Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2020, 04:29:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189913 Posts in 10984 Topics by 18446 Members
Latest Member: el12ro
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Support Forum
| | |-+  Linux Ubuntu 11.10 installation problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Linux Ubuntu 11.10 installation problem  (Read 2612 times)
anubarak

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:45:10 am »

hey everyone

the first thing iīd like to say is: iīm from German so please try to understand that my English is not very well, i hope you can understand everything what i write ^^

i downloaded the game here http://www.newerth.com/?id=downloads&op=displayDownload&category=1&file=xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin and tried to install the game with the help of this tutorial http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,259.0.html, actually I just use Linux since 3 or 4 weeks so I donīt know very much about it...
Well this is the point were my problems began
2. Make sure you have execute permissions set on the installer for your current user before trying to install the game. Start the installer with ./xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin and follow the on screen installation instructions.

i installed and wrote this in my terminal
Code:
anubarak@anubarak-Lenovo-V570:~$ sudo /home/anubarak/Downloads/xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin
but every time this appears
sudo: /home/anubarak/Downloads/xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin: command not found
I checked it more then 3 times the location of the document is the right one so I have no idea what I did wrong

please.. can you tell me what I have to do to install and run the game?
thanks for your help  Afro I hope my English is good enough that you need not to laugh
Irwin1138

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:38:54 am »

I'm not that much of a linux guru, but first I would navigate to the folder where you have the file downloaded:
Code:
cd /home/anubarak/Downloads/
then give execute permissions to the installer:
Code:
chmod +x xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin
and finally execute the installer:
Code:
./xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin

If anything complains about admin permissions (which are not the same as execute permissions) I'd just retry the same command with sudo. Or, to feel even geekier, with this:
Code:
sudo !!
which by default executes the last command with sudo.

I hope that will make it install =)
anubarak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:53:44 am »

then give execute permissions to the installer:
Code:
chmod +x xr_setup-1.0rc3-cl_lin_prod.bin
ahh thank you very much, I forgot to give permissions.. maybe someone could add this for other newbies like me in the tutorial
now I installed the game but unfortunately there is just a completely white screen with a little text in the left corner and afters waiting few seconds I just can see this 

when I donīt start the game with the terminal it donīt even start there starts just the updater and after that nothing happens

I really hope someone can help me this time too - thanks for your time
happy
Oschore Breeder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:03 pm »

Try
Code:
setsave vid_compressTextures 0
in game/startup.cfg

Code:
chown -R YOUR_UBUNTU_USERNAME YOUR_SAVAGE_FOLDER
should let you start savage normally.
VaultDweller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:31:52 pm »

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,12801.0.html might help with white screen too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: