Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2018, 10:59:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189374 Posts in 10973 Topics by 18133 Members
Latest Member: sireno52
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  Iceplane request
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iceplane request  (Read 1523 times)
Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:03:45 pm »

I have been trying to use the iceplane to serve as a replacement for the old water that was in EX2.  However, when I sacle it and fit it where I need it, it disrupts the pathing on my map on nearby terrain, even if it is a good 50-100 units below the terrain.  Can you guys check out the iceplane object and make sure that it doesn't have any stray bounding box or something that could be causing this?  I would think that it is perfectly flat, but it is acting otherwise, where certain parts of it disrupt the pathing more severely, and it acts differently when I turn it upside-down as well. 

Someone from the modeling team have some insight?  Otherwise, do you guys have any plans to implement water as it was in EX2?
Chiprel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:26:54 pm »

I never played ex2. But isnt it possible to make water-alike enviroment by trigger and some custom .effect? Smiley

Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:15:27 am »

The water in EX2 allowed full 3-dimensional movement control in an extremely low-negative-gravity, volume.  I tried to recreate this with scripts but you can't have any up-down control in the air no matter what you do with them.  They must have worked it as an entirely different set of movement physics. 

You moved in whatever direction you looked, as well as having the jump key move you straight up.  My guess is that they used a modified version of the spectator code with acceleration/max speed and adjustable friction for the in-water physics.  I recall there was a p_waterfriction and p_waterspeed, as well as the water_r, g,b, and alpha values (similar to fog) in the editor console.  Could anyone look at trying that? 

In the map editor, you set a water level, say 700 units high.  In-game, at anything below that level, you went into "water mode" movement, and the graphic for the water volume was set out to infinity anything below that on the vertical axis.

Thoughts? XR programmers?
Voldo
Neighbourhood Rangewhore
Super Hero Member

Oh Dear...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:55:35 am »

The only problem with introducing water in this stage is that, to fit in with the professionalist look of the game, you'd need to introduce animations for swimming. I'm all for normal water, but with all the visual enhancement this game has had, it seems a shame to spoil it with waterjumping.

Playability vs Visuals?

Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:12:08 pm »

There was no water "jumping".  The animation while in water was handled as if you were just in mid-air, which looked just fine.  What I said about the spacebar was that you just went straight up... You move the same speed as in any other direction.

To have a functional water volume available to map with would be entirely valuable enough to make up for any lack of paddling animations, imo.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: