Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 08:57:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189877 Posts in 10981 Topics by 18415 Members
Latest Member: afodfdfgdgre
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  It's time for a big patch - XR 1.3!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's time for a big patch - XR 1.3!  (Read 39157 times)
Necrophiliac
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 02:48:12 pm »

Can't be fucked to post it 3 different areas. Ignore balance changes then, they'll most likely be ignored even in the new area.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:50:17 pm by Necrophiliac » Logged

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »

With regards to votes, the following suggestions:
/callvote lastmap for stonerflashbacks
and the obvious /callvote happy birthday  (that bans djinghis and cumway for 24hours)

Other than that, further RPG elements would maybe keep newcomers around for longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSS5xn_0fc

Alright same map - Here we go!

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 02:59:56 pm »

Ignored. Make a proper case where these things can be discussed, not lazy, half-baked one liners! Link in front page post.

Let's be honest here. If he does waste his time in writing several paragraphs of obvious, it'll still be ignored, just like my monologue on healers was. The obvious effects of slowing down a sac rush are obvious, the unobvious ones will only come out during playtesting. Probably nerfing sac rush would slightly buff chem rush, which would be an added bonus. The balance of a few specific maps would change in unpredictable ways, but that's unavoidable with any large change. e

I'd still do it my way though and make it require level 2 instead of switching the items. With countless games played where level 2 was gotten before sac, I'd say sac rush would still be strong enough. And this way we don't have to worry about the effects of earlier than before firewards.

This change has huge upsides I already mentioned in my earlier post. If it does have downsides, no one will know them before they come up in regular play. The beneficial effects of the change are obvious enough that it should be tested.

edit:

I re-read that monologue I linked to. The player base moving from Kingdom (where shimmying is possible) to Pulse (where it's not) gave chaps one role. They can heal otherwise unreachable shields. On Kingdom those shields were usually reachable with shimmying so that wasn't needed. It's still sad Chaps are a very bad option for anything else, but at least the unit serves some purpose now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:06:12 pm by KingKong_ » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:50 pm »

This thread is for obvious improvement, bugs, glitches that only need reporting. Balance changes need discussions of their own, not 200 pages or random garbage.

There haven't been any patches in like 2 years but now there will be, and we're gonna pick up where we left off with balance changes too.

And for the last damn time, balance changes ard discussed, tweaked and voted by a comitee of people in Newerth Council, like myself, Gridfon, DJ, Darkbread, Groentjuh, Tirza, Shagroth, Stringer, Valli etc. THEY NEED TO HAVE ALL THE TALKS AND ALL THE DATA ABOUT A GIVEN SUBJECT IN A CLEAN, READABLE FORM.

Everyone has a mind of their own. If you want your resons to be reviewed, understood and adopted, post where and how it matters. Otherwise, just complain.

P.S. New stuff it's all mine, no council, thank god Smiley.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:57:26 pm by Daemon » Logged

Urien

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 03:56:30 pm »

On savage resurrection, there was the feature where what ever the commander clicks on a location or building, all units that was selected by the commander would see a green path showing where they needed to go.

Is there something like that in XR? I found it really useful in Rez.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 04:02:27 pm »

On savage resurrection, there was the feature where what ever the commander clicks on a location or building, all units that was selected by the commander would see a green path showing where they needed to go.

Is there something like that in XR? I found it really useful in Rez.

There is building and unit marking for both comm and officers, which is visible from anywhere but shows no green path but green arrows Smiley.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 04:20:18 pm »

Having a green line showing from where to where they're going would be one nice feature tho!

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:37 pm »

Having a green line showing from where to where they're going would be one nice feature tho!
What if it goes through enemy base?

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »

-There's a specific, albeit quite random icon that clanless stats display all over the place: in the Stats page, in Shoutbox chat, in map feedback panel and some other places ingame. Looks like the game doesn't know there's people w/o tags so it just grabs the last one it found, something like that.
I vaguely remember this happening before already; didn't I fix that? Grin
What happened? Does anyone know when this started (again)? Huh

-Auth problem probably means that certain players cannot authenticate. For some, changing that 25 port to something else might be a solution.
If that's what he means, DJ/Groent needs contacting, and in return they may need to tell me what (if) they need changed from my side.

-He prolly means that mute/kick is not persistent if players reconnect, getting new clientID.
Reconnected players don't receive a new clientid, and mutes/kicks are stored (since a long time already).
A way around it is, obviously, reconnecting with a different IP or account.
So is that meant then?

-[...]something along the lines of "disallow multiple clients of the same machine, install, account AND IP". Meaning that you should not be able to connect with more clients, to spy on the enemy, to influence votes etc.
I vaguely remember coding something for that concerning multiple voters.
I might take a look in general, but I'm uncertain if restricting it completely is worth the cost.

He probably means having some sort of a list that refs can open and see what other players have reported with something like /report player_name reason.
Is /report an actual thing? Because it's certainly not an XR addition, which would imply it's handled via python server scripts made by server admins themselves. And that, in return, means I can't improve upon that feature.
So please tell me more. Smiley And if server admins want it shipped as an official XR patch, inform me about it.
Unless you're just saying it would be nice IF such a thing existed, in which case I may consider it.

Quote from: Groentjuh
If you're on a 3 or 4 team map and call a shuffle vote it might be get stuck when you have teams * n + (teams - 2) players, because it cannot figure out how many players each team should have or something like that
Something like 4 players on 3 teams is 2 players each and 1 team with 1 player Tongue
It results in a infinite loop of shuffling players... 100% cpu usage and killing of the proces will get the server back Sad
I rather have it segfault and restart Cheesy
Got it, I'll take a look.

I think consistently but I will check on that.
The more concrete information I receive, the more likely I can reproduce it, test it, track it down, and ultimately fix it.
It sounds like an annoying bug.

Concerning bugs, fixing the one linked below would open a lot of cool possibilities for map making.
http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=2599
I can't promise much, as dynamic objects was Mohican's baby.
I'll keep it in mind in case I run out of other tasks to complete.

All "refset team 2" turn into "refset team 1" in the object file. I'm not exactly sure at what point this change happens, but I suspect it's when you load a map in the editor. If you place a team 2 building (can be anything, arcana for example) and save the map, it stays a team 2 building. But when you edit the map again later, it's ownership has turned to team 1.
That is certainly annoying, but the Editor is old and outdated in general.
I've barely ever touched it, so we'll see what can be done.

Original version of the map on devworld had perfect dynamic sound effects.
!exec target client "spawneffect _oxygensound_ #gs_object_posx# #gs_object_posy# #gs_object_posz#"

that works on devworld but does not work on Groentjuh's Kingdom server

If that one gets fixed, map-makers could play custom sound effects in situations that calls for them. This would make all kinds of different gameplay features possible, not just underwater effects.
That's because the "spawneffect" command is client-side only; effects are entirely client-side and servers neither have the commands nor even run any effects. It's not the server's fault and is completely unrelated to Groentjuh's Kingdom - this will be the same on every server.
Sounds like a worthwhile request, but do be aware that it's not a small task since this isn't a bug in the first place - it's an entirely new feature.

Different color/texture variations dynamic objects. I'm specifically thinking about the boulders, which only come in a mossy texture.
Are you up for it, Daemon? Grin

And you're wrong. I was checking human_fluxgun.object and it says:
"objSet staminaDrain 0.000000"
Trig, that objSet manages the RABID effect. Afro S2Games' atrocious naming sense has fooled you.
Either they wanted it to be a drain and never finished it, or they could have benefitted from a dictionary or two.
You'll notice a lot of inconsistencies in S2's naming sense, like beast_immolate (for Sacrifice), beast_medic (for Shaman), beast_fire_trap (for Fire Ward), beast_protect (for Storm Shield), beast_vampire (for Carnivorous) JUST to name a few.
This includes properties and cvars as well, if you were to go looking for them.
I haven't renamed it to something more appropriate because it would be a huge hassle to make sure every .object file is adjusted accordingly (if I forget something, it breaks) and then also ensure that certain names are not hardcoded as well.
Also, it's called staminaDrain in states as well, but has the same NOT draining effect.
...oh and, you know, the fact that it's set to 0.0 means that it's not active. Rolleyes

same goes for repeater. Now you tell me all weapons have stamina regen disable which is simply wrong in my eyes. And this is exactly why it's a bug

EDIT: was checking server files, the .object files are 1:1 - it is NOT the staminadrain but something else that is buggy.
I actually mentioned this multiple times in the past, as this is a recurring mistake flux-haters make. Grin
But the truth is, it's not a bug as it was coded intentionally.
Flux just is really annoying to fight against, so people keep finding new reasons to complain about it.
It's not a bugfix, it's a major rebalancing request. Wink
Remove stamina interrupt from all weapons (or even attacks) is the first step.

* Merge forum and game authentication (it looks like auth comes to newerth anywhos, so one db which would allow account recovery would be sweet)
 * TLS on the forum / login Wink!
That would be lovely! But totally out of my area of expertise. I'll add it to the list, maybe I'll feeling masochistic. Grin

* There is a bug which has been around since the dawn of time where occasionally the spawn gui will freeze, and you cant see your load out, usually happens after requesting gold, so you change your load out but your screen stays with what you had before
This doesn't ring a bell, and I have been around since the dawn of time. :p
I'll try to reproduce it, but any additional information would be helpful.

they introduced this teleport system for beast/human to use which was a prolonged reloc. I thought it was a nice feature, however I dont think such a change would be made in this game.
I'm certain something of similar calibre could be added, but this may require a Rebalance discussion (and that tends to require a thread there, first) for the Newerth Council. I'm not for nor against this, currently.

Balance
-Make incinerator and chaos bolt more useful.
-Reduce ammo of flux.
-Change the positions of sac and fireward in tech slot to slow down sacs
-Reduce Health of groot tree
-Would still like to see something done about buffs, whether it be reducing the power of t1 buffs or slow down the buff refill.
As Daemon said, these things are beyond my scope to decide, so they will require Rebalancing posts.
And as he also said, it was stagnant for a long time because there weren't going to be any patches.
Now is exactly the time to get those discussed, considered, and even patched in.

New stuff
-Add to steam, which leads me onto removing all copyrighted material from the game.
- Finish and implement the stat icons that eXZeth has been working on. This should remove copyrighted image that are there.
Yes, Steam would be nice.
-Customisation for units(Although Daemon has already said no to this, still think it would be good idea for community mods)
Daemon didn't say no to community mods, he said that implementing a Custom Items Shop is not feasible due to certain issues.

-Donation button
There used to be one, until it had to be taken down due to uh...let's call it "politics".

-Maybe change the outdated title and server browser background with something new. Always like the animated ones, however you there should be an option to revert back the the old one.
Like into what?

-Maybe the map editor into savage, or give it a button to start the program
Sure.

-There was a few new voice commands that SOMA found in the files. Would like to see them implemented somewhere, especially "I'm in position"
I'll leave that up to Daemon's discretion, and stick around for assistance if need be.

- Any new props for map editor is always a big plus.
I agree, but someone has to actually make them first. Sad

Big Fixes
-There's an annoying bug that occurs on 4 team maps. When a team is about to lose they will call a concede vote, if that teams dies before the concede has had time to finish it will carry over to the next team causing them to lose. This is if the vote was going to pass.
Haha, that's funny. Seems like the 3/4 team feature has plenty of issues in general.

-Would like to see 32x32 maps fixed.
What's actually broken?

-Fix collision boxes on most props, a player being able to hide in rocks just seems broken.
I thought Daemon already fixed many/all props, which ones aren't?

-Behe swing animation not showing.
I can take another look, but it seemed too random to test.

-When on the team selection page, a bug happens where the play button seems to stop working, so you need to click menu for the game to actually play.
When and how does this happen?

With regards to votes, the following suggestions:
/callvote lastmap for stonerflashbacks
What? Smiley For the ones too lazy to type /callvote restartmatch or call the same map again?

Other than that, further RPG elements would maybe keep newcomers around for longer.
Like what?

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 05:23:21 pm »

Requesting Stat fix;

Jumps are not registered in stats - they should be.

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »

Make it (hopefully) Steam ready!

drk
Community Serveradmin
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 07:36:55 pm »

1. My old  wish: rebuild demo rec-view system. Make a possibility for camera scripting. This would be aswesome for make good movies for promoting the game. But since I don't know the code I guess that it could be too hard to do it.
2. More possibilities for refs to control/monitor the game. For example to mute/kick with an additional params (like 'time untill', 'reason'). Bindings to guid, etc.
3. Some kind of the custom votes (something more than msg/world). It could be done with the help of the python and msg parsing but that's not it.
4. I want more gs_transmits  Smiley
5. Also I'd suggest some kind of 'elo' ranking and future shufflings that will be depending from elos.

Ale

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 08:34:02 pm »

Reproduce reloc bug:

Join humans, buy a relocator, place the relocator, relocate and hold the right mouse button (you can also press it again right after relocating and hold it)

I just tested it for all units. Your unit will now be frozen in its moving animation though its equipment (melee weapon, squad flags, etc) is still moving as you walk around. Releasing the right mouse button solves the problem. You do not have to switch to another weapon/item to be able to fight again.

Another bug which annoys me personally:

As I recently have to get along with a really bad internet connection, the only thing i can do most of the time is commanding. When I command with a bad ping and try to place a building, it often gets rejected. I have to place the same building several times until it is actually appears on the map. If you could do anything about that I'd be quite grateful.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:15:52 pm by Ale » Logged
Ulquiorra
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 10:06:59 pm »

* Merge forum and game authentication (it looks like auth comes to newerth anywhos, so one db which would allow account recovery would be sweet)
 * TLS on the forum / login Wink!
That would be lovely! But totally out of my area of expertise. I'll add it to the list, maybe I'll feeling masochistic. Grin

Which one Smiley, For the first it looks liek the python class doesnt have TLS support, https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/basehttpserver.html, boo, could replace the server with apache / nginx and have a CGI script,

For the second, does your python act as the auth server or just as a man in the middle which talks to S2's auth sever? Im not familar with the back end Smiley, if its talking to yours, it would be easy! Just would need to query the site's DB, compute the hash and compare Cheesy (I do python nowadays so am willing to help out with anything i can ^,^)

* There is a bug which has been around since the dawn of time where occasionally the spawn gui will freeze, and you cant see your load out, usually happens after requesting gold, so you change your load out but your screen stays with what you had before
This doesn't ring a bell, and I have been around since the dawn of time. :p
I'll try to reproduce it, but any additional information would be helpful.

Ill see if i can trigger Smiley

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 01:42:01 am »

Requesting Stat fix;
Jumps are not registered in stats - they should be.
What's actually "broken" and thus in need of a fix?

1. My old  wish: rebuild demo rec-view system. Make a possibility for camera scripting. This would be aswesome for make good movies for promoting the game. But since I don't know the code I guess that it could be too hard to do it.
Sounds worthwhile, but that might take a while, so stay tuned until I get a chance to look at it.

2. More possibilities for refs to control/monitor the game. For example to mute/kick with an additional params (like 'time untill', 'reason'). Bindings to guid, etc.
Give me a full list of ideas and everyone else, especially server admins, are allowed to pitch in, too!

3. Some kind of the custom votes (something more than msg/world). It could be done with the help of the python and msg parsing but that's not it.
Like what? Smiley

4. I want more gs_transmits  Smiley
There are not enough...? Smiley

5. Also I'd suggest some kind of 'elo' ranking and future shufflings that will be depending from elos.
Isn't ELO (or any other rating system) kind of pointless without a matchmaking system and enough players to actually be categorized accordingly? Wink

[...]
Join humans, buy a relocator, place the relocator, relocate and hold the right mouse button (you can also press it again right after relocating and hold it)
[...]
Thank you, I'll have a look.

As I recently have to get along with a really bad internet connection, the only thing i can do most of the time is commanding. When I command with a bad ping and try to place a building, it often gets rejected. I have to place the same building several times until it is actually appears on the map. If you could do anything about that I'd be quite grateful.
I don't know if there's much I can do about that; I believe this has been the case for a long time now.
I'll add it to the bottom of the list to look at nearing the end, at least.

For the second, does your python act as the auth server or just as a man in the middle which talks to S2's auth sever?
S2 has abandoned Savage a long time ago, bit by bit reducing their support.
Newerth has been picking up the pieces equally, bit by bit.
Most everything, if not all, (you'd have to ask DJ and Groent for more info) is managed and hosted by Newerth itself.
There are certain improvements that can be made, but access is quite limited (for safety reasons).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:35:29 am by Hakugei » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: