Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2018, 01:53:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189431 Posts in 10977 Topics by 18158 Members
Latest Member: rerakefo
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  General Savage XR Discussion
| | |-+  NDL (Newerth Duel(s) Ladder)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NDL (Newerth Duel(s) Ladder)  (Read 40983 times)
JmZ
Teh JmZ
Gameserver Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:19:53 pm »

As the title says we will soon be opening the NDL for signups.

It will be controlled mainly by me but Jag will help also (pingu possibly).

So the question is, before we start this league, how would YOU like it to run?

As it is now, these are the current ideas (feel free to comment on these):
- All duels will be Lego vs Pred unless the duelers agree otherwise
- There will be an EU, USA and AU division
- One map will be chosen for ALL duelers to use
- USA duels will be on leet USA duels

The rules in mind:
- No chatting allowed from anyone who is not dueling at the time
- Nobody must join a team while a NDL duel is running
- All duels must be completed in an event
- If the k/d are even for the two players after reaching the set number of duels they must duel once more to decide the winner

What we want to know from you:
- How many duels per event? (e.g. 20 then switch then 20 more)
- How the overall system will work (e.g. groups or some kind of points system)
- Rule suggestions
- Any other ideas

UPDATE!

The Newerth Duel Ladder

Signing up to the Newerth Duel Ladder: anyone at anytime can sign up to the Newerth Duel Ladder(NDL). All you need to do is go to the sign up section of the NDL and sign in to a valid username and password. This account will be the one you have to fight with. Once you have signed up you will be directed to your User Control Panel where you will need to select the division you will be competing. Once you have selected a division you will be ready to compete.

Player Status: each player will have one of the following status' on the ladder...
Newcomer - player has just joined the ladder and has yet to have any duels.
Neutral - player can challenge another player  or be challenged at any given time.
Challenging - player is currently challenging another player.
Defending - Player has been challenged.
Inactive - Player has set their status to inactive and can not be challenged or challenge another player.

Making a Challenge: you can challenge anyone on the ladder from 5 places below you to anyone in front of you. However when challenging someone who is more then 15 places in front of you they can simply "pass". When you make a challenge your status will be set to "Challenging" and the person who you are challenging will have their status set to "Defending". You now just wait for the response from the defender. They have to respond within 5 days or you will be awarded a win and they will be awarded a loss.

Defending a Challenge: when you have been challenged you will be given the following options...
Accept - you choose to accept the challenge and insert a preferred date.
Forfeit - you choose to forfeit your points to the challenger and your status is returned to neutral.
Pass - you can only do this if you are more then 15 places above the challenger. If you do pass then nothing will happen.

Agreeing on a time and date: when a challenge is accepted the defender will insert a preferred time/date. The challenger can then accept this time/date or propose a new one. Defender has priority on the date and time. If a date and time can not be agreed on then the match will be treated as a pass.

Requesting a ref: a ladder referee will only attend a match if either the challenger or defender requests one. They will then simply sit in the match and make sure nothing happens that is not supposed to (will go in more detail about this later).

Server to duel: hopefully we can come up with some kind of script which will get a server ready with a password, duel map and duel settings. Also it would be nice if we can make some sort of mod to automatically put players on each side, switch sides at half time and send the results to the ndl. For starters however this will all be done manually.

The actual duels: both players start their demos! Defender will choose which side to start off as. They will choose their unit (anything but siege). Challenger will then choose the opposite team, choose their unit and get ready to fight. The unit you start off with is the one you use throughout the whole match! There will be X duels in total (X because it can be different for each division). Half of which will be played and then we have half time. Players must then note their kills as that race. There then is the option for a short break and then the players swap sides and fight the second half. The winner is determined by the person with the higher score at the end. If they are the same then it is a draw. Players must remember their kills as each race for submission into the NDL.

Submitting the results: so we can have more detailed statistics for each player we ask that each player inserts the kills they made as each race. If you do not remember the kills as each race you will have the option to just enter your total kills. The ladder will then take the information from each player and compare, format and entered it into the database if everything is fine. If everything is fine then the win will be noted on the ladder and points gained/lost. If there is a problem then each player will be notified along with the refs.

Handling of points: the way the points system will work is to have defenders hold or lose their position and challengers will either lose positions or gain them. This gets a little complicated however the ladder will do everything automatically and notify players of the points they will gain or lose for each situation.
Challenger wins - challenger will steal 2 points from then defender plus an additional point for every 10 places(rounded to the nearest 10)  the defender is above them.
Defender wins - defender will steal 1 point from the challenger unless the challenger was placed above them in which case the defender will steal 2 points.
Draw - challenger will steal 1 point for every 20 places(rounded down to the nearest 20) the defender was above them.

There will also be a dispute system, finals and other things not mentioned here however this should give you a good insight into what is to come.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:53:23 pm by Jaguar » Logged

You are but a speck of dust in the vastness of space, waiting to meet your end in the reality you created.
jaguar
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:23:09 pm »

We will be deciding the rules ultimately however wanted to get some input from the community first. What we are currently leaning for is a tournament system like the champions league. This would work with a series of groups that battle out for the top x spots and then go through to the next round and so on. One as there is only x amount of players left it will go to a knock out leading up to the finals.

I say x amount because we have no idea of how many people will sign up.
Slime

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:17 pm »

hit me up i am in and sounds good i'd say 20 duels for each race or somtin

Cross
Savage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:45:18 pm »

Well the only problem I got is I don't use legos, in game or for duels.
I also got another question, if you win as human, but lose as beast, how will it be decided who won? Or is it just adding up the total kills to find who the victor is? Which would stink because I don't have a beast game at all haha.

And yeah I agree with 20.

Tournament bracket style is always popular to.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8
jaguar
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »

We are not sure about how anything will work. That is where all of you come in Wink
Slime

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:27 pm »

um if they just play human best out of 20 if they both play each race best out of 40?

AlphaFtw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:11:50 pm »

Pfft. Everyone knows it'll be Java vs thrain in the end. Ego > everything.
jaguar
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:12:42 pm »

Ok. Here is what I think in more detail.

We start off with people signing up. You go to the league page, sign into an in-game account and that's that part done.
After the sign up deadline everyone will be arranged into random groups of 10 players. Group A, B, C etc. Each player in that group will fight each other 6 times as each race meaning 12 matches will occur. At the end of 6 matches there is points handed. Whoever has the most wins gets 3 points, whoever has least gets 0 points. And if it is a draw then each player gets 1 point. Scores are reset and the remaining 6 matches are played and then points handed out again. If the same player wins both races he gets a bonus point.
After every player has played each other (9 rounds) the top 6 players of each group will randomly go into new groups of 6 in which this all happens again and the top 2 of each goes through to the knock out (note that a second or maybe even third round with groups will only occur if we have the numbers otherwise we will go straight to the next step).
The knock out will consist of 8 players (or 2 groups of 8 if we have lots of players). 1st plays 4th, 2nd plays 3rd, 5th plays 8th, 6th plays 7th. The two winners of the top 4 are into the semis and have a bi. The losers of the top 4 get a second chance and play the winners of the bottom 4 of which whoever wins gets into the semis. The losers of the bottom 4 are out. The losers of the semis are out and the winners go into a final. If there are 2 groups then the winner of each final goes into the grand final otherwise the winners are simply the winners.

This is a bit confusing but I know how it works so it could easily be done this way.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:15:57 pm by Jaguar » Logged
jaguar
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:20:34 pm »

The way I have said points work with getting points after 6 rounds is up for suggestions. Just have points for the person who wins overall? Want to have bonus points somehow as well. So say if you win all matches you get a bonus point??
Slime

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 11:22:30 pm »

hmm i dunno about bonus other then that i am so confused i'm stupid sorry. i will go with the flow  Afro

jaguar
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:25:24 pm »

Spoke to OzzO and we will ditch the bonus Wink
Just a simple comp with 12 matches played and points given at end. In a knockout match if it is a draw then it goes off the k/d of all matches.
Spung
Aimbot Extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 12:08:07 am »

All I know is Jaguar just confused the living twat out of me...

I always thought a dueling league should be like the old SGL, just like a running ladder...where players can challenge the guy 3 (or whatever) spots above his/her position and if the lower ranked person wins, he/she takes the rank of the person he/she just beat.  Then everyone just gets shifted down etc.  Then when you get to the top spot, you just defend it.  I mean its really not hard to get a dueling match going as its only 1v1, so there shouldn't really be a problem with people having to wait around to challenge etc.  And if the person 3 spots ahead of you has a match pending, just challenge and beat the person 2 spots ahead of you, and then challenge the guy that WAS 4 spots ahead of you, NOW 3 spots ahead of you, and beat that person to move up.  If the challenged person doesnt get their crap together to duel you within iunno 3 days or something, then they automatically forfeit and then 3 forfeits and they're out of the league.  I really like that format of the SGL...and I'm pretty sure this was how NWGL was also.

As far as starting off something like that, iunno, I can't really remember how the teams were placed at the beginning, but really, the best person can make their way to the top eventually to hold and defend the crown of best USA dueler, ya know...if they really are the best dueler.  And if new people want to join they start off @ the bottom of the ladder and work their way up.

Regarding the actual matches, it should just be like 40 total duels, 20 duels on each race, whoever has the most kills after wins...somethin like that etc.  This whole point system tourney thing is blah...cuz then you have to wait for 3 weeks to get another 'season' going, and you get matched up against people who can only play one day a week @ 7am

Also...wouldn't be me if I didn't point out that no matter what the rules, I'd win etc. etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:10:31 am by Spung » Logged

Are you a fan of Spung?  Put this in your sig today!
jaguar
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:45 am »

Yeah was thinking about doing it like that as well. It would however require me to do around 3 times the amount of coding so I didn't think to hard about it ;p

Artie J
Aus ftw :D

Leader of ReS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 01:21:53 am »

Would be great to have all 3 major parts of the world playing against each other, but I guess we have to split it in divisions.

Cross
Savage

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 01:31:20 am »

Anyway I could be designated Savage? I'll even give the opponent free points to make it fair for me not being beast.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: