Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2018, 08:19:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189435 Posts in 10976 Topics by 18160 Members
Latest Member: nigdarogp
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  Ultima Online: Outlands launching on Oct 27th
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultima Online: Outlands launching on Oct 27th  (Read 784 times)
SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:35:48 pm »

Anyone who has or has not played Ultima Online before should go and check it out. It's one of the best MMORPGs of all time. This specific freeshard (i.e. community developed - much like how Savage has evolved from the original game) has been in development for many years, beta alone has lasted 16 months. The bottom line is it's the most ambitious UO shard that has launched so far.

A ton of information is in the launch announcement below:
http://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/launch-outlands-is-launching-october-27-2018-at-11am-est.652/
APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 01:37:57 pm »

Sounds awesome! I'll check it out when it launches.  Just Mining Da Stone

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 05:20:27 pm »

Awesome, you will not be dissapointed for sure

Did you play UO before?
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 07:40:10 pm »

I installed this and tried the beta. Never played UO before.

Seems like there is quite a bit of learning curve (as you would expect for older games).

Even basics like attacking monsters aren't that straightforward. I took some time to figure out that you have to go in war -mode to be able to target enemies. The confusing part was that, at first, my guy counterattacked monsters in even peace -mode but at some point not anymore. Lesson learned: read some beginner guide first.

Also everything is so tiny on modern high resolution screens. For example small gold piles and daggers in inventory are like 2x1 mm in size. So you have to be very accurate with your mouse Cheesy Simply double-clicking to loot gold piles doesn't seem to work. You gotta first drag the pile, then click ok to take all X pieces and then you can put it to your backpack. Pretty bothersome.

@Savagebeard, you got any recommendations for how to setup the game nicely? Which launcher/assistant, Steam or Razer is better?
I saw screenshot of Enhanced Client with much clearer UI. Can it be be used with Outlands?
SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 05:02:35 pm »

I installed this and tried the beta. Never played UO before.

Seems like there is quite a bit of learning curve (as you would expect for older games).

Even basics like attacking monsters aren't that straightforward. I took some time to figure out that you have to go in war -mode to be able to target enemies. The confusing part was that, at first, my guy counterattacked monsters in even peace -mode but at some point not anymore. Lesson learned: read some beginner guide first.

Also everything is so tiny on modern high resolution screens. For example small gold piles and daggers in inventory are like 2x1 mm in size. So you have to be very accurate with your mouse Cheesy Simply double-clicking to loot gold piles doesn't seem to work. You gotta first drag the pile, then click ok to take all X pieces and then you can put it to your backpack. Pretty bothersome.

@Savagebeard, you got any recommendations for how to setup the game nicely? Which launcher/assistant, Steam or Razer is better?
I saw screenshot of Enhanced Client with much clearer UI. Can it be be used with Outlands?

Awesome, I can only say congratulations for downloading it and never tried it before, because you are in for the best game experience in your life.

Definately a learning curve, but it is 100% worth it, it's such a great and in depth game. If you are picking up stacks you can use shift-click to pull the entire stack at the same time (I think it's shift at least).

Unfortunately there's no real way to increase the size of the pixels, you can mess with scaling and so on in Windows but it doesn't turn out very well. You can also change screen resolution in general, which will obviously make pixels larger. The 1x1 pixel gold coins is generally something you find early game fighting newbie mobs, later on they all drop >6 gold which will form a larger pile. Diamonds and gems are still annoying though since they are so small to loot (but valuable!)

For the setup I can recommend what I personally use. I use Razor and play at about 1280x1030 resolution. Some people say Steam is better, but I didnt use it personally. Steam has stuff like grid-loot though, which can make looting a bit easier.

The enhanced client that you saw isn't possible for Outlands, because some restrictions have to be made since there are some "cheaty" functions in certain assistants, such as auto-target or auto-loot. Such things need to be limited for balance in PvP for example, to make it more skilled.

There is an additional client in Outlands, and that's a combination of Orion+Razor (custom developed), which brings a lot of new stuff. It's not 100% bug free, but it's worth a try if you are interested (find it here: https://github.com/jaedan/OrionUO/releases)
FORTOCHKA(ua)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 05:46:38 pm »

Ultima still alive??omg

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:44:18 pm »

Ultima still alive??omg

Ultima Online never died, it has been alive & well on freeshards since I started (rediscovered) it in 2011 Smiley And it's just getting better and better.
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:20:00 pm »

Ok, Thanks SavageBeard!

I found some beginner guides.

Interface and basics explained:
http://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/completely-new-to-uo-guide.662/

Good build for beginner:
http://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/a-noobies-guide-to-starting-outlands.485/

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:53:43 pm »

Yes good guides. Just to point out that since this server is quite custom, you are better off reading a specific guide just like you have found here, if you just google about UO you may find all sorts of things that don't apply to this specific shard.  Just Mining Da Stone
SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 03:32:40 pm »

Just a few screenshots for the sake of hype:

APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »

Did you play UO before?

Nope! What am I in for?

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 09:32:46 pm »

Did you play UO before?

Nope! What am I in for?

A wild ride for sure  Humans Vs Beast Prepare for anarchy, blood, sweat and tears! Actually you can even be a pirate if you want to  Beast Mist Prepare for up to 2000 players on an open world map with full loot, full PvP, murder anyone you want (at your own risk, atlhough NPC guards are there to protect most towns - otherwise good luck), amazing PvM, amazing crafting, player housing, a thousand awesome systems, fully fleshed out extremely detailed huge world

Here's the 1-week-before-launch AMA:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:36:01 pm by SavageBeard » Logged
SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 06:23:59 pm »

Final reminder:

Launching tomorrow 27th @ 11 AM EST

What is EST? -> https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/est
SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 02:26:15 pm »

Been up for 2 weeks now. Super smooth and stable. 1600 players so far as the maximum. If you want to try a fantastic MMO, you don't want to miss out!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: