (stated) .. So teleporting, adrenaline, bouncepads, etc.. wouldn't make any difference. Although, Tirz specifically mentioned teleports into locations.. I believe giving the player a choice of route into each area would be most efficient. So, placing teleports and/or jump-pads to show triggers, but also having classic entrances such as terrain deformation, ladders, bridges. Having the ability to spawn from a flag renders 'choice' useless. I do agree that spawning in the middle, and choosing your route from stated battlefields adds to the overall effect.

Ambience of weather/sky (IMO) is for the entire map, so I don't think you can pinpoint a specific location for these aesthetics.. Although well-placed textures and paint can set the overall ambience regardless.

Definitely a deadline, but if they gave a long length of time.. there would be no reason for a reward like $$$.  Afro

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »

Tirza sent me a PM with questions; I'll quote it here for simplicity's sake.
Are the following things possible?:
1. letting the bots spawn as either Humans or Beasts depending on what race you are
2. changing the map lightening with triggers
3. race switch with a trigger

Also: do bots need a garrison and/or sublair to spawn, or is a spawnflag enough - or is neither of it necessary?
1. Yes, a trigger is capable of handling that. It is also capable of handling how many spawn and what "difficulty level" they shall be. (Bot commands and cvars.)
2. I do not know of any scripts that affect map settings.
3. Yes. You can use admin commands or bot commands via !exec.
4. If auto-spawn is enabled, they spawn automatically at the spawn point closest to their current goal (be wary of their default goal and any goal you give them). This counts for all kinds of spawn points; SH/Lair, Garrison/Sub-Lair and Flags. If auto-spawn is disabled, you can manually (via a script/trigger) have them spawn at any specific spawn point of your choosing.

Chances are I won't be checking back; so if you wish for any further inquires, please do resort to PM.

Do the bots have any restrictions on the map design? Like can they walk over ladders and on a "tree" ladder.
Bots are essentially virtual players controlled by AI. They can do everything a human player can - this includes traversing terrain. I don't think anyone has tested bot behavior and pathing on advanced obstacles, though.
Although, Tirz specifically mentioned teleports into locations.. I believe giving the player a choice of route into each area would be most efficient.
Be aware that regardless what option you choose, there needs to be definitive areas for triggers to do their magic for each bot/duel.

PS:
While Clemens has been improving the bot code a lot recently
I couldn't help but smile at "recently".
I completed the duel bots like half a year ago. Grin
Necrofears

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:10:17 am »

getting a map together without triggers shouldn't take too long, but I do have one question

what kind of "practices" would this entail? blocking, dodging, leaping, shooting, obstacle course, king of the hill, flag cap, etc etc.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:01:10 am »

Duels vs a bot partner. But it has to look really appealing, with extra care on picking the best looking trees and props.

LazyFly

"Rebuild quick!" "But its so much effort..."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

dam cause mines a bit of a throw together. :O
ill have to put more care into prop placement  Grin

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 03:23:23 am »

Hello  Afro I sent you a PM, Tirza. Since I cannot attach files in the PM, I have to post it in this thread.

-->> Check my new post below, updated map.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:20:42 pm by SavageBeard » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

It's pretty damn good, SavageBeard! And the selection zone idea is awesome. Good Job! I can't wait to see it finished Smiley.

APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:42:22 am »

Agree with Daemon, that selection zone is friggin great and looks cool too. The duel zones also looked pretty good  Afro

Legendaryy Rice
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:21:49 pm »

Forcing map devs to use that will detract from overall quality. For instance, I will never use the lava duel arena, so why waste map space. To fit that many the map will need to be huge.

Cool comp though, I would be so down if someone made a ranged area for coil and temp practice. Always wanted that.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »

I don't think lava in particular is a do-or-die environment. But there has to be 5 of them anyway.

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 08:23:41 pm »

Thank you, guys  Afro

I could not help to make some cosmetic changes and new effects, as well as add some blockers. I have an issue with the props, though, some of them causes the map to crash/not load. For example, if I place a prop anywhere at the right side of the beach out in the ocean (where the blockers end), the map will not load. If I placed a lot of log cabins in the snow area, the map would crash. Very weird. Maybe some illegal terrain/prop interaction? I do not know, but it's for sure annoying.

Attached here is the final version (hopefully).

** Edit **

I fixed a lot of places where you could get stuck in the lava area. New version attached to this post.

* xr_tutorialduels5.s2z (405.16 KB - downloaded 175 times.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:43:25 am by SavageBeard » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:41 pm »

This is a new one, must be something wrong with your map.

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »

This is a new one, must be something wrong with your map.

You mean in regards to the bug I described, or is something wrong with the new map download?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: