Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2020, 05:28:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190045 Posts in 11004 Topics by 18533 Members
Latest Member: Skuzie
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Savage XR Videos
| | |-+  Savage XR Melee Tutorial
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage XR Melee Tutorial  (Read 30734 times)
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 03:16:32 pm »

I didn't mean use the engine to show the top-down view. Just to output the data from it so you don't have to move things by hand in after effects.

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 04:29:09 pm »

I didn't mean use the engine to show the top-down view. Just to output the data from it so you don't have to move things by hand in after effects.

Oh, yes. That would be theoretically possible with a python script. I actually considered it too for Lecacy's fragmovie. Though it would still be a lot of work since the output has no usuable time code defining start and end and is in server fps (which can vary a lot in amount and especially lenght of each frame). While fetching stamina and health data is fairly easy, turning position and camera data into something useable takes considerably more effort. Anyways, controlling the buttons and animating the schemata is very fast and easy in AfterEffects after all that preparation work I've been doing yesterday.  Afro
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:36:56 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »

As for the HUD, I also think 3 and 4 are the best:

4 has the advantage that I've got more space for the mouse to perform moves that go multiple times to the same side. Plus the title "Basic Backstab" is aligned to the very left without menu/previous chapter/next chapter in between. So, for a download version of the tutorial I could easily remove these control elements without having to adjust the title. Though I could also just keep them there. And the mouse space in 3 is probably enough for combos backstabbing 3 times one side.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:43:55 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 05:39:33 pm »

4 looks great too. Particularly good since health and stamina correspond approximately to their position in the in-game hud.

I'm very interested in the python script idea. Once you have position and orientation vectors, I have some ideas for how to convert these into simple, centered coordinates and angles. The main concept is to average P1 and P2's positions at every frame and subtract that average from the two. This keeps them fixed around origin.

For angles, you just need some trigonometry to convert vectors into angles, and then you can translate P1 and P2 angles so that P1 starts out looking "up" on the screen.

As for the server FPS problem, well the server values sent to the client are half the story. The client maintains its own set of projected values which it updates every game frame and uses for the graphics. (This is why high pingers don't have to wait to see themseslves moving on screen.) You could try to capture these values.

Anyway, I'll look into it. Once a script is written it could be possible to set up a top-down graphic for duel competition vods, etc.

Edit: Not sure if some of this info is available to client scripts. TBD
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:59:11 pm by jazzking » Logged

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 05:01:16 am »

So I'm starting to think that other players' positions aren't accessible to client scripts, probably to protect against aimbots. I'd love to be corrected though.

The only other option is a server-side script. If anyone knows how to execute a server script during a client demo replay, hit me up. Probably not possible though.

Edit: A third option is to parse the demo file. A bit complicated though since it involves learning all about the netcode. Looks like Rigoletto made some progress here though:
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,15875.msg177275.html#msg177275
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,15917.0.html

Any advice appreciated. (Most helpful would be some way to access nearby player's positions and directions using client script).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:23:30 am by jazzking » Logged

Fallacy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 01:52:13 am »

It's definitely good but no number is good. I cant pay attention to the mouse and the pred at the same time let alone any of the other things. I wouldn't worry about throwing the mouse on the preds back and keys below. Transparent or opaque with button press  opaque. It may be a bit disorientating with the pred lerp though. The block/hit boxs are very nice, did take me a while to catch on though, it also needs to be closer. There is a spot diagonally up from the center of unit that we never use in 1v1 situations that you could put it in, or the mouse and keys in each.

Peripheral vision is a tricky thing it can only be focused when your are not focusing because so much of it is just our imagination. Find an animation or just imagine; on a plain background, a red circle, make it bigger, put a black dot in, it shrink it back, fade it to pink, fade to white. - "Has it changed yet."
I think that sums it up, being able to tell the when the right is being clicked when the left was already down, no no.
Without reference points which the grass texture has very little, proportions to where the colour is relatively in your view is hard.
Using different colours for different buttons comes with way too many challenges.

Peripheral can only be good if they're learned, mini map or CoD for example.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: