Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2020, 01:45:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190056 Posts in 11008 Topics by 18557 Members
Latest Member: HaldirHardy
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Main Page News
| | |-+  XR New Map Contest
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XR New Map Contest  (Read 63270 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:40:26 am »

XR Map Contest - $100 Prize

Savage XR is quickly getting closer to its release day. Amongst the many improvements it brings over it predecessors, like the Clans Panel, the ingame S-mail System, user context menu, FPS gains, there's also a notable enhancement of the Editor along with ~200 new props. The conscious map maker can take advantage of the new features in the Editor, like the object browser with a preview box, manual coordinates input etc, and full sets of themed props and modular Lego-like bricks, allowing for the creation of scenes and structures that were simply impossible to do until now.

Submissions for a new map should be made here, for a period of 4 weeks, ending Sunday, January 15th, Midnight GMT. After the deadline, map admins will take a couple of days to ensure all entries are exploit and bug free and ready to go online. Once given the all clear, maps will be placed online and ready for the community to test over the January period.

If you are submitting a map for the contest, please clearly state your intention to enter the competition providing the name of the map as well as a link to the uploaded map in the mapping section. Maps that are entered into the competition will be added to a list compiled at the bottom of this post. If you have a map you wish to enter that you see is not on the list, please repost in this thread stating your entry.

Please also note that entries must be original works, not remakes of older maps with the xr_ prefix slapped on at the start. The purpose of this competition is to provide new quality maps for players to enjoy, that help showcase some of the wonderful new additions now available to mappers.

An in-game rating/comment system will be implemented in XR1.0 ahead of time, so that players are able to rate the new maps throughout January while playing them!

The best maps will be selected for a final vote, using a newerth poll.
The winner shall receive a (delayed) Xmas present: one 100$ voucher , for Amazon, Ebay, or the online retailer of his choice.

P.S: In the following days we will be adding even more props to the Auto-Updater of Savage XR 1.0 Testing install, so please check this thread once in a while, you may see new stuff you could use.

Good luck!

Entries

Necrofears - xr_newfort, xr_tower_a
Genghis - xr_duels
DarkPaladin - xr_thunderrift, xr_3cultures
Faun - xr_oneday
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:37:49 pm by Daemon » Logged

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:00:35 am »

Two weeks?? My maps usually take somewhere between a month and a year  Sad

I'll just finnish up xr_epicourse then lol, I don't need the 100 quid anyway Cheesy

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:42:21 am »

Two weeks is a little short... I think you will find that the majority of mappers will often work on something over a number of weeks as it is a rather time consuming process. From the creation of the map, to the implementation of triggers/effects, testing gameplay/exploits/bugs and then also the minimap creation process, it all adds up. Is it not possible to extend out the time frame a little ?

Renegade
Newerth Referees (EU)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »

!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS !

SHOW 'EM THE KING OF MAP MAKING
YOU HAVE THE CROWDS!

ENvIouS

Fly with me...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:20:25 pm »

FAUN ALREADY WON THE AWESOME MAP CONTEST THAT DIDN'T EXIST. XR TRANSYLVANIA IS THE FUCKING SHIT

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:51 am »

Good news to all would be winners of the 100 bucks: the competition has been extended until Dec. 31st.
This way you'll be able to spend your free time over Xmas making a winning map!

Judging will take place in 2 stages:
 (1) The maps will get played throughout January, with players being able to rate/comments on the maps directly in-game.
 (2) The best maps will be short-listed in a newerth poll, and the community will decide on the final winner.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:26:22 am by Mohican » Logged

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:30:48 am »

A final comment: Only maps that reach "online" status by Dec 31st 12PM will be selected for the January playtime.
Make sure to submit your maps before then, so that our Map Admins have time to review them.
You should post here links to your submitted maps, and screenshots if you would like.

Faun
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

hey its a great pleasure to have your support  Smiley I hope to prove your good view true!

Btw, try the map oneday, its online. It's not xr but meant to be good (personal I think my best in gameplay matters), even tho its made in one day. An xr version of it will be my submit, I think

To all participating mappers, tell the maps you want to submit here. I'll give them higher priority in testing because of the deadline, otherwise the newest submits into the map section are on the lower end of the list which we have to check. Please get them in in time, so at least one of us finds the time to check it thoroughly.  Afro
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:40:03 pm by Faun » Logged
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 05:52:02 am »

I just wanted to add, that after having finally had some time off to start going through all the new resources that Daemon has added, there is a fantastic amount of new props on offer. I strongly recommend any mapper that hasn't yet dived back into the editor to dust off their mapping gloves and get to work, these additions truly are a real boon to us all!

Necrofears

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 08:20:42 am »

I found that two things have notably been removed. there are no sawmills or infirmiries.

despite peoples opinions I have been incorporating them into my more ambitions designs ts_tower1.0 being my first test (yet to be approved)

That is all, I expect to have a map by the end of the month.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 08:32:36 am »

Do you HAVE to use these new props, or is it up to the mapmaker?

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 09:39:45 am »

It has to be an XR map that has to reflect the new additions. If you don't feel like making an _xr map, you don't really need to bother submitting anything for this contest.

@Necrofears: There is a small packaging bug right now, that makes props vanish from the editor (only). You can edit your autoexec.cfg and change "compressToS2z 0" from 1. This way your files will be unpacked on your hard drive and you'll see all the props.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 11:02:13 am »

New additions as in new props or do trigger and stuff count too? Smiley

And yes, an XR map contest MUST include an XR map, thats out of question I think Cheesy

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 11:16:29 am »

Triggers and scripts are fine imo. The idea of the competition is to show case what is possible with the new functionality. So long as you are aptly demonstrating what the editor is now capable of, then it should qualify.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 11:32:31 am »

Triggers and scripts are fine imo. The idea of the competition is to show case what is possible with the new functionality. So long as you are aptly demonstrating what the editor is now capable of, then it should qualify.

Very good! Smiley
Thanks for answering.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: