Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 07, 2020, 07:45:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189971 Posts in 10997 Topics by 18478 Members
Latest Member: CharlesErons
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  Simple HUD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simple HUD  (Read 22809 times)
Crashday
XR Coder

soundcloud.com/bernhardfritz

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:16:18 pm »

Most recent version of Simple HUD is attached.
Or download HERE

This version is ready to be used ingame. You can download it and simply place it in your "SavageXR/game" directory.
Ingame go to your options (game tab) and switch to a HUD named "Simple". Enjoy!

Spoiler (Mouse-Over to read)
Hey guys!
Imo Savage's HUD is overloaded. Especially the first/third-person view should be minimal. What if we could manage to improve it? Change/remove certain elements. For example look at the hud here:

This hud was made after the video was recorded, though it looks really nice to me. Maybe too minimalistic but it's a nice template.

I'm not sure if I'm able to create a full HUD by myself (already had a lot of struggle working on the clan gui), but maybe we can do it all together.

Let's look at this screenshot:

Some ideas i want to share:
The chatbox doesn't necessarily need a frame does it? Maybe we should only display the frame if the chat is open (when pressing T). As a side note: Opening chat with T doesn't seem default behaviour in most games. Players are used to open chat with ENTER.

The biggest downside with the default ui are all those frames around the ui elements and the lack of semi-transparent elements. But there is another ui theme integrated in savage which solves most of these problems (i think its called smoke arcade gui):

This one has no frames and even has semi-transparent elements. But it's not perfect. I think we can even do more!

Here an example from a game called Path of Exile:
Chat open:

Chat closed:

Another thing. Savage's chatbox lacks some cool features like being able to actually click links. Even minecraft offers this functionality:

What do you think about savage's gui. Can we improve it? What would you expect from a new modern minimalistic gui?

* savage9.s2z (43.45 KB - downloaded 172 times.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:06:04 pm by Crashday » Logged

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:27:39 pm »

Trust me when i tell you, adding a new HUD is such a pain in the ass that i for one, won't do it. And would take a long time for someone else to grasp all those things needed to be changed in order for it to work so it's not looking good.

The other problem is that Savage does lack widget flexibility. It has like bars and numbers and that's pretty much it. Hard to make all those fancy or minimalistic HUDs, no matter how many or great the ideas are.

Also, you're pointing out to the Arcade HUD and calling it Smoke with semi-transparent elements which is wrong on 2 accounts.

1. This is the Smoke HUD:

2. You can even customize the fuzzy 'smoke' elements' transparency.

It may not be pretty, but it's surely minimalistic Cheesy

Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »

thx for pointing that out daemon. fixed in main thread. yes i already figured it would be a lot of work. but i will work on it every now and then.
is the rmod still around? it had these horizontal life and stamina bars. maybe we can reuse them in a new hud.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »

They're nothing special. Horizontal bars are easily made and customized, just look at SH/Lair health or the mana bar.

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:13:27 pm »

daemon implemented some really good small bars some time ago, if you use the mixed bars and custom or something. don't remember 100%

however if its possible to remove everything but that, you would be my personal hero

edit:
Crosshair info : mixed is what im talking about
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:26:21 pm by Shagroth » Logged

Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:59 am »

I created a design preview.

Some thoughts:
Redstone, gold, lair, fps and ping information will be placed in TAB menu. It isn't that important to be present all the time.

Yellow bar is experience.

Mana/ammo bar will probably be overlayed on 2nd slot, unless someone got a better idea.

@Shag: At first I will try to implement my idea. Then if possible I can make it customizable.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:27:30 am »

I've made a blue icon to replace the rejuvenate buff/strata icon since the old one was too much like mana. It is currently set for that particular buff and it should prolly replace the purple icon in all HUDs too.

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:38:39 am »

Something just as important as HP and stamina is missing on the HUD:

the game time, or better:
a counter for the respawn cycle (counts down from 30 to 0)

If you are stupid enough to die when it's at 30 you wait 30 seconds to respawn, if you die at 0 you got no respawn time at all.
If you kill the enemy at 30 you made them playing with one less for 30 seconds. If you are stupid enough to kill him at 0 he'll be right back to win the game.

Just because I'm the only one paying attention to this doesn't make it less important.  Afro

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:15:40 am »

Don't forget Tirza if you try to benefit your team by delaying a kill past the zero mark, you slow yourself down and reduce your prospects for that sweet sweet sadist.

Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:36:41 pm »

Did some slight modifications.

violet is mana / will be yellow for human
blue is experience
added personal gold information

@Tirza: time is shown right beside chat

@Daemon: staminaicon is now blue

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:14 pm »

Looks good, but still, one is still required to glance at all 4 corners of the screen, even if elements are smaller. Or perhaps even because of that it may still take more time to focus. Why not moving the minimap at the bottom left corner and the buff panel at the right bottom corner, either at the left or at the right of the inventory panel? That'll offer more info by looking at only 2 corners.

Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 01:05:34 pm »

I feel like structuring information seems to be the way to go.

Top left: server information (what map is played, who joins the game, who scores a kill)
Top right: team information (only buff information is needed in first-/third-person mode)
Bottom left: chat + time (every theme had time near chat, players are already used to this schema)
Bottom right: information about the player itself

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:28:30 pm »

in my perspective(one eye) its extremely important to keep all vital info in the middle of the screen as that's where I always want my focus to be. this info is only good if it can be kept at a level where its barely noticeable but still easily readable.

info on the sides could be info I never need in a fight where my only aim is to stay alive or hit my opponent.

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:23 pm »

Important for me is that all relevant elements are together, preferably in the middle.

Main bars are: Health, Stamina and Gametime (with a respawn counter), ammo, gold and Levels are shown as numbers. Chat doesn't need to be especially highlighted.

Click to enlarge:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:41:41 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Crashday
XR Coder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:14:15 pm »

ok seems to be a good idea to gather all important information in the middle!
i like tirzas hud. seems really minimalistic. but the game time as a bar is a bit confusing to me. i get it that it's important to kill enemies in a way that they have to wait as long as possible in respawn, but this is only important in clanwars to my knowledge.
having level as numbers without bars is a great idea. also mana/ammo as number is great!
chat without box also nice.

Another thing which popped into my mind. why do we have to display the minimap. it's not needed all the time. we could display it in tab menu for example. mentioning all players in spec isn't that important during game. we could use that space for minimap.

let me summarize:
  • all elements should be preferable in the middle
  • level, mana/ammo, gold and buff information only needs numbers (no bars)
  • chat needs no box around it
  • team redstone and gold information is not necessary and can be placed in tab menu
  • minimap is not that important to be in hud all the time and can be placed in tab menu
  • clock information is important for clanwars (bars might not be necessary)
(let me know if i forgot to mention something, or if i got something wrong)

the question is where should we position all the elements and in which order?

i think chat should definetly be positioned bottom left. i have seen it in various other games. it seems to be default.

not sure where to put gold, mana, time, buff information.

health, stamina, items definetly in middle.

also, today i looked in ui related script files. it seems really confusing, but i think it's possible. maybe someone can share his/her experience with savage widget scripts, would be really helpful!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: