Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 06:56:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189880 Posts in 10982 Topics by 18419 Members
Latest Member: cimaolonas
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Newerth Hosted Competitions
| |-+  Newerth Duel Competition (NDC)
| | |-+  Season Five
| | | |-+  Summary and feedback
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summary and feedback  (Read 15041 times)
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:20:26 am »

After 4 hours of some intense, nerve racking duels...
...We have a new champion for the HvB, congratulations Shagroth for dethroning Bobbe in a final that went into two extra rounds!

Supreme Champion:    Shagroth
Worthy Adversary:       Bobbe
Maybe Next Time:        Ultima
4th place:                    Sharku

Meanwhile Blade successfully defended his HvH crown, congratulations!

Supreme Champion:    Blade
Worthy Adversary:       Bobbe
Maybe Next Time:        Riddick
4th place:                    Sharku

Unfortunately only 5 people showed up for the US tourney showed up, so it was cancelled.

A special thanks to:
Groentjuh for managing the servers at short notice, sorting out teamspeak and providing a stream on twitch.tv.
Tirza for setting up the shout-casting equipment and for piecing together a youtube video which is come later.
A big thank you for Rj, Haika, UnSaFe and MarchRisker for lending their voices for the shoutcast at a short notice.
Clemens for managing the HvH while I was called away and using good judgement to keep it going.
Dervun for being the dispute admin and making the groups.
And for everyone of the 68 who signed up and participated in the finals or group stages.

Please deliver any constructive feedback below or praise:
Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:02:51 pm »

Next time do HvH and US finals on another date. The HvB finals took 4 hours, which is reallllllllllyyyyyyy long!

Next time I will look into better preparation of the stream. Possibly something I will try to pick up with Tirza.

The chat was pretty busy, possibly something can be done for that. (Posssibly look into Duel Melee Comp system settings and use that to route chat all to spec chat)

Possibly prepare media stuff better. Stream was a last second thing; Multi-shoutcast in TS was a last minute thing. I think next time we should prepare it this way!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:07:48 pm by Groentjuh » Logged

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »

It was a fine competition as the previous ones.

Here is my critique:
The forfeit rule is a bit weird.
I noticed too late, so I didn't object mid-tournament.
Giving the forfeit -40 is fine, but I don't think the winner should ever get +40.
Even Zack himself is a bit confused that he moved on as 2nd with his only 2 matches having been losses.

We need more shoutcasters/streamers so that the earlier rounds can be played simultaneously, probably.
As much as I enjoy watching them one by one, 4 hours is a bit too long.
(Though, this isn't exactly your responsibility.)

Perhaps some rule against clear laggers should be put in place.
It looks bad on stream, it looks bad in-game, it looks bad on youtube and no one enjoys fighting them.
(Yes, this includes me, too, as I am often a lagger.)
Some possible suggestions:
Forbid them from participating.
Allow them to participate in the group stage, but not in the final stage.

Mute specs like Scorch and Mein. Rolleyes
BrownAle
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:43:05 pm »

Giving the forfeit -40 is fine, but I don't think the winner should ever get +40.
Even Zack himself is a bit confused that he moved on as 2nd with his only 2 matches having been losses.

We need more shoutcasters/streamers so that the earlier rounds can be played simultaneously, probably.

It looks bad on stream, it looks bad in-game, it looks bad on youtube and no one enjoys fighting them.

Point 1: Agreed

Point 2: Is it really necessary to play 40 matches HvsH? There's no swapping units, hence 20 should be enough. Also organize shoutcasters earlier and not on the same day in the shoutbox?

Point 3: Laggers are usally not voluntarily lagging. It's often a matter of resources they can not provide. Therefore I disagree with the suggestion to ban them from the competition because I think it's unfair for those who can't change it. They might not look pretty when the play but they are part of the game and can be handled. Now I havn't seen the match Ultima vs Polako yesterday but in my opinion you're a noob if you can't kill a lagger Rolleyes.

Point 4: Mute everybody except the currently playing participants and maybe one or two referees.
Zyxoma
Newerth Shoutcaster

Orange EyE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »

Point 1: Agreed

Point 2: Is it really necessary to play 40 matches HvsH? There's no swapping units, hence 20 should be enough. Also organize shoutcasters earlier and not on the same day in the shoutbox?

Point 3: Laggers are usally not voluntarily lagging. It's often a matter of resources they can not provide. Therefore I disagree with the suggestion to ban them from the competition because I think it's unfair for those who can't change it. They might not look pretty when the play but they are part of the game and can be handled. Now I havn't seen the match Ultima vs Polako yesterday but in my opinion you're a noob if you can't kill a lagger Rolleyes.

Point 4: Mute everybody except the currently playing participants and maybe one or two referees.

There is lag; and there is warping like polako did. Playing vs someone that is standing in front of you on 1 moment and suddenly you got 2 hits on you without even seeing it is a whole different lvl then normal lag.
Normal lag is "ok" and you can anticipate on that, but warping is just a pain for the eye.

For the rest it's nice, but indeed a bit long.

In a next duel competition we can do like a pre-finals (2 sunday's of small tournaments) where like 8 people come out to face each other in the finals. Perhaps you can also exlcude the top 4 of the previous duel comp from the semi's and they go straight to the finals (so the majority doesnt feel like getting raped in early stage  Grin). With concentrating all duels on like 3 dates. You have less risk on no-show's or midd competition quiters. And brings everyone more together which makes it more fun imo.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »

I don't know why you quoted me and talked about HvH, Ale. :p
It took 3:30 hours for the HvB part, which is what I was talking about. Smiley
The HvH wasn't shoutcasted and their duels were done simultaneously (instead of 1 by 1 as with HvB).

I agree that 40 duels for HvH is very long and equally boring.
That's probably why most HvH duels stopped at 21.
Albeit, "best of 40" instead of "40 total" makes more sense.
Reducing it to 30 or even 20 is also an option.
BrownAle
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »

Because I misread Groents previous post.

I like the prefinal idea but I think it would increase the number of mid-comp-quiters since there would be more dates people might not be able to show up. Another suggestion: Record the duels and shoutcast them one by one afterwards (or maybe just the finals) so you can duel simultaneously. Would be more work for the shoutcast team...
Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:55:23 pm »

Another suggestion: Record the duels and shoutcast them one by one afterwards (or maybe just the finals) so you can duel simultaneously. Would be more work for the shoutcast team...
There are no serverside demos for duel servers, so doing the work afterwards is next to impossible. At a certain point we had 62 spectators on the duel comp server. This tells me that people really wanted see this. Your suggestion will mean a LOT more preparation is needed especially for streaming to happen.

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:53:04 am »

Let's start talking about NDC6. Any chance we can do it in april/may? My interest is in participating while I'm still at uni, with decent UK ping. I'm willing to organize it myself actually.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 02:00:47 pm »

I'm willing to organize it myself actually.

Afro  Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: