Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 25, 2020, 10:54:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189917 Posts in 10984 Topics by 18460 Members
Latest Member: Wrayman114
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  New tech line for Savage XR
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New tech line for Savage XR  (Read 19753 times)
Rostner
The Grapist

I'm gonna grape you in the mouth!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »

I really like the idea for the items. Not quite sure what you want with the weapons though. Maybe you could sketch what you think they would look like with some technical specifications as well. That would make it more clear.

Looking forward to your thoughts for the water tech line.  Afro

NightFox

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 06:20:30 pm »

Before i start my large discussion on the new beast tech line i would like to just explain why I think new tech lines will have a positive effect on this old but good game.

One aspect that i noticed this game is lacking is variety. The 3 tech lines for humans and beast just isn't enough variety. Though they have been balanced as much as possible the game gets stale on the amount of strategies a commander can implement into the game. As an experienced commander I feel that after learning the few strategies that beasts and humans have to offer the skill level plains off, I find myself doing the same old builds over and over again and the players get the same old weapons over and over again. The commanders role in non league games has really become the slave of the game. Players expect their commanders to get the at the very least for humans, Flux/coil, reloc, meds, ammo, demo, siege, mines, and ocasionally chaps (i may have left out something). For the beasts it seems fire-blaze+items, strata-temp+items, shamans, siege, and melee weapons. and both teams just require that the commander buff them like crazy. The role of commander should not be the slave it should be the commander. With that said to change this up variety to the different techs that a commander can use will diminish the slave role and change it more to commander role. I would even go as far as to say add 3 more tech lines to each team to give humans and beasts 6 different tech lines. WIth this many options for the commander the number of strategies is endless. A new resource would also come in to play, SCOUTING. It's funny since you would think scouting is a large part of the game now, but it really isn't, since the only real reason to scout now is to see where the beasts or humans place their outposts and if one is planning a rush or not. WIth many different tech lines scouting the base for which tech lines the commander decides to use would be crucial for countering those tech lines. RIght now if a commander goes sac rush, you go flux, if a comm goes strata you get mag and get your shield. But with the addition of new tech lines it will go from if the opposing commander gets this weapon first to if this commander goes this tech line first or these 2 tech lines i get these two. The use of the tier 1 one weapos really has fallen to the waste side as well.

When i see savage i see a mirror of starcraft with the ability to play as the units. The game really should be more heavily weighed on the ability of the commander than it is now. Not to say it isn;t weighed at all but the skill level of a commander levels once a commander realizes get this tech first on this map then get a sub here. and humans comms realize the very basic if beast get fire i get flux, if beasts get strata i get mag, if beasts get summs i need coil. There jsut is not enough variety.

Ok enough of the explanations of why we need mroe tech lines now i will attempt to create the water tech line.

NightFox

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:56 pm »

Beast water tech line: beasts are the aggressive race and win the majority of the games so i do not want to give them too many more offensive advantages, so i think the water tech should be for defense.

items: (1) since one defensive problems beast have is killing those pesky siege units, especially the catas with all the health i thought a good first item costing (200 stone) would be a ball of water (since water rots and erodes wood) that you can hold 3 of this item in your inventory and throw at siege units (like a immobilizer). This item could do 1 of 2 things. It could either boost the attack damage of beast melee for a short period of time allowing beasts to get some extra damage on a siege unit or it could do a constant damage like venom but a bit more power to it. I think this would definitely help beast in defending against siege units and killing those rouge ballis or catas that one beast player finds wandering around the back door.(2) this item would be the (300 stone) item and it would work like the human Chaplin potion. It would have the same timer as mist or storm and would would regenerate health at an accelerated rate. (same rate as Human chaplin potion).

Weapons: (1) this could mimic the humans chem lvl 1 tourch shooting out a low powered mist of water instead.. It would obviously be from a staff and not a gun. (2) this weapon could do extra damage to siege units and could be like surge shooting out a more powerful stram of water. (3) could mimic the pulse canon with small area damage and doing more damage to siege units. this weapon shoots out a "pulse" or burst of water very high powered burst.

The water spire could lesson the damage of cata shots on in the surrounding area of the water spire. the distance in which this effect would occur would be shorter than that of a healing spire. it would deter the damage catas could do on spires

The buff could be liek the fire buffs damage but to siege units only.

NightFox

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 01:04:42 am »

Also. another item option for humans gravity tech could be gravity boots allowing humans to sprint faster. This could also be a "sixth sense" style item where as long as you have it an are alive it is constantly in affect. You could either tie it into the stamina bar where as long as you are sprinting and using stamina you get some extra speed or you could tack it on so that your normal run besides was slight faster but not as fast as sprint.

if i knew the speed numbers i would throw them up.

Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 11:59:57 am »

The buff could be liek the fire buffs damage but to siege units only.

Hey NightFox, you truly have great ideas which I'm really excited about. If you don't mind I'd suggest the water buff to be a bit different. Your current idea is a bit too lame, don't you think?

Continuing the anti-siege theme, the water buff could be used to shield any structure for 10-15 seconds against all damage. The buff should cost relatively a lot of energy, for example 200 points with the max pool always being 200. This way beasts could buy some time to deal with humans' synchronized siege rushes   Wink
NightFox

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:03 pm »

Hey NightFox, you truly have great ideas which I'm really excited about. If you don't mind I'd suggest the water buff to be a bit different. Your current idea is a bit too lame, don't you think?

Continuing the anti-siege theme, the water buff could be used to shield any structure for 10-15 seconds against all damage. The buff should cost relatively a lot of energy, for example 200 points with the max pool always being 200. This way beasts could buy some time to deal with humans' synchronized siege rushes   Wink

I do like that idea more. I welcome changing my ideas, i was just getting the ball rolling Others like yourself will perfect them more. I had written so much that day my ideas started to seem lamer and lamers as i wrote haha.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:31 pm »

The 1st product has arrived:
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,13154.new.html#new

Graal

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2011, 11:21:44 am »

i think these mods all look great. and are done realy well,
just think that all modds should have a public server for them to be tested on, a passworded server like the pick your team and fight server. -sorry, been a long time since ive been on savage, i keep checking untill i can get my computer online again to game- so that the modders can test in peace or have everyone join in.

that way, it dosent take a savage fourms chat with all the negative fellows butting in to even get these things created. I dont mind savage changing from when i played it, itll still feel like an epic battle of skill and ballsy moves, just be a bit more deadly and interesting.

I do think that a special map should be made for the testing of new units, ie: rought hilly ground and flatlands, and get pitchet battles for the modders to observe how it plays out and how the units interact, that way, we wont need half garbled convos on balancing the new units as much as: shove it in the feild of battle and fight it out, go away, edit/change, come back, and fight again to see how it all stacks up.

Anyone whos played savage knows when they have a good all round unit -Stalker/savage- or a specalised one, -preditor has advantage in open areas, legionaire has advantage in enclosed straight areas, pred has advantage in enclosed chaotic bendy areas, ie: woodlands, these two pair up splendidly- as such, any new modded units should be put to the test in a map to find out if or what changes need to be made to them to fufill their niches to suite their terrain types and their use types.

-info from the battles will also go a long way to help mapmakers as they make pro beast or pro human areas of the map to elongate yet not stifle the games-
LaDy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10:35 pm »

Stopped reading the idiotic responses at page 1, so im sorry if it was already said .

Adding new tech to the game is a great idea, extreme mod didnt fail, EU's just never played it, we had tons of epic games on that mod.

I personally dont like some of your additions, i would rather see a tier 4 being made and perfected, but everthing new is welcome imo.

Btw, most ppl in the community contribute nothing but bitching about new things, if what you build is bugless and runnnig smoothly, dont ask anyone, just put it on xr, and it will be played and eventually ppl will get used to it.
Note that it needs to be a well worked addtion with experianced players ofc, and im sure most will gladly help.

P.S -
Not having the squads addition on groents server is just a stupid rent by people who's clue about the game lack vision.
lololol
Newerth Referees (EU)

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

I personally like extreme mod so much  Afro  dunno about it balance, because server is empty.. what is pity:(
Every new ad-dons, mods, maps, every new possibilities is great!,of course, only some of them will be successful, but it's worth it Afro

just one important warning- every "new stuff" should be as options, with possibility to switch it OFF/"old version".
is unacceptable to force the user to use some "new stuff" instead "old stuff", user should always be able to choose between "old" and "new".

If this is the main requirement would satisfied, then the developers will receive only positive feedbacks!

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 07:24:39 pm »

Server admins only need to enable/disable the objects in a server's objectlist.
It's really easy (and if the devs aren't morons, they'll have nicely sorted additions for a quick and simple overview :p).
lololol
Newerth Referees (EU)

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 07:30:28 pm »

I personally like extreme mod so much  Afro  dunno about it balance, because server is empty.. what is pity:(

The immature bitching, cheap shots and general lack of respect that is shown by a fair number of people in this community makes me sick sometimes. It's truly amazing to me what a little bit of anonymity does for giving "cowardly lions" a brave face. As my dearly departed grandma used to say to me, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. Censor your attitudes people before I start doing it for you.

Thanks.

Every new ad-dons, mods, maps, every new possibilities is great!,of course, only some of them will be successful, but it's worth it Afro

just one important warning- every "new stuff" should be as options, with possibility to switch it OFF/"old condition".
Is unacceptable to force the user to use some "new stuff" instead "old stuff", user should always be able to choose between "old" and "new".
It doesn't mean what player will switch-off  "new" because it  is "bad"... no!  just very often "old" means the  familiar, comfortable, retro, classic... etc.   don't forget what most savage players are old savage players.

If this is the main requirement would satisfied, then the developers will receive only positive feedbacks!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:33:17 pm by lololol » Logged

Sonny
Mefix sux
Newerth Shoutcaster

Director, storywriter and voice actor of TFoS

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »

XR
Savage rebirth
Savage heroes
Extreme
World of Savage

Protip:

finish 1 thing, then start on the next

Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 11:10:14 am »

XR <- Being worked on.
Savage rebirth <- Being worked on but by mainly other people.
Savage heroes <- On hold
Extreme <- What needs changing about that? Isn't it done?!
World of Savage <- stayed with concepts and maybe some concept art.

Protip:

finish 1 thing, then start on the next
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:59:47 pm by Groentjuh » Logged

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »

All that stuff Tjens and Groen posted, except SH, has nothing to do with me Smiley. I've finished my tasks for XR and with the Mech done, i've started working on the Glider which is prolly gonna be done this week. After i've added the 100% complete new ranged siege + melee units, i will give this a rest and go back to SH.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: