Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2019, 06:15:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189670 Posts in 10987 Topics by 18249 Members
Latest Member: DanyNep
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  Mafia (play-by-post game)
| | | |-+  Mafia 1 - Newerth (SIGN-UP & POSTGAME)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mafia 1 - Newerth (SIGN-UP & POSTGAME)  (Read 60361 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:01:59 am »

For a long time, humans knew what to expect from the beasts. They've painfully learned how to stop whatever The Horde was throwing at them, be it bolts of pure energy or flames consuming everything in their paths. But recently, the powerful entropy, fire and strata magic seemed to be not more than mere sticks, as the enemy had started hitting them with something new, something awful! Frightful rumors were spreading like wildfire, fueled by unexplainable disappearances going from lonely travelers to entire tribes, and villages being completely erased.

Jaraziah was at a loss. One can fight an enemy one is able to see, even a misted one, but how can you fight something that you know nothing about and you know nobody that knows anything about? The only people that have been facing it are dead or missing. The Legion has to stand its ground! Like many times before, the humans have to stick together and eradicate whatever is threatening their homes and families! From all over Newerth, every clan and every tribe must send their best and brightest to a Great Assembly whose purpose is solving this dreadful puzzle!

The great mountain range of Eesturop had never seen such a thing. Chieftains, warriors, clerics and engineers alike, were converging from high and wide. They've all answered Jereziah's call, and they're all heading to the Deekta's Redoubt, the most inaccessible and well defended human stronghold. That should provide safety for the Great Assembly, but alas... not all are within its sturdy walls.

Further up north, several small tribe delegations heading towards Deekta bunch up together. Surely the road is full of perils and especially against the beasts, strength lies in having someone to watch your back. As the night approaches one could observe the exhausted travelers looking for a good place to set camp. The village hall of a deserted settlement they've stumbled across seemed like the best choice. The youngest of the group places a few sensors, just in case. Around the fire, preoccupied faces were staring into the dancing flames, concerned about their future. Eyes were starting to close, tired men were succumbing to sleep, when out of the blue, sensors triggered a perimeter alarm!

Seconds later, a wounded nomad comes crashing near the men already arranged in a defensive formation, closely followed by a few enraged scavengers. Crossbows and axes made quick work of the beasts. “Tend to the man!”, an elder ordered. “His medikit is empty, but the venom is still running through his veins. It’s too late for him.” replied the medic that was trying to help him.

“I have seen what terrible curse the beasts have brought upon us!” whispered the wounded nomad, his life slowly draining away from him. “Speak, man, speak! What is it?” “They… they are morphing! After killing us, they transform to look like us, like those they’ve killed! That’s how they get past our defenses unnoticed. I have watched them slaughtering my tribe, and for two days I’ve been on the run. But i am doomed, because I’ve seen their faces… the faces of my clansmen… the faces of those they’ve killed… the faces of those they’ve turned into!”. The nomad then started shivering, and one could see the terror in his wide open eyes. With his last drop of energy he raised his shaky hand and pointed towards the bulk of the men, that had moved away to give him room to breath. “They are here… they are amongst you! Don’t… don’t…. don’t let them get to Jereziah!”

Instantly, everyone armed their weapons. A great ripple of distrust scattered the men about, each one pointing guns and swords at the others. They were all aware of  what that meant: using necromancy and magic, the beast had disguised themselves as humans and now nobody could be trusted! After almost an hour of stand-off, the elder lowered his weapon and decreed: Men, this cannot go on! The beasts cannot be allowed to live, but we shall not tear ourselves apart like drunken monkits! We shall seal the doors and windows, and nobody shall leave this hall until all the beasts have been found… and put out of their misery! Sheath your blades and use your brains! Each day we will convene and cast votes against whoever we decide it’s a filthy follower of Ophelia, and that unfortunate soul shall meet his end! We have to survive and Jereziah must be made aware of the terrible plague has been released upon mankind!”

Welcome to Mafia 1: Newerth!

If you want to play this game, please reply with your e-mail address. If you do not wish to take part, please do not reply, posts will be deleted. Once the sign-up phase is done, the players will be added to a special group and they’ll be the only ones allowed to post here. This game requires active and sane people, who can keep it civil. Even if my aim is ~20 players, I reserve my right to refuse known flamers, trolls and cheaters.

The most basic rules are as follows:

- Mafia is a game based on the principle of “informed minority vs. uninformed majority”.
- The game has 2 phases: 1. the game days (~7 real days), when players discuss and vote, and whoever has the most votes gets lynched, and 2. the game nights (~3 real days), when mafia and other roles can attack and/or use special abilities, according to roles given. (protecting roles, investigative roles, attacker roles, etc. - more on the wiki page)
- The bad guys / mafia clan represent around 1/3 of the total number of players, and they all know who they are, and they are allowed to communicate ONLY at night, and ONLY using e-mail. While pretending to be good guys, their purpose is to lie, hack and steal and vote their way to the end, meaning killing all the other players. They have the advantage of being able to attack a person each night.
- The villagers / town people / good guys make up for most of the rest. They are only informed of their own role, and their goal is to try and pick off mafia scum, using their 3 advantages: 1. day-time vote. 2. the numbers. 3. special roles with night time abilities. Outside the game topic, they are not allowed to communicate with anybody except the moderator (me, Daemon).

ANY OTHER ATTEMPT TO COMMUNICATE WITH OTHER PLAYERS EXCEPT FOR MAFIOSOS DURING THE NIGHT AND SENDING ME THE NIGHT TARGETS MEANS INSTANT ELIMINATION. This includes any attempt at discussing outside the game thread, before or after dying. Talking means haxing. Are you a hax0r?

Please read the wiki page, explains a lot about the game, its structure and roles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29

Also, you would benefit from taking a look at some older games, like:
http://www.romafiaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613 .
http://www.romafiaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133
http://www.romafiaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572

I’m sure you may find this scary, but trust me, you’ll quickly get the hang of it. It’s an awesome and challenging online social experience, which I’ve enjoyed for almost 10 years now.

So, join up! No need to read the whole story either Tongue. As soon as a reasonable number of players sign-up, roles will be sent out, and after all confirmations come in, the 1st night will start. (Beard, thanks for the pictures!)

Players (22)
Lucky
Winterfresh
Hakugei
BEARD!
UnSaFe
Tjens
DieOrFail
Rolex
happy
Mind
Moxy
pizlo
$hacar
Fat-Tony
Notausgang
Trigardon
IgorS
Mischoko
Mchief
BierfrOind
Shagroth
Faun

Replacements:
Mefix
Dervun
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:19:36 pm by Daemon » Logged

Lucky
Newerth Shoutcaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:22:51 am »

Nice story Dae Tongue

Well, how will you check if somebody isnt contacting somebody else, if viliger will somehow luckily contact another viliger you are porbably never gonna find out Tongue

However Im up for it, really like mafia, btw if somebody has Warcraft 3 we can play mafia on battle.net Tongue

Lucky, paruzel.lukasz@gmail.com
WinterFresh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:51:30 am »

Sign me in!

I consider myself sane and active...well maybe just active, I have my insane times.  Cheesy

Nice story by the way.

Email: boss1radu@yahoo.com

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:01:54 am »

Well, those trying to talk to other villagers are those trying to h4x in savage too... i guess we all know who they are. Tongue

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:08:32 am »

Well, how will you check if somebody isnt contacting somebody else, if viliger will somehow luckily contact another viliger you are porbably never gonna find out Tongue

Daemon did reserve the right to decline people he deems not trustworthy enough. :p
Besides that, villagers contacting one another is a stupid idea, as what guarantees that they can trust one another and it's not a cheap ploy of the mafia trying to gather some innocent followers? Wink Don't you worry about that. Cheating actually backfires on this game.

You know I'm in. You even linked to a game I was in, Daemon. :p You're trying to taunt me, isn't that so?
zephyrushaku@hotmail.com
Mefix
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:24:46 am »

mefixxx@gmail.com

Dont forget to deadmin people for the duration of the game
BEARD!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:27:27 am »

I played this game when I was in the Alps, excellent fun as long as you have enough peeps. Cheesy

funpackedshowTRIGARDON@SUCKSgooglemail.OSCHOREScom

EDIT: fu hard, bots that be wanting mah email
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:37:46 pm by BEARD! » Logged

Lucky
Newerth Shoutcaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:53:49 am »

Btw I have a question. During day phase, if we will contact via mail, then is it gonna be person->person contact, or maybe person-> all? I think 2nd option is better, so that everybody see what somebody is saying and figure out if he is mafia or citizen.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 12:09:58 pm »

Btw I have a question. During day phase, if we will contact via mail, then is it gonna be person->person contact, or maybe person-> all? I think 2nd option is better, so that everybody see what somebody is saying and figure out if he is mafia or citizen.

During the days, the only person you're allowed to e-mail to is to the Mod (me). You know, to ask questions about stuff you don't understand, how you role works, etc. Nothing else, not even mafia members are allowed to communicate with one another.

During the nights, if you're a villager, and you have a special role, with night-time abilities, you can only send me the target by e-mail, you're also forbidden to contact others. If you're one of the mafia group, you can discuss all you want, using "REPLY ALL", including me in the recipient list. You can talk about who to attack, what strategy to use during the day, who you target with other special abilities, anything.

The game will not be played with e-mail, but simply by posting in the game thread during the day. Topic is locked during the nights.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:12:30 pm by Daemon » Logged

UnSaFe
Lifetime fan of Crom
Newerth Donator

ex-troll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:26 pm »

I'm in!

[edit]Need your e-mail address, Unsafe[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:51:29 pm by Daemon » Logged

BEARD!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 01:44:16 pm »

The villagers/[...] are not allowed to communicate with anybody except the moderator (me, Daemon).

Isn't part of the fun the wild speculation between everyone?

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 02:15:22 pm »

The villagers/[...] are not allowed to communicate with anybody except the moderator (me, Daemon).

Isn't part of the fun the wild speculation between everyone?

The game will not be played with e-mail, but simply by posting (discussing, voting etc.) in the game thread during the day. Topic is locked during the nights. Only the technical stuff will be done by e-mail, like asking the mod questions about own roles, sending night targets, and of course, the mafia night time chatter.

UnnamedNewbie(20)
Official Newerth.com Troll

Z0MG INVITE FOR MY! I POOR FAMALY NEED DOTA MONEY

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 04:59:25 pm »

Even if my aim is ~20 players, I reserve my right to refuse known [...] cheaters.

Players (5)
Lucky
Winterfresh
Hakugei
Mefix
Beard

Players (5)
Hakugei
Mefix
Beard

Players (5)
Mefix

Quote from: Trigardon
what am I know? A stupid asshole? Always been.
Quote from: Tjens
very ncie sig
Quote from: a ! M b O T*
//offtopic rly nice sig newbi lol
Quote from: UnSaFe
I intended to make the same sig[/
Mefix
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 05:17:46 pm »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:20:34 pm by Mefix » Logged
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 06:17:21 pm »

Also, you would benefit from taking a look at some older games, like:
http://www.romafiaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613 .

Check the example that Daemon linked. It shows you mafia in action. (You don't have to read all 8 pages. :p)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: