Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2022, 09:37:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
190132 Posts in 11016 Topics by 18640 Members
Latest Member: MrCnR
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  Map Layout - Just one more way.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Map Layout - Just one more way.  (Read 4011 times)
Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:01 pm »

This came up in another thread...

Open a new map, plop whatever base texture you plan on using, paint the whole thing 50/50/50 gray, turn off your fog, set farclip to 19283672087, and look down at your map square from above.

Then, take the paint tool with the single point brush.  At this point you can be really anal and paint out your layout one point at a time and make extremely symmetrical maps, or just kinda sketch it on there.  I use straight red.  You might end up with something that looks like this. ------------------.
                                                                              V

Here's what it looks like at map-level.

Then you just run around in your designated areas with your favorite brush and flatten it to whatever you need it to be for height.

At this point I added a little more interest by raising the area between by 75.

I ran around the tops of the hills with the raise/lower tool (mostly just raise) kind of randomly to make it look more natural than the buzzcut it had.  I also smoothed the ends of my 75 section.

Next up, slap on a rock texture for the walls, and a little dirt for the well-beaten path up the middle.  Don't forget to take the single-point brush and erase around the edges of any layer-2 texture area that comes near another layer 2 texture.  Make sure it gets rid of any jaggies where the textures meet an edge.

Somewhere around here you can get rid of those ugly-arse red lines.

Nature shows itself.  These trees suck, but it's just a tut and I only spent 3 minutes on this part so who cares.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put shading under all of your objects on the ground.  Yeah, there's sun, but it doesn't really do the trick.  This is what really makes your map look like a real place.  I drop my paint to about 20's, favoring one or two colors a little bit to give it some flavor if you want your map to feel a little warmer or a little cooler.  Use a pretty low brush strength... like 5%.

Similarly, find your sunny spots and lay down some sun.  you can see I made it a bit yellowish with higher red/green values.  I used a little bigger brush, still really low strength.

That's all folks.  It doesn't do the work for you like a heightmap, but I found that when I used heightmaps I ended up doing more cleanup work after-the-fact than it was worth.  This just lets you organize your thoughts on the map itself.  A little red paint goes a long way.

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:23:48 pm »

You should read my method in the tut I recently put out. It is quite similar, but is a massive time saver because of a clever exploitation of the flatten tool.

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,10973.0.html

Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:39 pm »

That is pretty schnazzy.  We're basically doing the same thing, only in reverse of each other.  Grin

The main reason I started using the outline was for my map xr_amazon.  http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=1840  I actually went around point-by-point to make it all symmetrical with red line, then went through the height process.  It took a while, but the results are very consistent.
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:31:41 pm »

That is pretty schnazzy.  We're basically doing the same thing, only in reverse of each other.  Grin

The main reason I started using the outline was for my map xr_amazon.  http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=1840  I actually went around point-by-point to make it all symmetrical with red line, then went through the height process.  It took a while, but the results are very consistent.

Yes but the significant difference is the use of right click with the flatten tool. By creating a uniform height for the reachable area of your map, you can effectively lift all the rest of your map in one go, taking a lot of time out of the job. Other than that, its six of one half a dozen of the other.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: