Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 26, 2020, 02:05:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189917 Posts in 10984 Topics by 18460 Members
Latest Member: Wrayman114
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Savage is brutal
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage is brutal  (Read 7633 times)
Zafirbel

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »

brutally hard.

I know how the game works. I have been playing Savage 1 and 2 and First Person Shooters, so I'm not a complete newbie. I even joined the duel servers from time to time.

But when I'm on the field, I just get PWND.
This game has such a huge skill ceiling, which is kind of good for you veterans, but bad for me. Just don't know how much I'll keep playing before quitting again just because I don't win enough for my taste.
I remember when I first played savage - 2 years ago or more - there were at least some people in my range. Now it's just a slaughter.
Meh.
Great game, though. Wink
Zyxoma
Newerth Shoutcaster

Orange EyE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:13:12 pm »

try joining mpuk server, its a bit lower skill lvl there most of the time and smaller teams
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

If you find yourself unable to do much, just don't try and do what veterans do. Make incremental steps in learning the gme:

- Start by playing humans a little more, going safe with items in loadout (3 medkits, relocator, ammo pack), pick a long ranged weapon for starters (repeater, pulse canon, coil rifle) and start shooting beasts. When they're in range, reloc home, refill and do it until you manage to kill a few.
- Then go shorter distance, with flux gun. Instead of ammo pack, get immobilizers. Immob your target and shoot it.
- After you get to kill some more of those, try immobing enemies and attacking them with your axe instead of shooting, but try and stick to other teammates, so when you attack with melee, they keep shooting your target which gets lower on health this way.
- Next, try and shoot your flux at enemies and as soon as they come closer or look like they intend on attacking you, switch to melee and try to block them. Again, seek support from team mates so that when you block, they shoot or hit the enemy.
- And finally, after you learn to block them, hit back after block. One block, one hit, one heal (or more, if you need it). Repeat that until you get it right Cheesy.

Learning beasts is a different thing altogether, but by getting used to humans you actually get to see what a beast needs to do in this game.

$hacaR
"The Mod Machine"
Newerth Donator

Warr!or 4 EVER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:33 am »

the thing is that since the game isnt very popular you wont find many "noobs".. almost everybody has a certain skill level.. and if you are pretty much okay and you fight against a decent legionair with your pred... you wont have an easy time..

Scipio

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:18:19 am »

This is, I think, one of the biggest obstacles the game faces in terms of popularity. Compared to a regular FPS, the FPS elements of Savage are just... different. That is something I have always liked about Savage. The fact that there aren't really any 'normal' guns. Tempest is probably the closest thing to a "normal FPS" sort of projectile in terms of the "shot" being essentially instantaneous. Other than that, almost everything else has travel time and parabolic trajectory or charging mechanics(hunting bow, discharger, fireball...etc.)

That alone makes this game a little weird for your average FPS player to slip into. But then the meat and potatoes of Savage is third-person melee combat which, again, is just different than most other games.

If that wasn't enough, teamwork actually matters in this game in a really big way, and on top of that there is resource management and building strategy as well.

I'm not sure if it is even possible to give someone a crash course in all of that and reasonably expect them to be effective in the field before they get bored/frustrated from dying all the time. Which is a shame because I think once you get over that initial hurdle, the game really is uniquely fun and addicting.
KQ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:59:43 am »

and if you have any questions, or you need train, go to MA and ask some for trains, if one have any questions, i everytime try to help him.

btw.
Deamon, we need to include your manual on the newerth homepage, this is pretty easy to understand and not so boring like the turtorial ingame...
-Mein-
The One and Only
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »

Savage just...

takes alot of time to learn.

So you shouldn't cry.

kingwesley(WILLY)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »

I play savage for almost 6 years and i still suck!
So don't quit and keep improving your skills, we all know that if we had a score of 0-10 or 1-20 isn't great but, maybe one day if you don't quit, your score can reach something like, 50-0 or even a 100-0!
Just keep playing and don't give up Smiley

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »

You guys got it all wrong.
Play for fun, not for improvement. Smiley
kingwesley(WILLY)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »

Play for fun, and if you really like it, play for improvement and play to be the best Smiley

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »

Never play to be the best. Smiley Unless you want it as a professional career.
KQ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 09:09:45 pm »

nah i wanna get better, but a career like bobbe...i wont do it like this, play 4 fun, and get better.
kingwesley(WILLY)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »

Never play to be the best. Smiley Unless you want it as a professional career.
You're right man but if you know how to play, and if you get positive scores it'll be easier for you to play 'cause you will be with a high morale IG.

biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »

Constantly losing isn't fun.

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  G
Hakugei