Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2020, 11:35:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190045 Posts in 11004 Topics by 18533 Members
Latest Member: Skuzie
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Savage XR Videos
| | |-+  Savage XR Melee Tutorial
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage XR Melee Tutorial  (Read 30766 times)
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:47:51 am »

Just throwing this out there: first make a mock draft of the tutorial, and make it 3 minutes tops. People who will spend more than 10 minutes listening to:

Now let's perform 2 hits in a row. One right and one left. Get into position on the right side again. Most people will have difficulties to aim fast enough to get the second hit right. Try to perform your mouse flick exactly 180 degrees, so you will automatically aim into the perfect direction for the second hit. Don't stress, and take the time you need to aim correctly - but don't take too much time, or you'll have to start with the first attack again.

Will be the ones already thrown hours into the game anyway, and won't need the tutorial. And it will be just a gimmick. An overly long one.

Shit, I'm like a Savage vet and was starting to get bored at the word "exactly" already.

Make it short and sound, not tedious and precise.

Besides this melee tutorial being made for players that have already spent few hours at the game (and that have already finished human and beast tutorial before) i.e. it can easily be longer than 3 minutes , the draft text above is indeed not (yet) laxly and irresponsibly worded, which is certainly a good starting position to work on the spoken text.

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 02:38:31 pm »

Shouldn't we start working on this project? I can volunteer to try that beast part. Generally I aim accurately in melee
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 04:12:59 pm »

Yeah, we definitely should, since I don't have the capacities to do everything alone until XR is released - at least not in accordance with my quality standards. When I write a concept of a project here at newerth I only do this to get you guys involved with giving feedback and helping to realize it.

I'm glad that you're offering your help as an actor, Nanaa, but there is still a lot of cutting and polishing needed with the manuscript before we can finally start with the practical part. :p

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »

The first job would be simplifying this text enough to make it easy to understand - also for non-native speaking persons - as well as dividing the tutorial into relatively short parts as suggested by Daemon and Bullet. I'd personally make the tutorial more detailed in the begin and add the more advanced moves with less explanations.

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,13947.msg161891.html#msg161891

ENvIouS

Fly with me...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 10:38:53 pm »

May I suggest a quick vocab review section? This would clarify terms even more for the new savage player.

Faun
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:42 pm »

scripting "bluescreened" moves for bots here would be great... aka. "The predator will now try to backstab you. Turn and block to defend yourself." "go!" ---
Rio D'Oro
Newerth Donator

NIGHTMARE Clan leader & MPUK stacker @_@

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 08:04:49 am »

Any news about this ? Smiley
Im willing to help somehow Smiley
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 08:07:55 am »

I'll send you the Beast tutorial EMO, which is not the same with the melee tutorial.

Rio D'Oro
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 09:39:19 am »

oh sorry Smiley didnt found a topic about beast tutorial so i thought it was this one here Smiley since melee is a huge part for beasts Smiley
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:52 am »

Melee is also a huge part of human. Grin
Rio D'Oro
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 09:43:01 am »

Ye ye Smiley
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

After finishing the XR trailer I will continue working on my Melee Tutorial instead of the suggested Melee Combat Show video. I think that makes more sense. Elements of the Melee Combat Show could still be implemented as appetizer. The Melee Tutorial will be available on youtube and for download (with royality free music). So, no in-game tutorial, as that's too hard to perform and coordinate. A video based tutorial has even the advantage that you can practice in-game and switch out to the browser againto watch the next steps.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:31:57 pm by H3027 » Logged

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 08:54:19 pm »

Savage XR Melee Tutorial

I hope to finish this project rather quickly. Instead of doing it the complicated (almost impossible) way with live recording a full duel tutorial demo, I'll just cut everything into a video with keyboard & mouse overlay and a bunch of explanations beforehand about hitboxes, attack window and mouse sens. The tutorial will be voice acted by Lea Gulino with the option to add youtube subtitles in different languages later.

Concept under construction: http://piratepad.net/meleetutorial
(feel free to add/change stuff)

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 03:07:19 pm »

I was actually considering doing the whole Melee Tutorial against bots on the duel_tutor2 practice map from the tutorial section, but that doesn't seem to work since the newbies will be told to practice against targets that don't move first. While duel arena 3 has a bot that only blocks and doesn't attack, he will continuously try to stand as close as possible to you, which isn't really helpful when you're trying to keep 2 steps distance before attacking. Furthermore he blocks randomly, which isn't exactly the ideal feedback for a newbie trying to learn a move, when it sometimes work and sometimes not although the newbie did it right each time. What would be needed is a bot that doesn't move and just blocks (not randomly) with a little delay, so each time the newbie does the backstab right, it won't get blocked as well - which is the realistic scenario against low to average skilled players.

Where the duel practice map could be used is to practice multi-leaping, i.e. waiting until the bot attacks, then performing an escape leap + backstab. For general duel practicing (backstabs, bouncing) the bots can be recommended, though a big downside is that the bots only care about the unit position and ignore where your unit aims at. Hence advanced mousework (mouse fakes) is much much less effective than against real humans. That's bad, because it will take an important role in the tutorial.

Considering all that I will probably create a new duel map with a single NPC Legionnaire like on duel_garden_beta11 that doesn't move and doesn't hit you either. The tutorial will then tell you to type:

/checkmapversion xr_duel_practice
/world xr_duel_practice

to download and load the map.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 04:31:49 pm »

You can change its speed to 0.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: