This looks harder than savage imo, worth trying out? Would a veteran savage player be good at this? looks a lot quicker paced.
Ofc you can be good there. But to be good there you need such as
- good aim (since it is much quicker you need to aim and shoot much faster than in savage)
- learn how to strafe there
- map knowledge / item placement (if you will play mods where you need to pick up weapons and armor)
- 'how to' use rocket jumps (if you will play in mods like ClanArena - it has no self and team dmg).
My personal opinion is:
1. InstaCTF - awesome mod for a teamplay + self aim train. You dont spent your time in searching for weapons because all the time when you spawn you get a railgun. This mod is 1 shot - 1 kill (insta). I remember when there were full servers all the time with this mod. Nearly all server are empty now. All because of that they locked map change in the past.
2. Since InstaCTF rip atm I'm playing only in CA (clan arena) mod. Mod with 2 teams. No team dmg, no self dmg. No spending time in searching for weapons/armor. Since self dmg is off - you can rocket jump and that makes game much more faster and more interesting to play (more harder but more interesting.)
CA is feeling fine atm. Servers are always full. Its ez to find a server that is about to start a game. You don't spend your time in the warmup for ages. Etc. Ofc you can get some noobs in your team an so on.
+ I still think that quake 3 arena (rip) = quake live (this) is still the best online shooter that was ever made. Because it needs a real skill
If you need good graphics - get cod or bf or w/e