Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 20, 2019, 05:35:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189653 Posts in 10987 Topics by 18241 Members
Latest Member: Abigaiper
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Re-balancing Suggestions
| | |-+  First generation changes
| | | |-+  S17: Alternative Tier 2 & 3 mining units and buildings
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S17: Alternative Tier 2 & 3 mining units and buildings  (Read 6305 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:57:38 pm »

Suggested by: Daemon

The re-balancing suggestion:
1. The precise change you wanna see done, including exact values and item/unit names etc.
The introduction of tier 2 and 3 mining units and buildings:

Tier 2: a new, worker-type, AI controlled foot unit; a better fighter, a little faster and/or carrying more stone.
 Cost: 75 RS. Health: 150% of a Worker; Damage: 150% of a Worker; Speed: 125% of a worker; Stone: 100 / trip.

Tier 3: an unmanned, extractor type building, built on top of mines, in range of garrs, mining at a steady rate.
 Cost: 500 RS. Health: Similar to Arsenal; Mining rate: about the average rate of 3 workers on a given time unit.

2. What triggered it (what is the CAUSE that made you think of something to eliminate that cause)
Mining is not a pretty thing to do, especially on pubs when there are so few players willing to take one for the team, it's boring, and takes players away from actually playing Savage. The randomness of the number of players obeying the comm when the team is in need of redstone, or when a mine needs PM or constant mining, makes the game highly unpredictable and frustrating for comms, and a very fluctuating experience for the rest of the team, depending on whether enough ppl swarm the mines when needed.

3. The predicted overall effect of your change (its PURPOSE).
The impact of stacks (or the number of experienced and obeying players) on the long term course of the game due to the stone mining shortcomings is reduced. Unbalanced teams would get a somewhat more leveled out stone income rate, which would allow comms to focus more on strategy and players on other, less tedious jobs. Might also speed up the late game a little, since workers could be used for building while extractors mine stone.

The impact on the game:
4. What will become harder to do, and for whom (units, teams etc).
Completely cutting off the stone income of a team - therefore pushing comms into choosing very defensive strategies - will be somewhat harder. Not that much, since the new workers should be only a bit stronger, and the extractor is just another building, after all, and its mining rate should be rather low. It won't make worker raping any harder since those happen mostly during Level 1 and 2.

5. What will become easier to accomplish, and by whom.
Comms will have a more consistent and constant stone income during Tier 2 and 3, while assigning other tasks for field players. Remote mines might be easier to mine, even though there would be an initial cost of red stone in order to build the extractor.

6. Will it make the game harder or easier for newbies (vs. veterans), and why.
If anything, the impact of newbs on the game is a little reduced, also allowing them to experience the more fun parts of the game, instead of the boring mining.

The ripple effect
7. Subsequent changes needed to tone down (compensate for) the effects of this change.
None

8. Other changes, which the current suggestion would benefit from or depends on (so it can work properly).
The python bot scripting would help create some custom behavior for the new units, maybe assign a guardian-type role for them as well, making them react when the mines, buildings or other workers are under attacked.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:53:09 am by Daemon » Logged

Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:15:15 pm »

i like.

but tier2 should be a minor worker upgrade or none

tier3 upgrade reminds me Empires Dawn of the Modern World Smiley
KQ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:38 am »

i like too so its balanced the fastmining by humans...but then firerushs are more easier...just to think...
but this char should cost something...like 500 Gold...
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:39:54 am »

Fire rushes in lvl1 and 2 won't be affected, since you get the new workers at lvl2 and the extractor at lvl3.

KQ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:02 am »

ohh well i think ive not read the text enough good..xD my english..xD
Zaitev
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:09:31 pm »

I haven't really decided whether I'm in favor or against this suggestion, I will just post some thoughts so maybe someone can either convince me or not.

The willingness of your team to obey the commands given is a key thing in winning a match. IMO, players that don't want to go scav or nomad because they don't want to risk losing their survivor award don't deserve to win the match. This kinda leans towards taking the mining aspect away from the field except for the early-game pmining. If you're redstone-starved late-game, your team is supposed to get out of that tight position by really using teamwork; one of the most important (if not the most important) thing in the game.

On the other hand.. The game is supposed to be fun for commanders too and it's a wee bit frustrating to have a skilled commander just sit there and watch his base die because his team didn't feel like mining him some rs.

Hmm.
Scipio

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:53 am »

I've often thought it might work to have the commander have a special 'builder/miner' buff that he can assign to a player or two who actually is trying to 'take one for the team' and do base-chores. Perhaps there could be a separate Officer tag that produced a passive effect towards NPC workers that made them all work a little bit more effectively while that "production officer" was in their vicinity. In a similar way to how there is the health regeneration aura with current officers.

This would not necessarily solve the consistency issue, but it might make mining/building a more desirable aspect of the game for players. Personally, I've always liked mining/building anyway. It's good to know that a little dedicated power mining before killwhoring can mean all the difference between a 10 minute game that ends in a rush or an hour long game that ends in a draw and is a lot of fun.
Zackorrigan
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:58:58 am »

Scipio and if noone players wanna mine? Others players will blame a players because comm gave him "mine flag"and the player don't wanna mine. I like the idea of a mining unit who can't build

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: