Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 23, 2019, 05:24:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189588 Posts in 10984 Topics by 18214 Members
Latest Member: saztaynisk
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Hounds and dogs: New potential unit idea to spice up melle.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hounds and dogs: New potential unit idea to spice up melle.  (Read 3227 times)
Graal

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:15:02 pm »

A small idea for you guys:

Hounds and war dogs.

light scout, player controlled, fast, good melle, low hp -ie two/thirds of a nomad-, can leap but only far enought to engage in and out of melle, has carni automaticaly. cannot build, cannot flag capture. has 6th sense automaticaly. Free to use. starting unit like the nomad.

role?
Scout and anti seige. its speed -double running speed- would let it close with bad melle units easily and it could stand up to a low level unit early on and make an interesting addition to the feel of things, good for running down fleeing oponents or hitting snipers. size would let it slink around if the player is good at stealth via uses of bushes and shrubs. making players a bit more wary of low level ground cover.
Upgrades would be health and stanima ones reaserched at the stronghold, or a new building called the kennel? debatable
Killing one is low gold and low amno yeild, a bit like those g dog/hyena things.
Its attack rate should be faster than a nomad or scavanger, to compensate for their lower hp, but since a nomad and scav have block and leap respectivly, only suprise attacks or very skilled players would be serious threats.

benefits:
could be a gaping unit from humans to beasts ie: human player as a hound gets used to some of the beast side of things to try them out.
It would allow gold collection to be easyer and further afeild from the stronghold.
it will allow humans and beasts a fast ability to scout out enemy positions
it will allow a more interesting game of hunt the workers
expansion of melle combat
anti sniper/seige/healer role in later game? will have to see if any upgrades would allow such a thing, ie ranged armour to close into melle.

cons:
Diversion of units from scavs/nomads if starting already, though it could be reaserchable at something like 2500 gold so that it isent instantly used and hence slow down the game.
The upgrades would probably have to cost stone, even if small amounts, and right now, humans have problems on the economical use of red stone to get everything currently required to be an effective team, could have it not cost redstone, but that would make the tech always reaserched so it would be pointless as a strategic option choice.
newbies may get killed alot as said unit, since its lower health would make its use in a propper way very challanging.
a new tech line or unit line, so the time to even add these would be a con since their are better things to add.

They could carry amunition for the team or suicide bombs if the game turned out to require such a thing.

Just an idea ive had for a wile, let me know what you think. just to spice up melle a bit.
Currently, beasts have advantage on scouting but limited anti sniping abilitys, even with lightning -due to the hold charge time- wereas humans have an advantage on anti sniping, but poor scouting. this is a general unit suggestion to address both factors with the same solution -2 birds 1 stone-

this could be reflected with stronger human hounds and faster beast hounds.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:05 pm »

I don't know if having a second unit beside tier1 so early is such a good idea.
And "double speed" is clearly too much. :p

A unit made for "scouting" would be quite interesting, though.
Some cheap disposable unit for quick and dirty work. :p Fighting capabilities? Barely. That's what the normal units are for.
Graal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »

as such, its just a unit to throw around, and hounds are usualy good in numbers or against weakened opponents, as a frontliner, it wouldnt be able to stand up to the standerd units. think its worth having a look at? you could use those dog/hyena things as a model to test such a unit and its stats in a fast prelude instea dof building it from scratch just to test it./

also: sorry, forgot to post in the modding fourm. if someone could shimmy this over, it would be apreciated. sorry again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:21:08 pm by Graal » Logged
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »

Adding this shouldn't take longer than a few minutes. :p
Try it on an own server. Smiley Any clue about Savage scripting/modding?
Graal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »

none what so ever unforchunatly xP

i have no programning experiance and what little model making experiance i have is incomplete since ive been waiting on a freind to get a copy of a decent image programn, so i never managed to learn it propperly.

hence: idea for you guys. if i could do stuff like this myself ide have done it x(

thanks for taking an interest though, ill have to see if any of the dev team would be willing to try it out for 5. see if its worth looking into.
-Kerberos-

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:50 pm »

Yeeess I'm up - well this needs some work but like the 2nd starting unit idea.

but well, tier 1 fights only lasts like 1 minute in pub anyways... That's a shame
Graal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:41 pm »

thanks for taking a look Kerberos, any idea when you can be ready to test it?
this machine cant have savage on it, but ill try get online to see how it works out.
give me a pm or such when/if anyone trys this out. Its my idea, but i wont be the one implamenting it xP anyone who does will be the true deserver of said credit. I just want to be their to see it implamented.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

If you want to be cheap for testing, you can use gerkats for your hounds. :p
As for scripting...you can try out the GS tutorial which should be enough for you to understand. Probably.
And here's some more diverse guides.
For a quick testing server, you may have to ask someone to temporarily host it for you. (And have some people/testers/friends try it.)
Graal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

thanks, ill get onto it as soon as i can. my bros hogging the laptop used for gameing atm though, bloody wow fan.
much apreciated Hakugei.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 11:12:25 pm »

For any more specific questions, drop by the modding section or PM one of us modders.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: