Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2021, 12:30:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190128 Posts in 11016 Topics by 18631 Members
Latest Member: pesecarte
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Main Page News
| | |-+  XR New Map Contest
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XR New Map Contest  (Read 74418 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

Hey Riddick!

I noticed a few things you need to fix in your map.
- Decals (especially around the castle) are WAY too far away from the walls/surfaces they're supposed to be on. You need to place them as tight and close as possible. (http://www.save.ro/shot/shot_2012_01_01_19_12_41.jpg). They're also improperly scaled (larger than the surface they're on, like the claw marks on the throne).
- The big lego dungeon passage you used in the middle has dark sides. Try and find another one that has similarly lit outside faces. (http://www.save.ro/shot/shot_2012_01_01_19_16_21.jpg).
- The teleport pads are suspended high up in mid-air. Did you intend for them to send you up there?
- Some props (like the stone_fence) are way too enlarged, making their textures look ugly and stretched.
- Weird props scaling Smiley. A giant cactus next to a tiny aztec pyramid (smaller than the huts it's placed among)
- The south-west waterfall has unblended colors and textures.
- Prop themes are mixed and mangled and they look like aliens stole them from different places and shoved them all together on some random planet Smiley. Snow boulders in the middle of green fields and palm trees; Aztec buildings next to log cottages Tongue; a huge snow pine growing out of a house; about 6 different types of huts, houses and cottages in a single 'village' encampment (and most larger than the Stronghold!) etc.

I'm sure there are more but these are a good place to start.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:44:11 pm by Daemon » Logged

Riddick

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:47 pm »

- The big lego dungeon passage you used in the middle has dark sides. Try and find another one that has similarly lit outside faces. (http://www.save.ro/shot/shot_2012_01_01_19_16_21.jpg).
Why are those dark sides so bad ? I didnt thought that this would be a problem, but i will try to fix it.

- The teleport pads are suspended high up in mid-air. Did you intend for them to send you up there?

Well, i intended it as a little fun, if a enemy is hunting you, and you use it, he would be a bit confused Tongue

- Some props (like the stone_fence) are way too enlarged, making their textures look ugly and stretched.

Well, i will change it Sad

- Weird props scaling Smiley. A giant cactus next to a tiny aztec pyramid (smaller than the huts it's placed among)

Is this really a problem :O ? I thought it would be sth. new and not only the normal size of the stuff you see at evry map, but kay, i hope i can change it effectiv.

- The south-west waterfall has unblended colors and textures.

Damn, will change it

- Prop themes are mixed and mangled and they look like aliens stole them from different places and shoved them all together on some random planet Smiley. Snow boulders in the middle of green fields and palm trees; Aztec buildings next to log cottages Tongue; a huge snow pine growing out of a house; about 6 different types of huts, houses and cottages in a single 'village' encampment (and most larger than the Stronghold!) etc.

Well, i thought its a bit multivillages, but it this is a problem, i look to fix it.
My idea was, to mix allways 2 typs of villages together, to get a multinational village ...

Pls read the red stuff Wink Thx.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2012, 08:40:03 pm »

Well, i thought its a bit multivillages, but it this is a problem, i look to fix it.
My idea was, to mix allways 2 typs of villages together, to get a multinational village ...

You got arabic desert houses, green mossy aztec temples, log cottages, medieval stone houses, plaster and straw huts, and those old SFE huts so it's not REALLY 2 types Smiley. More like 6. Everything there is.

Why are those dark sides so bad ? I didnt thought that this would be a problem, but i will try to fix it.

Well, i intended it as a little fun, if a enemy is hunting you, and you use it, he would be a bit confused Tongue

The dark sides are bad because they're outside, where you got sunlight. If they were in a dungeon, dark is good Smiley. And the teleport pad just hanging there is unrealistic Tongue. At least put them on some rocks coming out of the mountain wall.

P.S. Please don't use red, it's hard to read, especially in quote's smallish text size.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:50:31 pm by Daemon » Logged

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »

I'm gonna try to answer the questions one-by-one!   Grin

Firstly I cant make different boulders with different effects - such as a fire boulder in one area and a aura boulder in another area - tried
@activate - and @active
!exec target "objedit dyn_boulder"
!exec target "objset effect fire_small"
then
#!exec target "objset effect divine_might"
triggered on other side of map
- but they all use one or the other as a whole.

Ah, that's not the way to do it!!!

I have attached an example for you.
Just push the boulder near hum stronghold along the road (towards the oschores).
It will suddenly appear like it's on fire, and cause radius damage (for 10s).

It works like this:
  /assets/_fire_ball.state   (a new state for fireballs, loaded from config-client/config-server).
  /effects/_fire_ball.effect   (the associated particle effect)

Then in the trigger script use:
@activate
!givestate target _fire_ball duration (in milliseconds)

Your cannons could spew out other things, like frozen or poisoned balls!   Evil
Increase/decrease the damage radius in the state file, to make your balls more/less deadly

This also answers you second question, simply change the duration (more/less) to decide when the effect should stop.

* xr_test.s2z (43.18 KB - downloaded 151 times.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:42:57 pm by Mohican » Logged

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2012, 06:01:11 pm »

Lastly is their any way to get vectors/velocity of the active boulder (coordinates) at any given time, to place an effect apon hitting a ground trigger like a flash/spark/damage radius - i guess the answer to my first problem may help me with a work-around. But my map needs more of a reason to use the cannon/ramp warmachines  so they at least get used and assist more in a game. A big damage radius apon landing on the other side, with effects would be just what the map needs.

I have added the following new cvars for you (they contain the components of the velocity vector):
gs_object_velx,  gs_object_vely,  gs_object_velz

In your script, you could do something like this:
@activate
!exec target "set _velocity [sqrt(gs_object_velx^2+gs_object_vely^2+gs_object_velz^2)]"
!damageradius target _radius _amount

(you need to add lines to calculate _radius and _amount as functions of _velocity...)
(for a spectacular impact, you could also add !exec target "spawneffect ...." using gs_object_posx ...)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:05:51 pm by Mohican » Logged

Faun
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 10:36:48 am »

My submit to the contest:

xr_oneday

http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=2215

An introduction is found here

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:52:07 pm by Faun » Logged
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2012, 11:33:32 am »

To all Contestants:

I have not been able yet to finalize the in-game Map rating system.
We are also tracking down a load-out bug before releasing XR 1.0...

As I will be travelling back to Japan tomorrow, there is no chance of being done by Jan 7th.
For this reason, you are getting another 1 week extension to Jan. 14th.

Renegade
Newerth Referees (EU)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »

just mad, because we can't check new maps. just that. :l

DarkPaladin

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 01:57:07 pm »

Can you please check the XR NPC Shrull? They have really huge shadows and even huger circles around them when selected. I did not resize them, its how they pop up for me in the editor. Still, this looks pretty awful ingame...

Faun
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »

The date should be corrected in the main page announcement.

@Dark Paladin: yeah, shrull is kinda broken. Its like this for a long time, still it would be great to see it fixed.
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:08 pm »

I have corrected the date, and will take a look at the shrull problem sometime this week.

@Genghis: will you submit xr_warmachine to the competition?!?

Riddick

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2012, 08:46:45 pm »

Lolz -.- On my second map, i setted the ground, (where you walk, build etc) to -1000 ... How can i change that the commander can scroll to the ground ? so that he doesnt has to stop at 0 ?

@ Deamon: I fixed the stuff on my first map, but i work a bit on, so i will upload it tomorrow.
DarkPaladin

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

Lolz -.- On my second map, i setted the ground, (where you walk, build etc) to -1000 ... How can i change that the commander can scroll to the ground ? so that he doesnt has to stop at 0 ?

@ Deamon: I fixed the stuff on my first map, but i work a bit on, so i will upload it tomorrow.

I guess you can't, just like its impossible for comms to view stuff on real high mountains
Faun
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2012, 11:15:09 pm »

There is a way, I just don't recall how the command was and I dont find it atm....  Undecided Can we get the last posts (inc. this) moderated to w/e thread plx? (mb. mapping help thread) I think they don't have to do much with the competition anymore.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:12:29 pm by Faun » Logged
Necrofears

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »

score, I finished xr_wars so I'll add it too.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: