Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 07:29:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188630 Posts in 10884 Topics by 17943 Members
Latest Member: Dawnbringer
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  Looking for a beast trainer..
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for a beast trainer..  (Read 4181 times)
King Crimson

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:29:34 am »

hi, i'm brand new to these forums, and my main reason for signing up was to get help with my beast game.. i have been trained in humans before, and i made the decision to get decent with them before moving on to beasts. now, however, i think that only experience is what will improve my human game, and i am looking for someone to train me in beasts. i will take any kind of training you've got, be it the basics, movement patterns, or a move. i'm from Canada, generally playing on the US public/duel server, so if you see me, feel free to talk to me.
King Crimson
teh Frost
Retired from Savage!
Newerth Donator

Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like mine?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:36:26 pm »

50$ via PayPal and i'll turn you into a monster.

$hacaR
"The Mod Machine"
Newerth Donator

Warr!or 4 EVER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:55:43 pm »

gtfo with ur childish comments...
@Crimson: have you already checked youtube for some pred tutorials ? they help alot =)

King Crimson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:27:34 pm »

=/ who has that much money to spend anymore
and yeah, i've watched the tutorials, but thanks for the direction =)
i'm at a bit of a transition stage i think, somewhere between knowing the basics and beginning to learn slightly more advanced stuff
thanks anyhow shacar =)
CarniWhore
Newerth Donator

chown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:39 pm »

well gl King Crimson, I don't have much to add as I suck but go to duel servers and ask in there, some will ignore you and some will be willing to help.

Apparently it all mouse work and practice, go figure Smiley

Standard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:35:07 am »

ask pple when on the public servers if they wanna duel and usually there is a few pple that are bored of the game goin and will go.  try to find somebody you know is good and they will usually help you/give tips while dueling. 
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:56 am »

Spectate good players.... demo record them.... try to emulate them. Use npc's to work out the basics of the manouver and then practice it on a live human. Rinse and repeat.

King Crimson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:29:29 am »

@standard, thanks for the help  Smiley unfortunately, US duel server is pretty much dead. only at night sometimes are there 4+people
@aneurysm, thanks as well, i just figured out how to work a demo from a mac intel, gonna look at a few guides
nice community savage has eh?
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:49:19 am »

nice community savage has eh?

Oh absolutely charming, to be sure.

Just to expand slightly on my last post. The key to becoming a strong beast meleer is in my opinion is establishing strong fundamentals. When you break beast melee down, it is really just a couple of basic moves that are used in a range of combinations. Identify these basic moves, then practice them over and over until you have a high level of control and precision. At this point, it is then just a matter of allowing your imagination room to breathe for unexpected combos and then being a good reader of your opposition. I think too often people assume its just a matter of learning a trick and then relying on it to repeatedly defeat your enemy. Conversely, good meleers in this game use fakes and deceptions to force their enemy into revealing their intended reaction, then adjust their offense accordingly. Being reactively aware of your opponents will quickly allow you to realise that there are two types of humans. Those who try to predict the hit of a beast, and those who try to use their reflexes to follow the attack. A decent beast meleer will reconise these signs and respond accordingly....or just bounce off all their blocks (I kid)

Finally, never make the mistake of thinking that dueling practice is a substitute for real game time experience. The dueling arena is a fantastic way to consolidate the basics, but be aware that it can be the cause of bad habits too. Many "duelists" become handicapped in a real game because their melee strategy in duels discounts both the use of ranged weaponry and multiple targets.

Like most things in life, becoming a good savage player is largely about practice. But its important to practice the good habits not the bad ones. Without being disrepectful to the masses, it is often only bad advice you learn from average players. Therefore, try your best to secure advice from the goods and greats, not the average joe's. Everyone has an opinion, and I am not suggesting that just because a player is not a god ingame, doesn't mean they have nothing of value to offer. I am only suggesting that rather than getting yourself into bad habits early, try to get yourself into good habits early. If veterans are being reluctant with advice, as I said earlier, demo record while you spectate them and watch it later on. Watching is a really great way of learning in this game....

Anyway, that should do you for now,

Good luck

Zyxoma
Newerth Shoutcaster

Orange EyE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:54:32 am »

Watching is a good way, but in my opinion its to boring to do so  Rolleyes
Just playing pub games is also a good way to learn about strategy and item/weapon usage is really important too.

If you spectate good players , dont just watch how they kill enemy's but also what items/weapons they use, how they react to orders and what tactics they use to make the game turn their side.

I learned it pretty much only by playing normal games. When you reach a point in normal games you feel like getting stuck, you can do a few things.
-you can go to duel servers and try to improve melee performance (this also goes for humans)
  if you join a duel server there will mostly be beast there, so its easy to get your practice as human (a good human is more usefull then 2 or 3 preds)
-take a break every once in a while (dont play to much and if you feel like getting bored just take a few weeks off), once you get back to play you will have a fresh start with new insights, which allows you to learn the game in a better way
-you can go spectate people  Tongue

But i mostly recommend to just play and learn it by trial and error , and if you demo record yourself you can always look back and see what you did wrong or the other did right. Although i find watching demo's a bit boring, it can be usefull  Afro
McNasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:20:13 am »

Very nicely put Aneurysm, honestly.  King Crimson, I play often in the Leet USA public server, and I would consider myself to be a very seasoned dueler; both on humans and beasts.  I have been playing savage frequently for several years now, and if there is anyone who is qualified to show you a thing or two on beast melee, I am that guy.  PM me in game if you'd like some training.  What name do you use in game?

1-2-3 you're dead

King Crimson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »

thanks for the posts
@aneurysm, yeah, normally what i would do is go into a pub server, ask if anyone would want to duel, and if a good player agrees, i would just duel them and ask for tips while getting killed, and they would show me what i'm doing wrong. if a mediocre player comes though, its still good practice to test new things against someone who blocks
@marchrisker, yeah i've spectated alot, but unfortunately i see all these great moves, i just don't know how to use them, and the buttonwork for them, etc.. It is nice to see the other aspects of beasts though, like when to use certain items and how to limit their ranged.
@McNasty, yeah, its safe to say your a seasoned dueler =(
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 06:41:26 pm »

Hi King Crimson!

I don't know your current skill level, but a long time ago (2007) I started to produce a beast melee tutorial for new players and I focussed on using precise language and on teaching it in small steps with displaying keys and how to move the mouse. The first part until bouncing will need some revision based on teaching methodic improvements I found out while working with newbies during this and the last year, but is already a good help:
http://www.noobflicks.com/watch/2695/pred_tutorial_test

The bouncing part is just an incomplete draft (also with some failures in the captured pictures: you only need to bunny-hop twice to bounce off a block effectively) but is still worth checking out:
http://www.noobflicks.com/watch/3291/bouncing

After bouncing would come:
- Multileaping
- Advanced Mousework
- Timing
- Real Duels & Game Tips

Afro
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:52:34 pm by Tirza » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
teh Frost
Retired from Savage!
Newerth Donator

Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like mine?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »

gtfo with ur childish comments...

go listen to rap.

Crashbandicoot
Live Or Leave

Are you talking to me?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 06:38:57 am »

i'm too noob for this  Cry

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: