Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 12:32:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189878 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18416 Members
Latest Member: himpaskio
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  Tribes: Ascend (F2P)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tribes: Ascend (F2P)  (Read 11518 times)
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »

A new Tribes based F2P shooter got into closed beta yesterday.

Tribes: Ascend (2012)

Starsiege: Tribes (1998):

What the community says:

No beacons, insta base repair, health regen, no sensor gardens, no cameras, no portable inv, hitscan weapons (biggie!), spawn in gear, inventory & vehicle stations are non-destructable, jetpack is weak in comparison to T1/T2/TV, mortar reticle doesn't show range (TL useless), no JUMP button, can only bring 3 purchased loadouts into each game, good lord, I can go on and on and on. It's not Tribes...it's a nerfed version of COD/HALO/BF3 with jetpacks.

There's a whole list of stuff that is nerfed:  Cap on class speeds, FF is off, Only two weapons per loadout, no customization, no modding, no mapping, discjump is nerfed (speedcap makes it worse), lights can be one-shotted and heavy capping has become the only way to get the flag reliabliy, chasing is practically impossible, 2 turrets only and if you switch class they disappear, no command console, no observer mode, no demo, screen blocking weapon reloads happen ever couple shots, etc..etc...

Tbh, I played T1 and T2 a total time of +- 6 years and...I couldnt care less about all of that except no jump button, no portable inv and spawn in gear. I even like the fact that you can only bring 3 loadouts in a game.

Only Tribes2 was a small success of the franchise and even that one wasnt that hugely popular compared to CS, Q3 and HL in those days. So instead I'm happy that they're keeping the game fresh and different instead of an exact copy from Tribes2.

They have made too many drastic changes to the loadout mechanics in this game. All of it to support their P2P model to sell classes. I understand they have to make money, but this is not "real" Tribes. Using minimized fixed classes and perks so they can make money by selling more classes is just sad...sad.. I wish they would change their mind and sell weapons or map packs etc. but its too late in the game now. Poor Tribes franchise. It never gets the remake it deserves.

As a Tribes vet, I don't expect this to be any good. Holding a button down to ski? Generators automatically repair after 3 minutes? I'm sure there are other crimes I'm missing. Fuck you, HiRez.

"If you guys aren't happy with what you're doing, please press 'I' and purchase some different loadouts." Please have your credit card ready.

When this PoS hits retail, it will become the laughing stock of all the Tribes games (It kind of already is if you've been paying attention). Even Vengeance was better than this garbage. HiRez is only interested in milking the shit out of gamers for loadouts (Free-2-Play what a joke). That might have been a good business model if the game actually had some potential. Even the testers say it blows compared to other Tribes games. I doubt that anyone developing Ascend has even played Tribes.

You guys have NOT been reading the HiRez forums, nor the TribalWar forums. This game is really, REALLY sucking hard right now. Go read their forums...they're ablaze with unhappy alpha testers and pissed off Tribes players. It's crazy watching the COO of a company get torn into shreds...

Shouldn't the description say "... see what's been SUBTRACTED from the classic franchise."?

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:23:09 pm »

What a sad story, though I have never played Tribes. I avoid F2P games like the plague
Salubri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:36:41 pm »

looks bad  Undecided

Mats

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

Pretty sad but not surprising at all. Micro Transactions/F2P is pretty much the worst thing to happen to the gaming industry in my opinion. Having interesting and good gameplay seems to be getting further and further down the list of importance for game developers these days. Dumbing down things to be more mainstream seems to be what it's all about.
Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:37:17 am »

what mats said pretty much sums it up

Robbo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:25:07 pm »

Not true. It is just done wrong. I have yet to see it done right. HoN would be ok if they just had silver coins, reduced prices by at least 50% and got rid of their early access crap. Micro Transactions whould do a few things.

Firstly they shouldn't change gameplay unless it is designed in a certain way to make new players follow a certain path until they unlock their first few items, then have it all even.

Secondly they should be luxurary things. They should be for those people who want to give back to the company or have money to spare for a pretty hat.

Thirdly they shouldn't be shoved down the players throat, like Zynga does with their games.

So for example, a model that could possibly work with Savage (if we had the people and hours to create the assets and infrastruture). When creating an account you get to customize your physical appearance. Different hair for a nomad etc. A few assets and colours to pick. Then have a coin system which can be used to unlock more assets. Make it so coins are earnt on every match for certain things and balance it out so that an average player will get enough coins to unlock say if they play 4 matches. Make it get longer a little as you go, people like to aim for stuff. But not too much like so many other games. Next, give people the option to purchase coins. But make it something like $5 for a substantial amount (say around the amount of 1 month of player a few hours a day).

This stuff would have 0 affect on gameplay however it would bring in some revenue. Add in some other small techniques and if the game was popular you would be able to substain it with a few full time developers.

However, every game I have played that uses micro transactions does something wrong, usually making people who don't pay at a big disadvantage or buying coins is a fairly big cost.

I do wonder how Diablo3 will go with their micro transaction system.
Mats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »

You're being naive Robbo. Sure theoretically micro transactions might not do much harm if done a certain way. In practice though it just doesn't work like that. To keep the profit going the companies will create more and more crap to sell including things with slight in game benefits. The people who buys that stuff far outnumber the few people who might buy their cosmetic stuff but quit when they introduce items with in game benefits.
Robbo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »

I think you will find it is you who is being naive. Because you don't like them on the games you have played you assume they are evil. Companies can get plenty of profit doing it the way I said, actually more. Just because something has a higher price tag doesn't mean it will make more.

You are assuming all games have ingame benefits from them which is just ridiculous when there are a lot of games that are just cosmetic.

Classic example of people not liking change. Reason why this game is so dead as well Smiley
Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:22:58 am »

What micro transactions usually do is give you a temporary boost that makes you gain an advantage over players for a couple of days.

like.. with a better gun, more experience - that sorts of stuff.

in other words, pay to to gain advantages is what i am against.

Robbo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:20:03 am »

What micro transactions usually do is give you a temporary boost that makes you gain an advantage over players for a couple of days.

like.. with a better gun, more experience - that sorts of stuff.

in other words, pay to to gain advantages is what i am against.
Yeah definately. It is just a bad way to go about it and makes consumers unhappy. Some games don't alter gameplay with changes however, HoN didn't used to until they decided to just milk it until a better game comes out and added stuff like the early access heroes.

Micro transactions are where online games are going and it will start to be done right. When the industry sees the affects of it done properly hopefully less games will do it so poorly.

A good duscussion from some experts is here...
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions
Mats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 08:19:08 am »

I think you will find it is you who is being naive. Because you don't like them on the games you have played you assume they are evil. Companies can get plenty of profit doing it the way I said, actually more. Just because something has a higher price tag doesn't mean it will make more.

You are assuming all games have ingame benefits from them which is just ridiculous when there are a lot of games that are just cosmetic.

Classic example of people not liking change. Reason why this game is so dead as well Smiley

Yeah I don't think so. Micro-transactions brings nothing positive with it from a gameplay point of view. You're living in some kind a fantasy world.
Classic example of people painting a pretty picture of how things could be in theory while ignoring how it turns out in practice Smiley
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:25:58 am »

i always lol when people try to act all seriously and passionate about games

seriously wtf world

Vinther
I got a Medal!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »

game looks insanely bad
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:13 pm »

LevelupTV recently uploaded a Tribes: Ascend video:

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
MR_EVIL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:51:08 pm »

I played it and it is not bad. Pretty much fun!!!
Nice graphic, gameplay !!!

My Ingame Name is : JebCorliss
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:53:15 pm by MR_EVIL » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: